Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 01:32 AM
StaceyVX

I need advice...Please read.

I am looking at a SVX and I need some advice/opinions.

The gargae-kept car is a 92 with 170,000 miles. The radiator was just replaced (he said it didn't need to be, though) and has gotten a new paint job 3 years ago. The body inside and out looks awesome. He's asking $3500.

Now here are my questions. When can I expect to replace the engine? I know they last awhile, but I was wondering if the price was worth it. How much does it cost for a new/reconditioned engine? I was told as long as the engine is taken care of, it's
"bulletproof".

It supposedly has the original trans. He has the cooler, but didn't put it in. He changed the timing belts 30,000 or so miles ago. I have pictures of all areas of the car and under the hood is nice and clean.

He said the only 2 downfalls are that there is a crack on the front windshield of the passenger's side and the power steering is leaking so what he does is after he's done driving it, he tops it off with power steering fluid because he hasn't had a chance to get it fixed.

As for the price, I asked him why he was selling it and apparently this is his 3rd car and is only a weekend car. His wife says it's not necessary and they are tight for money. He lives in the NY and I live in PA so I'm trying to cover as many bases as possible. Is all of this worth it or does a SVX produce more problems than fun?

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Stacey

Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 018a.jpg (142.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 04-05-2003, 01:45 AM
SVXdriver_007

Stacey?

Are the rims apart of the deal? 170k miles is pretty high but I guess not to bad there are definately people here who could speek better. Power steering could cost you anywhere form the price of a hose to close to a grand to fix. Does the guy know where the leak is? I'd want to know that before I bought the car. I've seen cars on ebay w less miles and no (mentioned) problems go for less or the same.

At a minimum I'd try and find where the PS leak is and what it will cost you then take say half off the price.

Is he using PS fluid or ATF because it is supposed to be ATF.

If I come off as educated on this matter it is because I spent 2500 on a 92 lsl under the impression that it had a minor ps leak and now i need a rack, pump, radiator, tires, an exhaust system, a wheel bearing and some hoses before she road worthy, (see how stupid people get punished (oh the stupid person is me...not you of course) )

good luck and welcome

Shane
Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 AM
StaceyVX

I'll have to add that to my list of questions I'm going to ask when I call him tomorrow. This is so hard because he lives 2 hours away or more and I'm trying to evaluate from a distance. It doesn't help that I'm not a mechanic or anything. Mainly, I just don't want to get ripped off and trade my cheesy, but reliable car in for a money pit. Thanks and double thanks for welcoming me.
Stacey
P.S. Sadly, the rims don't come with it. He said they were annoying and put stock wheels back on.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:05 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
I'll have to add that to my list of questions I'm going to ask when I call him tomorrow. This is so hard because he lives 2 hours away or more and I'm trying to evaluate from a distance. It doesn't help that I'm not a mechanic or anything. Mainly, I just don't want to get ripped off and trade my cheesy, but reliable car in for a money pit. Thanks and double thanks for welcoming me.
Stacey
P.S. Sadly, the rims don't come with it. He said they were annoying and put stock wheels back on.

I understand I bought my car from a guy about two hours away as well. I'm not a mechanic and to top it off I make impulse buys I wanted the car so without really checking it I handed the guy the cash. The car can cost some cash if it has problems.
With no rims and ps problem I'd offer 3k and that is pending everything else is in good conditon. if you check www.kbb.com under from private seller you'll find that the difference in value between a "good" and "excelent" car is almost a thousand dollars. and depending how big the PS problem is the car won't even rate as good.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:13 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Stacey,

170 is not a bad age. I consider it to be around 35-38 year old in human life.

I have an engine with 199978 miles as of 3 hours ago. Engine is running fine (knocks on wood).

Like anything 11 years old, you should know that you may have to replace some parts in the engine but it is normal. I am talking about things like seals and such.

As for the power steering, it could be one of 2 things. They normally go wrong on the car this old.
1. O Ring - 15 cents at the store and 1 hour to fix. or
2. s shaped return hose/pipe. 75 bucks and 130ish to fix at the dealer.

He is suppose to use ATF for the PS fluid. A very close friend of mine and a member here (Mohrds) replaced his engine and he got an engine with 50k on her for a very reasonable price. It is so reasonable that I should stock up on SVX engines.

As for the windshield, you might want to get an estimate on fixing it if it is fixable. Otherwise, a new one run as high as 900-1000 USD. I am not kidding. Or get a glass insurance.

Keep the stock wheels. They look nicer. From looking at the picture and the year of the car, it is not a moneypit. As far as I Know, there is only one money pit. Long story.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:47 AM
StaceyVX

SVXdriver_007, I make impulse buys, too and since I want a SVX so bad and this one looks great and isn't all that expensive, I want to hop on it, but I'm also nervous about it. I was contemplating seeing if he would meet somewhere I could have someone check it out, but I don't know where and I don't know how many places are open on Saturday. I was thinking to offer 3K as well since he said he would go down in price a little bit. And I did notice the big difference on KBB between a "good" and "excellent". I really wish it wasn't 2 hours away.

Lwin, I didn't think 170K was that bad. Someone told me an engine could last up to 500K if taken care of. Is that true?
I'm also wondering about that PS because it can either be something that will be a little costly or chump change. And about the engines, maybe you should stock up and I'll buy one from you. haha. But if they last as long as you say, I guess with luck I won't need one. As for the windshield, I am going to ask how deep of a crack it is. He says it's not visible from the driver's side, but it will still be something that would bother me. I'm a perfectionist and having a crack in the window defeats the purpose of having a nice car. On another board, someone told me there weren't any aftermarket windshields. I just figured to look for a parts car. Was he wrong? Oh, and the rims weren't really me. I'd feel weird with those.

Thanks to both of you for replying. I still wish I had SVX experience or mechanic expertise for when I go see it. I don't want to make a mistake. Oh and I don't know if it helps at all (it probably doesnt, but I attached a pic of under the hood.)

*Stacey*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 122.jpg (155.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 04-05-2003, 03:50 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Like some of the others, the windshield would be my greatest concern. They're very expensive, and no reputable glass shop will guarantee that they can get a replacement out of a junkyard intact, even if they find one. The transmission may, or may not, be good for twice the mileage. The problem with that is, if it goes, plan on paying for the car twice. These are very sweet cars, that's for sure. They should be worth much more money than they're getting - but they're not. Personally, I'd wait until I could afford a better, newer (I personally don't like '92's - it's just me.), SVX.

Good luck. Hope to see you here again.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-05-2003, 04:04 PM
pittkid333

buy mine
Old 04-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Superbeast

Wasions has 92 envy, everyone knows there faster.

The engine looks way to clean to have a leak at the pump,
I'm guessing rack or hose.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:43 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by pittkid333
buy mine
How much are you selling it for?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:51 PM
StaceyVX

wasions, yea, the windshield factor really bothers me.
That might be a main concern of why I might not get it other than this PS leaking.

Thanks for looking at the pic for me, subafreak. I still have to call him, but I'm going to sound like retard when I do.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Hater

try www.autotrader.com ? that's where i found mine. enter your zip code, how much you want to spend, how far from your zip, etc.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 PM
pittkid333

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=9776

Here's the info...If you want P.M. me and we'll talk
Old 04-05-2003, 06:02 PM
StaceyVX

Landshark, good idea. I tried AutoShopperOnline, but forgot about AutoTrader.

Pittkid, actually I did look at your car post the other day. Sadly, it's more than my budget can handle. Sorry.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 PM
pittkid333

You have a p.m.