Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Boy, you sure know how to tempt fate, don'tcha?
HA! If I didn't, I'd be driving a different car.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-24-2002, 11:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Got my replacement TCU today. Swapped it out in the parking lot at work. Seems to be working as good as the test unit. I'll have the weekend to make sure before I send the test unit, supplied by my benevolent donor, back to it's rightful home.

This is what the "Network's" all about folks. Very cool.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
This is/was a very interesting thread. However, after reading this thread MY SVX has started showing the exact same symptoms:

- a slight release after turning off the key
- a longer than normal 2-3 (and 3-4 for that matter)
- the feeling of 50/50 AWD distribution

I have not played around with my FWD fuse yet but I will try that on Sunday when I have time to change the plugs.

As of right now I have no current engine or tranny codes. Anyone have a used (working) TCU they don't need. There are no salvaged SVX's anywhere where I live. I'm going to check how much a new TCU will cost me when I go to my favorite dealership tomorrow.

Aredubjay - your current tranny, do you know what year SVX it came out of?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:42 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Aredub,

I feel so bad for disappearing from the forums for the past 6 weeks, because I could've answered the FWD light. Life got too busy.

New Year 2001, my Solenoid C went south. Turns out that one of the wires from the TCU to the Solenoid C decided to detach itself from the Solenoid. This lead to the 50/50 distribution, 14MPG, one new Solenoid C, and 4 1/2 hours of labour at the dealer.

While the Solenoid C failed, it didn't matter whether I had the FWD fuse in or not. Car stayed 50/50 split (as it was designed to as a fail-safe), and FWD light wouldn't come on. TCU did register the Solenoid C code. At first, the FWD light was intermittent, but then it went completely, and I had a lot of fun driving 50/50 on snow, as the back end came out SOOOOO easily.

I'd keep an eye on the binding issue just in case. You should feel it making a simple 90 degree right turn, as I had, if it turns out the Solenoid C was the culprit.

What I'm curious about is how the new TCU has affected the shift points, and fuel economy. Did you end up getting a new one? I sure would like a crisper 2-3 shift, and would sure like to get rid of the morning start acceleration pulsation. As it stands right now, my 2-3 is SUPER long (greater than 1 second) when the tranny is cold, and smooth-long when it's warmed up.

What are the odds I can borrow your TCU at LaFayette?

VK
Old 05-30-2002, 09:45 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Where are all the Canadian Owners?
Here's one canuck owner. But my SVX is from da states.

There's quite a few (several dozens) SVXes in Toronto.

There's one that's neglected at Willowdale Subaru because the owner hasn't touched it in 6 months due to a bad tranny. Such a shame. But I almost always see SVXes at the dealers for servicing, so they must be around.

VK
Old 05-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
But I almost always see SVXes at the dealers for servicing, so they must be around
They come back...thay ALWAYS come back
Old 05-31-2002, 10:27 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
This is/was a very interesting thread. However, after reading this thread MY SVX has started showing the exact same symptoms:

- a slight release after turning off the key
- a longer than normal 2-3 (and 3-4 for that matter)
- the feeling of 50/50 AWD distribution

I have not played around with my FWD fuse yet but I will try that on Sunday when I have time to change the plugs.

As of right now I have no current engine or tranny codes. Anyone have a used (working) TCU they don't need. There are no salvaged SVX's anywhere where I live. I'm going to check how much a new TCU will cost me when I go to my favorite dealership tomorrow.

Aredubjay - your current tranny, do you know what year SVX it came out of?

My current tranny was from a 92 that had been rear-ended. It had 89K on it when it was shipped, so, I had it rebuilt before replacing the Legacy trans with it.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-31-2002, 10:31 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Aredub,

I feel so bad for disappearing from the forums for the past 6 weeks, because I could've answered the FWD light. Life got too busy.

New Year 2001, my Solenoid C went south. Turns out that one of the wires from the TCU to the Solenoid C decided to detach itself from the Solenoid. This lead to the 50/50 distribution, 14MPG, one new Solenoid C, and 4 1/2 hours of labour at the dealer.

While the Solenoid C failed, it didn't matter whether I had the FWD fuse in or not. Car stayed 50/50 split (as it was designed to as a fail-safe), and FWD light wouldn't come on. TCU did register the Solenoid C code. At first, the FWD light was intermittent, but then it went completely, and I had a lot of fun driving 50/50 on snow, as the back end came out SOOOOO easily.

I'd keep an eye on the binding issue just in case. You should feel it making a simple 90 degree right turn, as I had, if it turns out the Solenoid C was the culprit.

What I'm curious about is how the new TCU has affected the shift points, and fuel economy. Did you end up getting a new one? I sure would like a crisper 2-3 shift, and would sure like to get rid of the morning start acceleration pulsation. As it stands right now, my 2-3 is SUPER long (greater than 1 second) when the tranny is cold, and smooth-long when it's warmed up.

What are the odds I can borrow your TCU at LaFayette?

VK
Well, the TCU has done the trick. Apparently all of the Legacy trans, to SVX trans to, TPS changes, to Solenoid changes to . . . whatever, had given my TCU a migraine.

The car is running, shifting, accelerating like NEW. I couldn't be happier. O'course, now I'm gonna have to watch my speed more closely, cuz she just wants to GO!!!

I'm happy it WASN'T the duty solenoid. That would've meant I'd have to take it back to the tranny shop and risk another 30 days of pure h-e-doublehockeysticks.

Thanks again all.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-07-2002, 09:49 PM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Hey all, my internet is disconnected so I am not having a chance to keep up on these forums, too bad for me. I just got back from Hayes Subaru in Duluth, I spend $320 and they did nothing at all for my problem. When I brought it in before they pulled the codes and got 31 for the TPS circuit, so they ordered a "new part" to fix the problem, which turns out to be an actual TPS that had already been replaced. They didn't know what to do when the codes wouldn't clear from the computer, so now they want me to bring it in for a wiring diagnostic. From what I have read here I am thinking that it may be the TCU and now I am wondering what that costs to replace. Do you think that Hayes will be able to narrow the problem down to the TCU, or should I maybe suggest it when I bring it in..... I wish there was an easy way to test it to make sure that this was the problem. Well anyway thanks for any help in advance.

---MIKE---
Old 06-08-2002, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader
Hey all, my internet is disconnected so I am not having a chance to keep up on these forums, too bad for me. I just got back from Hayes Subaru in Duluth, I spend $320 and they did nothing at all for my problem. When I brought it in before they pulled the codes and got 31 for the TPS circuit, so they ordered a "new part" to fix the problem, which turns out to be an actual TPS that had already been replaced. They didn't know what to do when the codes wouldn't clear from the computer, so now they want me to bring it in for a wiring diagnostic. From what I have read here I am thinking that it may be the TCU and now I am wondering what that costs to replace. Do you think that Hayes will be able to narrow the problem down to the TCU, or should I maybe suggest it when I bring it in..... I wish there was an easy way to test it to make sure that this was the problem. Well anyway thanks for any help in advance.

---MIKE---
Mike,
You didn't mention any symptoms. What, exactly, is your car doing? It'd help to know. If you'll notice, Beav used the fact that the FWD fuse, when put in place, did not keep the front wheel drive engaged. I'm sure there are other manefestations of a bad control unit, but, if you list symptoms, it would be easier to decide.

I found new TCU's ranging from 460 to 490.00. There is a resource, in this thread, of a place that rebuilds and guarantees their TCU's and I'm sure they'd be less expensive. They will even take it back if it turns out NOT to be the problem.
Subaru Ambassador