How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 AM
hellos245

SVX Help

I am thinking about buying a 1992 Subaru SVX with 142,000 miles. I am not sure if I should do this. I need car to last me at least 3 years..and I heard the trannys arent the greatest thing. I bought a Dodge Avenger POS! I dont want to buy another piece of junk. What should I do?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
If you want reliable, by a Honda. SVX=Mantenance
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
hellos245

Ok.

But still I have to stay under 3,000. Do you have an SVX? How does it run and what all have you had to do to it? How long have you had it?
Sorry for all the questions--I cant get stuck with another piece of junk.
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
The SVX requires you to keep up with maintenance. Some of them are relatively worry free (just about all of my repairs have been normal maintenance), others can be a hassle. A transmission rebuild may cost you $2000+, so consider that before buying one.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-21-2006, 09:41 AM
hellos245

Thanks...um.

If you want the ad for this car is posted on cars.com...with the zip 17046--within 75 miles. It runs smooth went I drove it--but that doesnt mean that it wont go. How long have you had your car?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
No longer blue member

I've had my car just over 4 years and have put on about 30k miles. In that time I've had to replace my front CV joints, struts, brakes, water pump, and had the transmission rebuilt as well as some minor things. With the cost of the car considered, I've probably spent about $10k.

My transmission worked perfectly from the day I picked up the car till about 3 days before I had to have it rebuilt.

For the price, the car in the ad appears to be decent, but if you are stretching your budget I would look elsewhere in case something were to need repair.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 AM
hellos245

Um..

I dont really have that kind of money. These cars are really hard to find by me--this is the only nice one...So I dont know to chance getting this one or not. After this car is done with just to buy it I will have 3,000 in it. What are my chances or not having to fix the tranny? I really can afford anything big.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
No longer blue member

The chances of tranny failure can vary. Things like frequent fluid changes and an auxillary cooler can help prolong its life. Some fail at 2k, some at 200k. There's a chance this one has already had a rebuild, in which case you should probably be ok for quite some time, but without knowing it's history, it's hard to say.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-21-2006, 10:12 AM
hellos245

Yep..

I know thats my problem. Thanks so much for your help. The guy that owned it before lived in Pittsburgh and thats where I am moving--thats why I want the car. Should I chance it?
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Really.. If you want reliability, a Honda is the way to go. I'm sure you can find one under 3,000. Also, a Toyota Corolla (AE86-AE92) are pretty reliable, easy to work on. And theyre pretty good on speed/handling too. Might want to consider those options, those are under 3,000 too. And they will save you ALOT on gas while SVX will burn a semi-hole in your wallet.

Here's how an USDM AE92 (Toyota Corolla 89-92 Coupe) looks like.. Although this is a little modded exterior wise

Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
..Hondas suck too. My sister got a 97 civic about 6 years ago, and has done nothing but fix it. It broke once a month, like clockwork. First the brakes, then the exhaust, the tranny, axles....
I think more **** broke on that car than stayed working

She switched to a 92 legacy wagon just recently. From what I understand, theese things are damn near indestructable, and Ive seen a few to verify it. Hell, ask Subafreak, his had pretty high mileage and spent the last few years of its life rock crawling and trail blazing. Ive also seen theese things run for well over 200k miles
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten