Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 01:03 PM
billisa

Stealth SVX?

In CT we don't have to have a front license plate, so I took the plate and plate holder off the car. Anyway, approaching a "YOUR SPEED IS: XX" radar set up, the car before me got a quick and clear reading, but when I went by the numbers went haywire, then posted a value when I was almost on top of the sign. Given the small drag coefficient, and without the flat plate on the front, does radar have a hard time with an approaching SVX?
Old 09-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Green1995SVX

I've noticed this myself. I would be interested to find the answer.

-Mike
Old 09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Try the stealth wax and the paint that they use on the F117. Now we are talking. If only you can out run a police cruiser.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-04-2002, 01:29 PM

i actually went though one of those thingy's the other day. it registered mine fine...even though my speedo was 1mph off...

there is a story here about a phantom on route 80 clocking at 160mph. finially the cops got smart and put up a road block. turned out to be a lamborgini that was totally black, black windows, rims, no lights, a silencer on the exhaust and engine with a guy behind the steering wheel with night vision running drugs in from NY.. that was a stealth mode and a half...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i actually went though one of those thingy's the other day. it registered mine fine...even though my speedo was 1mph off...

there is a story here about a phantom on route 80 clocking at 160mph. finially the cops got smart and put up a road block. turned out to be a lamborgini that was totally black, black windows, rims, no lights, a silencer on the exhaust and engine with a guy behind the steering wheel with night vision running drugs in from NY.. that was a stealth mode and a half...

Kelli
I want that car. Along with everything in it. Make me a fortune.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<there is a story here about a phantom on route 80 clocking at 160mph. finially the cops got smart and put up a road block. turned out to be a lamborgini that was totally black, black windows, rims, no lights, a silencer on the exhaust and engine with a guy behind the steering wheel with night vision running drugs in from NY.. that was a stealth mode and a half... >>

They'd probably still be running drugs if they would have chosen a bone stock Pontiac Bonneville and drove closer to the speed limit.

I really want a night vision camera with a long lens so I can photograph all the drug deals up the street. Seeing as how my rifle aim ain't getting any better

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-04-2002, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mohrds
[They'd probably still be running drugs if they would have chosen a bone stock Pontiac Bonneville and drove closer to the speed limit.

i think they would have done even better with a Ford Aerostar with a four person family with the golden retriever in the back..

Kelli

but then again i am not into running drugs
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:51 PM

<<but then again i am not into running drugs>>

Sure you're not... we believe you... (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-04-2002, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
<<but then again i am not into running drugs>>

Sure you're not... we believe you... (nudge nudge, wink wink)

Doug

okayyyyyyy....you caught me...

but they are only good drugs....you do them too.....

caffinee, nicotine, and chocolate!! (and the latest patch for svx withdrawl)

Kelli nudge nudge

i hide them in my antenna....
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 09-04-2002, 02:14 PM

<<caffinee, nicotine, and chocolate!! (and the latest patch for svx withdrawl)>>

Well, I hate to disappoint you (why does that have a familiar ring...) but I quit both nicotine and caffeine so I'm down to just chocolate.

<<i hide them in my antenna....>>
That's where I keep my brains, but there's plenty extra room in there...

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 09-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Seems that story about the lambo is pretty popular these days. I heard about it doing 190mph on I-95, and 210mph in the arizona desert. I guess that guy just never learns, huh?

As for the subject of the thread, i think that was probably x-band radar. K and Ka bands require very little car to reflect off of, but x-band only works well with a nice flat reflective surface. A friend of mine has an x-band gun that we used to play with alot, never did work on the SVX.

Last edited by Shadow248; 09-04-2002 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:09 PM

Could it have been laser? I know that when laser is used to read a speed on a vehicle, it's usually aimed at the license plate, as plates are quite reflective. I don't know if you've heard of a product called the Defuser Plus. But it's a frame that mounts on over your license plate that supposedly jams laser. I've heard it's about 40% affective from tests that have been done on it. I'm thinking about getting one.
Anyway, If you had your front plate off, this might explain why you didn't get a reading untill you were "on top of it."
Then again, I'm not sure if laser would be used in an automated system like this, as you would think there would need to be a police officer manually aiming it at your plate.
PS. Sorry for deviating from the deviated topic
Old 09-05-2002, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Also you can't outrun the radio, no matter how fast your car is

As for drug running. I'd take a mini-van with the kids and lots of micky mouse parafanalia in the car. It's amazing, I see these drug-thugs being pulled out of their hoopties on I95 near the GWB and they're all pimp. I just say to myself "why not just paint 'I'm a drug dealer' on your shirt!"

-mike
Old 09-05-2002, 12:47 PM

I think the SVX would be easy to see by police radar. Some of the automated "warning the speed limit is XX and you're going YY" machines have the power turned down so the driver is close when it flashes you. That's done so that a big truck a half-mile behind you doesn't overide the signal - happens in the real world - I think Car & Driver did a thing on large truck cross-sections falsely setting off radars about 10-15 years ago - back in their bad boys stage.

Anyway, if you want stealth, two choices, coatings (really expensive or really impractical), or minimize cross-section - primarily reducing metal pointing directly back in the direction of travel (steath fighter).

Two go-fast cars pretty good at this are Corvettes and MR2 turbos. The MR2 has a plastic front with radiator tilted forward, plastic fans, metal bulkhead behind isn't flat to the direction of travel. I used to drive an MR2 and go past these automated systems about every other day (popular around here). In an unscientific estimate, and considering days with no other cars around, I would guess the MR2 got about 2 or 3 times closer than the SVX before the sign lit up. I even experimented with speeding up as I approached the sign with something like an SUV behind me - the MR2 would become invisible based on the SUV cross-sectional return.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:38 PM

cars and radar

turned out to be a lamborgini that was totally black, black windows, rims, no lights, a silencer on the exhaust and engine with a guy behind the steering wheel with night vision running drugs in from NY.. that was a stealth mode and a half...

Kelli

I've heard a tale of this same sort in GA.......

As far as Radar goes.... Now I can't send you to a URL for what I'm about to say.

PLus my memory doesn't work well sometimes. I was told, by a few smart engineer. That most laser guns usually have an officer with them ( they are Expensive afterall) The X, K, and KA( photo) can be used in a automated scene..
On my way to Lafayett, I noticed serveral of these devices on the road. I also noticed how it always GOT MY speed WRONG.
It was Lower=)... which is a good thing... Cause well, nevermind..

THis engineer went on to say that the Timed radar systems( vascar) which is old as the hills, was also mathmaticaly 2 mph off.
SOmething in the formula of time/distance. Also that Radar Guns if not calibrated correctly will Clock Leaves at 70mph.
That is with the older stuff though, tHe beam width starts to get wider and wider as it travels out..

If you want to play with Radar, you need I think what is called an Oscilator.. um I never said it was leagal to install such a device, have it set for particular frequencies like X band, K band, KA which is in the GHZ range. in therory it would possibly cause radar guns to just act stupid. You are activly broadcasting a signal not passively.

As for the SVX, I don't know, but noticed the same thing.
Can't be a bad thing now can it.

THe less metal or reflective material in front, the BETTER.. As the plates are AImed for... THis I know... Rear plates are also aimed for along with Reflectors like Brake lights..
see ya guys
SVX1999