Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2002, 02:00 PM

newbi tranny install question

My front diff is definitely toast. Looking for a good used unit.

My question is what should I do before/after the physical bolt-up of the transaxle unit (alldata just has the mechanical pull and replace details) ?

I'm not overly mechanically challenged (shamefully proud that I once rebuilt a Fiat 124 Spyder that made 3 Fla to Ca round trips before being sold), but this is my first time ever to swap out an automatic.

I've read in the archives to make sure the torque converter is full before installation. What other not so obvious stuff should be done?

Any reason not to just fill up and then drive away to a oil change place and get a flush done? I seem to remember Subaru does not recommend flushing, but I can't find it anywhere. What about the filter? Is there a routine that used to make sure ATF is internally where it's supposed to be?

You get the idea - I'm at a total loss - but can't afford to pay an expert (like there were any around here on SVX's anyway - there's not even a Subie dealer in this whole county).

tia, Lee
Old 04-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
There's so much info regarding flushing, both good and bad. The good side is obvious, get all of the glook out of the tranny and let it do the job it's supposed to do. The bad side is that over time a thin 'shellac' (a colloquial term, at best) can build on shafts and spools where seals ride. When this is flushed out the old, hardened seals supposedly won't work as well. Another purported downside is breaking grunge loose and sending it places it shouldn't be sent. I'm not siding with either camp, this is just what I've read and thought was worth consideration.

I believe Subaru has a TSB on back-flushing the radiator cooler before installing their filter update. I believe that is a good idea, whether or not a filter kit is installed.

I meant to comment the other day when I saw your diff post. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for a transmission. I can't see spending the money you were talking about just for the diff. I'd find the extra coconuts and buy a reman tranny and have that covered and out of the way. A nasty situation would be to fix the diff and have the tranny go belly-up a couple months later...