Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-20-2002, 11:02 AM
RON WALLACE

Auto Gearbox

Hi there,
I live in France but am Scottish ! There are very few SVXs here in France and the main dealers are not able to help -in fact all have never even seen one.
I need some help in repairing the gearbox of my 94 car - it only works in first and second and having taken the gearbox out and cleaned the filter I found some small metal particles and black material.The oil is dark brown and doesn't smell so good.....

I would be grateful for any advice and help you can give me.
Is there a workshop manual for this gearbox - is it the same gearbox in any other Subaru car???
I think I need some help......

Very many thanks

Ron Wallace
Old 09-20-2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Ron,

First, welcome to the network! I'm sorry to hear about your transmission problems, but I'm sure we can be of at least a little assistance.

The gearbox in the SVX is essentially the same as in other Subarus with 4spd automatics - it's called the 4EAT. Differences lie in the actual housing of the transmission, the gear ratios and, as I understand it, the clutches.

Simply put, you can install a Legacy transmission, for example. But you have to also install the Legacy rear differential and the tranny may not last as long.

The metal filings could be a lot of things, but if your car has a lot of miles (or kilometers, I guess) on it, they may be from the ATF pump. The 'black stuff' is likely clutch material. If the ATF doesn't smell good, it's probably burned - either from the transmission overheating or from the clutches slipping.

I can't help you with your specific symptoms (only working in first and second), but the end result is probably the same - you need a new transmission (or have yours rebuilt).

I'm in the same boat. My transmission works great - except for 2nd gear. At 132k miles, it's not worth trying to fix just that one symptom.

General info: The SVX transmission is not, as some will tell you, poorly designed. It's fine. The problem is that Subaru didn't properly cool it in the SVX. When you put a new transmission in the car, I recommend that you also install a better ATF cooler. Some also fill their transmissions with synthetic ATFs, which handle heat better without varnishing internal components.

I hope this helps you a little. Ask away if you have any more questions and good luck!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 09-20-2002 at 12:16 PM.