IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Club liability

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

I agree with the thrust of what you are saying. Subaru spend millions on a rallying campaign to build and strengthen their brand image. Why would they spend a red cent trying to strongarm a small group of loyal supporters and fans and dumba$$ mechanics??

Joe
Well, case in point, there was a local shop here that was started by a group of toyota master techs. They opened and operated the shop under the name "Toyota Masters". As soon as toyota heard about it, you guessed it, the name is now "The Dealer Alternative". Now the dumba$$ mechanics could have formed a little group to fix friend & families cars, for no profit and not had a problem. But as soon as they started taking money...change the name or legal action.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<Not tyring to throw a spanner in the works, just trying to work backwards to a solution!>>

That would be a "monkey spanner" here in the colonies, James . Seriously, your pessimism is very much needed to call us zealots to take notice.

I still think we should go forward and wait for the "cease and desist." We can always change our logo if needs be. Our emphasis, of course, will be toward "not for profit" and not "enterprise" and hope for the best. BTW, what is your line of work?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-11-2001, 05:40 AM
tat2skullz

quote: Very true. Forgive me if any thinks I am the eternal pessimist but in my line of work, it pays to think "worst case scenario" - it allows a more rapid and effective, not to mention preconsidered, response if the scenario eventuates!!!

HAHA! No need to ask for forgivness (I don't thik, at least). Everyone's thoughts, comments and experiences are a valuable asset to the group!

I would imagine (and hope) that if this organization were obvious about being a not for profit group, it would ruffle no feathers. I would agree that if we were somehow making any money for personal gain using someone else's branding that we would then be (and should be) accountable and liable.

The funny part is, SOA and FHI created a financial loser when they developed and produced the SVX. So, if they barely escaped this money pit, I don't see how a small group (relatively speaking) of enthusiasts could possibly take the ba$tard child of Subaru and turn a profit ! If we did, SOA better damn well hire us... !

Seth

:edited for spelling and grammar.... hope I got them all, Aredub

Last edited by tat2skullz; 05-11-2001 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<:edited for spelling and grammar.... hope I got them all, Aredub>>

Excellent! The "spell check" feature of this board is one of its most wonderful attributes. Albiet one we (yes, I said, we, as in, me) fail to use as often as we should.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 05-12-2001 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Well, Jamsvx must apoligize fur eny speling misstaces that he made sinince he did not c the funkchun for speling korectchun!!

I was thinking that SOA would be hopping mad that we are so dedicated and doing, for free, what their well-paid spin-doctors could not accomplish - actually getting the merits of the SVX to become evident and as such, more popular. I vote that SOA (and S of Oz for me!) appoint us all designers of the SVX replacement.....although if the keyring and site design forums are anything to go by, 3 years later we will be still debating whether an SVX needs a retractable hardtop whilst retaining the windows, an 800hp quad turbo flat 12 (apparently they did do a prototype of a flat 12 - I have a picture in a non-car magazine somewhere in my room) 6 speed manual or sequential and glass or plastic headlight covers. *joking of course*

Does anyone remember the 'Homer' car from the Simpsons!!!

More seriously, in a nutshell what I was saying re: the club was whether our collection of fanatics, all contributing for free (eg advice or in my case, paying for items so as to display them freely!) and all feeling quite equal and having that warm fuzzy feeling of community, would benefit from a move to a more formalised structure with a hierarchy of position and bringing with it the attention of SOA and any other entity that, for whatever reason, wanted to make our lives difficult. I kinda like the 'rebel/fan of unknown outcast car' that we have here!!!

If this is compared to eddycats example:

Quote:
Well, case in point, there was a local shop here that was started by a group of toyota master techs. They opened and operated the shop under the name "Toyota Masters". As soon as toyota heard about it, you guessed it, the name is now "The Dealer Alternative". Now the dumba$$ mechanics could have formed a little group to fix friend & families cars, for no profit and not had a problem. But as soon as they started taking money...change the name or legal action
then we have to think about the possible results, remote as they may seem. And if we charge money, then money changes hands - plain and simple. And since it would centre around the SVX, SOA would, I imagine and quite reasonably from an outsiders view, jump up and down that money is being traded on the focus of a group with such focus, the SVX, being Subaru's property.

As for what I do, lets just say I have seen this happen all too often......mechanics, fast food outlets, start-up companies.....all to have big business employ tactics to shut them down - end game.

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-11-2001, 08:40 PM
go2svx

I like "SVX World Network" as well. I just gave up my membership in the Quattro Club, so it is nice to see an SVX club being formed. The dues for the Quattro club were $40.00 per year. They published a high quality magazine each quarter, and organized driving schools at race local race tracks.

I would love to see us all us East-coasters take the SVX's to Summit Point for some performance driving tips. If enough of us are interested, we could have our own day with only SVX's like the Quattro Club, the BMW club and the Porsche Club all do. It is not very expensive really. Anyone interested?
Old 05-11-2001, 08:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by go2svx
I like "SVX World Network" as well. I just gave up my membership in the Quattro Club, so it is nice to see an SVX club being formed. The dues for the Quattro club were $40.00 per year. They published a high quality magazine each quarter, and organized driving schools at race local race tracks.

I would love to see us all us East-coasters take the SVX's to Summit Point for some performance driving tips. If enough of us are interested, we could have our own day with only SVX's like the Quattro Club, the BMW club and the Porsche Club all do. It is not very expensive really. Anyone interested?
One of our fellow SVXers is already racing at Summit Point. He runs an AWD and his son runs an FWD. You'll need to hook up with him. His name is Harry Newman and he and his son Autocross their SVXes up and down the east coast.

So, did the Quattro club make up their own "stuff" and use the Audi logo and on and on? And did Audi, at any time, try to shut you down? I mean, money did change hands. ->->->
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 01:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Talking

Ha ha!!! I just cannot stop myself laughing!!!!

Prevention better than the cure is all I have to say!!!!

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-12-2001, 06:46 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
New Club

Randy,
Count me in. I'll spend some time going through the threads and try to catch up.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-12-2001, 11:37 AM

Registered SVX
Re: New Club

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx
Randy,
Count me in. I'll spend some time going through the threads and try to catch up.
Harry
Harry, great! Keep us posted on how your racing season goes. We may have to add a new section for all you Autocrossers and Dragsters to post your results. Sith, oh Sith . . .
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 11:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Ha ha!!! I just cannot stop myself laughing!!!!

Prevention better than the cure is all I have to say!!!!

Jamsvx
James, I couldn't help myself. I was laughing the whole time I was writing it. I was saying to myself, "damn, I sound like Perry Mason!" I thought you'd enjoy it.

Meanwhile, go2svx, where were you on the night of the 17th? Oh, sorry, wrong question. In order to help us understand further the "value for dues" issue, what, besides the magazine did you get for your 40.00 membership, and, did you feel you were getting "value" for being a member? If so, what did you feel was the "value" of membership. (I know it's hard to believe, folks, but I'm being serioius in asking these questions -- anyone else who's been the member of a similar club, please feel free to answer the questions also and give your input --- point being, if no one from other clubs sees "value" in membership, we may as well shut this thread down now.)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 04:41 PM
go2svx

Well first off the magazine was of excellent quality, but it would not need to be as many pages for an SVX club. There were lots of Ads from dealers for parts discounts for members. Articles about the different events held by the club with pictures of those who attended and many of their cars. Also coordination and registration of events and driving schools for those on each coast or region. This resulted in discounts for driving schools that normally would be more expensive. As well, it allowed the schools to be "only" Audi cars. It would be nice to have a day at the track (not real racing, just against the clock) each year just for SVX's. The strength of numbers is needed. I felt that I received my money's worth from it, and I never really had the Audi long enough to benefit as much as possible, since I came back to an SVX after only one year. I for one would pay the price gladly

ps - The magazine provides a more "collectable" form of keeping the club history as well
Old 05-12-2001, 04:51 PM
go2svx

Aredubjay

No Audi supported the whole idea. It is nothing but good publicitiy for them. As long as the club is not trying to make a profit off of the name Subaru, I would expect that they would be glad to see an SVX club as well as a WRX club. Money may change hands but nothing is being sold under the guise of making a profit by associating with the Subaru name.

What I have seen before as well is where a special car has it's own club as independent but directly linked to the larger organization of the national club for the manufacturer of the car. IE: have the SVX club, be a sub-division of a the Subaru Club. (Funny thing is, I don't even know if there is a Subaru Club in the U.S.) Just an idea.
Old 05-12-2001, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks go2, that's some good info (especially that you came back to the SVX after an Audi )

Yes, there is quite an active Subaru Club. It is all-inclusive and everyone with a Subaru is welcomed to join. Dues are reasonable (20.00 first year 15.00 for each year thereafter). I don't think they do a split on models. But, they do have regional chapters.

I, personally, would like an exclusive SVX club, independent of all others. Call me a "freak." I've said it all along, I'm an SVX fan, not a Subaru fan (and that's not to "put down" anyone with any other kind of Subaru -- let me make that perfectly clear).

The "collectibility" of the printed piece as a history of the organization is a good point. Hopefully we can get something off the ground soon.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-13-2001, 12:32 PM
go2svx

Glad to help.

Just to clairfy, my suggestion. It was not to have the SVX owners be part of the Subaru Club per se. Rather the SVX club would be a wholly independent club, but attached to the larger club to lessen expenses, like for a dedicated club web page, etc. A good example that I can think of is the "Reatta" Club. It is a two seater Buick from 88-91. They have their own club, with a dedicated web site including thier own message board software. Yet it is a sub-division of the Buick Owners Club. It allows more efficient use of resources, since with few cars, there are less dollars to be pooled by the members. Those who have other Subaru cars can use the same member name and same server, just different web page for access to the bigger club. Those who only want SVX info, can bookmark directly to the sub-site for the SVX club in their browser.

Anyways, just one suggestion. I am open to whatever the majority wants, especially those who have helped create the environments and sites we use now. They deserve the most influence in my opinion. People like you, and SVXIT, and others.