Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 PM

Speedglass and more

Just slinging you guys a heads up.
Im currently working with Percy's performance for producing a full set of Speedglass aka Lexan for the side glass and rear glass for our cars. They are currently creating a new shop just for speedglass fabrication and seem to be quite willing to produce a limited run for me. These will be molded from SVX glass that I will be sending in, and will have the proper curvature to be a direct replacement. You will be able to order in two different thicknesses depending on your needs. This will shed a great deal of weight from our cars. Price I was told would be about $800 for a full set of 9 pieces, or you can pick and choose what you need for less cash.
The shop will be up and running in July and I can get exact prices and a timeline for production shortly there after.

In other news, I will be making a mold of an SVX dash to create a fiberglass replacement. If the final product ends up as good as I hope, Ill will be offering these up for sale.

There's more! As soon as I can track down a passenger side front control arm thats not bent to hell: Ill will be fabricating tubular front control arms with pillowball links in place of the factory bushings. I can fabricate these as needed with provisions for either bushings or pillowball's. Also with single or double shear tabs for swaybar mounts. Stronger than factory arms and lighter! Pricing as soon as I make a jig and get a set on the track for a proper beating for durability.

Lastly, I went down and had a few words with the machine shop thats working on the STI front knuckle conversion parts for me, they will FINALLY have a price and production time for me by Monday. Cripes. CRAZY amounts of foot dragging there. Understandable. Huge orders take priority over my little order.. But still *grumble grumble*
As of now, the run is for 5 sets of conversion kits. More will be produced if the interest is high enough.
As soon as I get the price, ill post them up.

Thats all for now
Cheers!
SMC
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 PM

Re: Speedglass and more

Thanks for the relocation of the thread. I was not really certain where to place it in the forums as it had a bit of this and a bit of that in it
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Just slinging you guys a heads up.
Im currently working with Percy's performance for producing a full set of Speedglass aka Lexan for the side glass and rear glass for our cars. They are currently creating a new shop just for speedglass fabrication and seem to be quite willing to produce a limited run for me. These will be molded from SVX glass that I will be sending in, and will have the proper curvature to be a direct replacement. You will be able to order in two different thicknesses depending on your needs. This will shed a great deal of weight from our cars. Price I was told would be about $800 for a full set of 9 pieces, or you can pick and choose what you need for less cash.
The shop will be up and running in July and I can get exact prices and a timeline for production shortly there after.

In other news, I will be making a mold of an SVX dash to create a fiberglass replacement. If the final product ends up as good as I hope, Ill will be offering these up for sale.

There's more! As soon as I can track down a passenger side front control arm thats not bent to hell: Ill will be fabricating tubular front control arms with pillowball links in place of the factory bushings. I can fabricate these as needed with provisions for either bushings or pillowball's. Also with single or double shear tabs for swaybar mounts. Stronger than factory arms and lighter! Pricing as soon as I make a jig and get a set on the track for a proper beating for durability.

Lastly, I went down and had a few words with the machine shop thats working on the STI front knuckle conversion parts for me, they will FINALLY have a price and production time for me by Monday. Cripes. CRAZY amounts of foot dragging there. Understandable. Huge orders take priority over my little order.. But still *grumble grumble*
As of now, the run is for 5 sets of conversion kits. More will be produced if the interest is high enough.
As soon as I get the price, ill post them up.

Thats all for now
Cheers!
SMC
Some questions.

The lexan will be a group-buy type of thing or they will make some sets and then stock them until they run out or what?

I can let you borrow a good control arm. Would you need a pair or just one?
Also! bonus points if you can make one that uses a ball joint from another vehicle. New SVX ball joints are getting scarce it seems. Will you make them from aluminum or steel or what?

What does the STi knuckle conversion parts entail exactly?

Any progress on the front sway bar thing?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM

The Lexan will be a per order basis. Im getting a full set, but allowing them to keep the glass to fill future orders.

I would love to borrow a passenger control arm! Ill shoot you a pm and we will work something out for it I just need the one to set up a jig. I have two good drivers side already.

As for making another balljoint work with our arms.. Ill have to fabricate an adapter and do some research to find what would work. But Its not out of the realm of possibility.
Ill be making them out of DOM steel tube. They will be strong enough for gravel rally. Milling them out of billet alum, while awesome, would take them out of the price range of us mortals.

The STI conversion is for 06 and 07 STI knuckles. I will allow you to bolt up a set of STI knuckles and brembo brakes to our stock control arms. It will consist of 2: balljoint adapters, 2: swaybar extensions and double shear mounting tabs, 2: wheel spacers, 2: hubcentric rings, instructions and a template on where to drill the uprights to fit the stock SVX struts.
For a few bucks more, ill toss in templates for STI strut installs.
Bigger brakes, FAR stronger bearings.
All you need to provide are the knuckles with brakes and STI axle shafts.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Well, the wrecking yard finally pulled the svx glass. Here are some weights, It may surprise you.

Rear Glass: 21 lbs.
Rear Side Upper Glass: 6 lbs. each
Rear Side Lower Glass: 3 lbs. each
Front Side Upper Glass: 6 lbs. each
Front Side lower Glass: 6 lbs. each.

I dont have a loose front windscreen to weigh, but most likely it will be in the 30 lb. range.

So, less the front windscreen we are only looking at 63lbs worth of glass.

At most, with lexan you would only be shaving off perhaps 30 lbs.
Not worth the 800 it would cost. Not to mention the cost of new weather stripping ( nearly $500 from Subaru ) and install. In all honesty, It would be cheaper to go on a diet and loose the weight off your tummy.

Last edited by smc; 06-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Loosing weight seems to be one of the most overlooked/ignored "shaving weight" ideas even though it's equally important.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram