How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Scottsubarus

buying a 92SVX....advice?

We have 4 Subarus in our family and I have worked at a Subaru dealership in the early 90's

My son found a 92SVX AWD Black. locally. The price is 2,500 and it has 128K miles. I now work for a major transmission remanufacturer and know how the trannies have problems. The tranny has been replaced already with a SOA reman unit. I'm not sure if an addl cooler has been installed yet (we will if not) It has had dr side rear wheel brg replaced. The other things we found amiss are:

Climate control is stuck, all air comes out a/c ducts. We can hear the accuator trying to move the doors. The car has an aftermarket radio installed, we think it might be jammed on a rod or something.......any other ideas???

The fuel gage erratic, moves accross the dial slowly up and down

P. steering leak...drips off the dr side by the tire

Car overall is in great shape! and drove and shifted well. He had 2 SVX's for sale (another 92) he bought this one to take the engine out of it and install in a V/W vanagoon to replace a XT6 engine he has in it now!

Anyway what might be some other things to inspect and look out for??

Thanks!
Scott
Old 04-09-2003, 02:15 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

he bought this svx to swap out the motor..... so does that mean the svx has a xt motor now?

other than that.... assuming that if you work at a major tranny remanufacturer means you can do all the work yourself, or have them done affordably.... the car sounds ok to me.... maybe check rotors??
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Will reply when I get back from a testdrive.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Green1995SVX

I think he means he bought it to swap out the motor, but then never did.

Mike
Old 04-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: buying a 92SVX....advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by scottsubarus
Climate control is stuck, all air comes out a/c ducts. We can hear the actuator trying to move the doors. The car has an aftermarket radio installed, we think it might be jammed on a rod or something.......any other ideas???
Most likely the foam seals on the door are full of oily goo causing them to stick. A small extra finger pressure on the arm will usually cure that until next summer.

Quote:
The fuel gage erratic, moves across the dial slowly up and down
Most likely a fuel level resistor inside the tank. Just use the Odometer and fill up every 300 miles. I can't find a part number for the resistor itself and the whole pickup assembly is $150.00

Quote:
P. steering leak...drips off the dr side by the tire
Driver's side is Tranny lines. Passenger side has the Power Steering lines. By the tire are the two hoses from hell that connect the metal lines of the tranny to the metal lines of the engine runner. They are only a few inches long, but you need two people to get the clamps off. One underneath with about 3 or four 6" extensions and another at the top to hold the socket onto the clamp while its being turned by first person. When I swapped my engine last month, those two little hoses removing and re-installing were the most time consuming part of the entire process.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Scottsubarus

Got the car tonight and had one major problem on the way home. Stopped for gas and car woulden't restart (no crank) because of the security system. After slamming the trunk hard car started. My question: what can we do to disengage the security system so it has no effect on the starting of the car.

Scott
Old 04-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Scottsubarus

The guy had a XT6 engine in his VW van. Looked like a nifty install!! goes to show anything is possible.

The SVX has sluggish power steering assist, assume it must be a rack assy. and it feels like struts need replaced too. Time and money is all she needs!!

Scott
Old 04-09-2003, 10:08 PM
alacrity024

make sure the PS belt is tight.. a couple cranks on that nut can to wonders for the ease of the steering..

-adam