Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2002, 12:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Tachometer

I just took apart an SVX tach. I wanted to get the face off of it. Please don't ask me why - I'm working on something and I can't tell anyone until it's finished.

To get the face off the tach, I had to pry the needle off its spindle. What I found out then was that the spindle was spun counter-clockwise a little when assembled so there was some tension in the spring. If the spring doesn't have some tension applied to it, the needle doesn't settle back to zero at the nice even rate - it gets almost there and then slows...

...so is the rotation of the spindle important when the tach is reassembled? I figure that you guys who have installed white gauge faces have to go through this step.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-19-2002, 08:15 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The important part would seem to be the alignment of the needle on the shaft and it's calibration/accuracy afterwards. I hate to say this but I think you opened a can o' worms. You might need the assistance of a speedometer shop, if you can find one they should be able to help. If not try looking for an instrument repair shop (not musical ). Or you can keep pulling the needle on and off until it's close, determined by driving at a set speed, like 60mph = 2000rpm in fourth.....

Last edited by Beav; 05-19-2002 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The important part would seem to be the alignment of the needle on the shaft and it's calibration/accuracy afterwards. I hate to say this but I think you opened a can o' worms. You might need the assistance of a speedometer shop, if you can find one they should be able to help. If not try looking for an instrument repair shop (not musical ). Or you can keep pulling the needle on and off until it's close, determined by driving at a set speed, like 60mph = 2000rpm in fourth.....
If I could pull the wiring out far enough, I wonder if I could start the car and then swap the tachs back and forth until they both worked the same.

I might also try to contact Denso.

But I wonder - if the alignment of the needle on its shaft is so important, why isn't it keyed?

(Because it's not supposed to be taken apart, stupid.)

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2002, 09:10 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

If I could pull the wiring out far enough, I wonder if I could start the car and then swap the tachs back and forth until they both worked the same.

I might also try to contact Denso.

But I wonder - if the alignment of the needle on its shaft is so important, why isn't it keyed?

(Because it's not supposed to be taken apart, stupid.)
I love it when we answer our own questions. I've given myself the same answer too many times.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-20-2002, 09:39 AM
EverclearAtMSU

just get one of those really big tacs, ooo and mount it on the hood lol
Old 05-20-2002, 09:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I want to turn my windshield into a big TFT display so I can have all my instruments onscreen plus a PIP for the DVD! Anyone here seen the old scifi movie with Tom Selleck and Kirstie Alley called Runaway?

KuoH
Old 05-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I don't know why you couldn't Nick, it would be a hassle but effective enough. It's not a mission critical part anyway, so close counts just as much here as in a good game of 'shoes or hand grenades.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:25 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I don't know why you couldn't Nick, it would be a hassle but effective enough. It's not a mission critical part anyway, so close counts just as much here as in a good game of 'shoes or hand grenades.
If I actually have to do it this way (my research so far suggests that it will not be), do you think I could keep the car running while I swapped tachs back and forth? Or would I run the risk of blowing something?

At this point, I'm really just asking for curiosity's sake.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2002, 11:33 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
I want to turn my windshield into a big TFT display so I can have all my instruments onscreen plus a PIP for the DVD! Anyone here seen the old scifi movie with Tom Selleck and Kirstie Alley called Runaway?

KuoH
i actually though of doing this to my rear window...just so I could have pre programed annimations, flick off the jerk behind me, a little wave bye bye, stuff like that. It came out to be way too expensive and far too much work. So I am currently exploring a 356 color lcd, about 15 inches...it's compleatly clear untill you run voltage to it...I can make it more transparent by cutting the voltage down a bit, my only problem is I cant get it to run a composite signal if i can figure it out, it will only look like a small rise on the interior of the window