How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Hater

if you leave the bra on when its wet, your paint will get cloudy - or worse (i've seen what happens!). the car must be COMPLETELY dry when re-installing after car washes or rain. too much of a PITA for me. if you're re-painting the whole section the bra covers, then don't worry about it

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
if you leave the bra on when its wet, your paint will get cloudy - or worse (i've seen what happens!). the car must be COMPLETELY dry when re-installing after car washes or rain. too much of a PITA for me. if you're re-painting the whole section the bra covers, then don't worry about it
The hood is dented all along the front end of the nose. The bumper has a tailpipe sized cookie cut in it and the pass'rs side fender has two deep dimples from a Land Rover. I don't think I'm gonna worry too much about cloudy paint. The driver's side fender is perfect, but, I figure any cloudiness can be buffed out or blended when I can afford to get the necessary repairs made -- say in 10 or 12 years.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Hater

just don't "pad" that bra - you won't fool us!

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-27-2002, 05:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
just don't "pad" that bra - you won't fool us!
I would never do that. But, I would use a tater in my zebras.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2002, 09:44 PM
deadeye95

Quote:
I figure any cloudiness can be buffed out or blended when I can afford to get the necessary repairs made -- say in 10 or 12 years.
When the paint on my roof went cloudy, it just went. A paint and body guy at my gym said that Japanese cars have thin paint with cleacoat cover, when it goes......

I notice you have identical cars with different names. When do you rename one "parts car"? Is that your intention?? (Don't say if it'll jinx you). You long termers will need one each.

After the parts are gone.....the first five wheeled, nine cylindered, nuclear powered, missile firing with optional gunbarrel attachment thing that comes on the road I'm buying.....
Old 09-27-2002, 10:49 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95

When the paint on my roof went cloudy, it just went. A paint and body guy at my gym said that Japanese cars have thin paint with cleacoat cover, when it goes......

I notice you have identical cars with different names. When do you rename one "parts car"? Is that your intention?? (Don't say if it'll jinx you). You long termers will need one each.

After the parts are gone.....the first five wheeled, nine cylindered, nuclear powered, missile firing with optional gunbarrel attachment thing that comes on the road I'm buying.....

I will keep both on the road for as long as is feasible. If one dies, beyond repair, then, and only then, will it become a parts car. I shudder to think of it. I actually bought the second one because we needed a third car, since my daughter had begun driving. I was hard pressed to find another car with all the features and amenities for the low, low price of 3,500.00 -- especially since it had a new tranny, a new radiator and Koni's all the way 'round, along with a KC performance exhaust. Seemed the perfect "toy" for me, allowing my wife to drive the more pristine (she drives less than I, so, it'll get less wear). My daughter has been relegated to the family Caravan. Although, when allowed to drive the SVX to pick up her brother from school one day, pulled into the driveway, stepped out of the car, and said "Daddy. Looks like we're going to have to get another one."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2002, 11:31 PM

Registered SVX
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help in this matter. I've gotten a lot of great instruction.

<grumble, grumble -- this clip goes . . . and this hook goes . . . and this goes -- grumble, grumble>
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2002, 11:36 PM
deadeye95

I bet I know how your daughter feels being relegated to a Caravan!! How many guys married with 2.3 kids have I passed in flames, with them explaining to their wives what a reckless "potential child killer" I was.....wishing to change places.

Remember, mine will be available in a few years, it's red, your son would love it!!! Rust-free southwest car!!
Old 09-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
I bet I know how your daughter feels being relegated to a Caravan!! How many guys married with 2.3 kids have I passed in flames, with them explaining to their wives what a reckless "potential child killer" I was.....wishing to change places.

Remember, mine will be available in a few years, it's red, your son would love it!!! Rust-free southwest car!!
Relegation to the mini-van is strategic. My daughter is a very attractive young lady (and I'm not being predjudiced). The mix of attractive young lady + svx = the death of young men in droves when dad gets the shotgun out.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-28-2002, 05:11 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Relegation to the mini-van is strategic. My daughter is a very attractive young lady (and I'm not being predjudiced). The mix of attractive young lady + svx = the death of young men in droves when dad gets the shotgun out.
Um... are you sure that's a good strategy? Have you ever seen the Dodge Caravan and Viper commercial? Vans have more room... And there's too many things that could poke you in a '92 SVX... power seat belts, belt clips... err... nevermind.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92

Um... are you sure that's a good strategy? Have you ever seen the Dodge Caravan and Viper commercial? Vans have more room... And there's too many things that could poke you in a '92 SVX... power seat belts, belt clips... err... nevermind.
don't say that, you will give Randy a heart attack!

LMAO!!!!!!

and my mom was worried about my hatchback...lol the PROBE!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:16 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92

BEE HAAAAVE!!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
In all seriousness

Randy, when you said thanks, did you get the help you needed, or were you being sarcastic?
I've searched everywhere for my instruction sheet, and unfortunately can't find it.
But I will say this: the instruction sheet that comes with a new bra is very vague. It tells the basic steps and has 1 very poor illustration of the front of the car. But it gives no details where the hooks for the air dam specifically go, etc. It just says, put hooks in front openings. I had to figure out myself where they would fit best.
The rest is pretty self explanitory, the tabs go between the bumper and headlights, center grille. And the corners that go over the fender into the engine bay hopefully still have the other half of the velcro stuck to the them so you can take it on and off.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 09-29-2002, 10:54 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

the PROBE!
Kelli
Are there a lot to probe in a probe?

-- Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-29-2002, 10:54 AM

Registered SVX
Re: In all seriousness

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Randy, when you said thanks, did you get the help you needed, or were you being sarcastic?
I've searched everywhere for my instruction sheet, and unfortunately can't find it.
But I will say this: the instruction sheet that comes with a new bra is very vague. It tells the basic steps and has 1 very poor illustration of the front of the car. But it gives no details where the hooks for the air dam specifically go, etc. It just says, put hooks in front openings. I had to figure out myself where they would fit best.
The rest is pretty self explanitory, the tabs go between the bumper and headlights, center grille. And the corners that go over the fender into the engine bay hopefully still have the other half of the velcro stuck to the them so you can take it on and off.
Troy,
I was being sarcastic. No help from this group of jokers. But, like I said, I guess I deserve it.

I spent about twenty minutes trying to figure out how to put the bumper part of the bra on, yesterday. Then, I got PO'd and threw it on a shelf in the garage. While a sat and stewed, I had an interesting thought, "Maybe you were trying to put it on upside down." I tried again, and YES, that was the problem. Things began to fall into place (D'OH!).

I finally got it all put together and everything is situated nicely. I only have two problems: where do the stiff tabs (the things thas look like large tongue depressors) on the bottom (especially on each side) attach? The ones in the front just seem to fold under, nicely. The second problem is (and I'm sure it's just a matter of flexibility), I can't seem to stretch the sides, where the seams will match up line at the top of the bumper. Perhaps that will come over time. Of course, the more I try to pull the seams to match the bumper line, the more of the bottom of the bumper is exposed. It's like trying to choose whether you want to show more cheek or more crack when putting on a pair of Zebra striped bikini underwear.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-29-2002 at 01:04 PM.