SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 AM

No 2nd gear?

Good morning all,

I bought my '92 Claret under the premise that the only transmission problem was either a bad TCU or solenoid because it was stuck in limp mode (3rd gear & reverse only). The guy I bought it from had already pulled the ECU and TCU to get the numbers off of them, so I went ahead and checked them out. Sure enough, the TCU's circuits were fried. I ordered a new TCU and installed it yesterday morning; now it seems like the car has no 2nd gear at all.

If I shift it in D, the car doesn't want to move at all (Icingdeath88 has already suggested this is a TPS adjustment issue), but when I shift into 1 with the manual mode active, it takes off just fine. Shift to second and it's like I shifted up to Neutral; there is no grab at all. Shift to 3 & D and the car moves along fine. I should also mention that the Power light is not flashing

Another test I did was at a standstill with foot on the brake, going from Park to Reverse, you get that drop in RPM and slight nudge from the transmission shifting like normal, and the same thing happens in 1st. Going to 2nd is like going into Neutral or Park, like there's nothing there at all.

All the above said, my mind is thinking that rather than a burned up clutch pack or band, there's a valve sticking somewhere that's preventing 2nd from engaging at all. Anyone have any insight on this? I know my way around an engine pretty well, but I'm totally lost when it comes to an automatic trans.