Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
Cobb tuning is usally pretty damn expensive. I bet if you could find out what you want the camspecs to be you have all 4 done for under $600, maybe substanely less.

I would try, delta cams almost every NA 2.5, 2.2, 1.8 subie ej uses there cams when they switch up. I bet they could even come up with some good specs for the SVX. I also heard that they regrind 2 cams for a $130 U.S. at least for the 4cylinders. I havent contacted them about the SVX maybe some one else would want to. I just dont have the money, or time to deal with it now.
http://www.deltacam.com/index.php
And to stay on topic, for the cheapest set up, a ej22t, with some new heads, and a BFT. You could probley spend like 1K on a good block and some 2.5 liter heads. Then you would have a engine that could easily push 20 PSI relibley. Throw some pistons in it, and you could even go high 25PSI. For ultimate potential i would say the EG33 becasue nothing replaces displacment in the end.
thank you for the link. I am not planning to insert a turbo in my EG33, just rather tune the cams while it is kept N/A.

I will contact delta cams myself and post the reply in this thread

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Deltacams' reply

Danny,
We have found that increasing the lift and duration on the intake cams and leaving the exhaust cams in their stock configuration gives us the best hp and toque improvements.
We have been getting about 10 to 15% gains by grinding them this way.
The cost is $125 each, and we have to grind your cores.
Thank you,
Scott

Yeah right......................

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Danny,
We have found that increasing the lift and duration on the intake cams and leaving the exhaust cams in their stock configuration gives us the best hp and toque improvements.
We have been getting about 10 to 15% gains by grinding them this way.
The cost is $125 each, and we have to grind your cores.
Thank you,
Scott

Yeah right......................
hmmmm... To increase the lift, wouldn't you need more material on the cam lobes and not less? They plan on grinding "more" material on the cam?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
hmmmm... To increase the lift, wouldn't you need more material on the cam lobes and not less? They plan on grinding "more" material on the cam?

I think they aculey weld on the cam, and then gring it off.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:50 PM
building more AK47's

Ive seen a technique where they added material to cranks and cams, its called immersion welding. They pour powdered flux over the part which is in turn welded with no spark. They then grinded the "new part" to the specs they needed ie stroker crank or modified cams. It was rumored to be cheap, strong, and durable. Ill try to find the article in a old magazine.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
weld and grind is what they call it. adds material to the cam and then they are ground to the specs specified by the customer

Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
weld and grind is what they call it. adds material to the cam and then they are ground to the specs specified by the customer

Tom
Tom does it really work in your opinion??? i mean the material will not wear out quickly? i am wondering... Do you really trust this way of modifying the cams???

Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 AM
no limitation as limitation

in a perfect world the ej22t would be optimal. however, life isnt fair. if your going to modify an engine of the subaru variety you would be foolish to undertake anything other than a ej20t. they have the largest RnD pool as they have been in the aftermarket limelight the longest. they are aforidable and reliable. by comparison the 2.5 would be unwise. at first one would think that the added displacement would be better, but the .5l comes at a price; durability.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
in a perfect world the ej22t would be optimal. however, life isnt fair. if your going to modify an engine of the subaru variety you would be foolish to undertake anything other than a ej20t. they have the largest RnD pool as they have been in the aftermarket limelight the longest. they are aforidable and reliable. by comparison the 2.5 would be unwise. at first one would think that the added displacement would be better, but the .5l comes at a price; durability.
I dont really agree, almost every ej series engine is identical (they really only change stroke and bore), almost any thing that could be aplied to one could be aplied to another. You can swap heads, headers, cams, ect. The only advantage comes from a engine that was overbuilt more form subaru, or one that has the best combination of parts for the least amount. Which i belive is the ej22t for a block, and some decent 2.5 liter heads.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 10-13-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
if your going to modify an engine of the subaru variety you would be foolish to undertake anything other than a ej20t. they have the largest RnD pool as they have been in the aftermarket limelight the longest. they are aforidable and reliable. by comparison the 2.5 would be unwise. at first one would think that the added displacement would be better, but the .5l comes at a price; durability.
even though there is more variety in the aftermarket for the 2.0L due to its age, finding aftermarket parts for the 2.5L is certainly not going to be a scavenger hunt - there is a HUGE aftermarket for it.

i wouldn't say the 2.5L STi engine isn't durable, either.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:49 AM

Yeah there seems to be a a stock blcok 2.5 liter the puts out 500+crank hp posted on nasioc every week. Definitley not a week engine.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Tom does it really work in your opinion??? i mean the material will not wear out quickly? i am wondering... Do you really trust this way of modifying the cams???
In theory it should work. I used to be a Chevy small block kind of guy before I got into the import scene when I got my SVX. Cams, cranks, pistons, and rods were available to anyone from anywhere, so modifying stock parts would be useless when you could buy custom parts a lot easier and cheaper. It may be worth while for someone to have the cams welded and ground for more lift more duration and maybe a little rotation, depending on the application. The only problem is, no one has tried it. If you want to go blow $300+ dollars on a product that could hinder performance rather than gain , go ahead. Until it is tried, we are all just blowing smoke.

Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Until it is tried, we are all just blowing smoke.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
I dont really agree, almost every ej series engine is identical (they really only change stroke and bore), almost any thing that could be aplied to one could be aplied to another. You can swap heads, headers, cams, ect. The only advantage comes from a engine that was overbuilt more form subaru, or one that has the best combination of parts for the least amount. Which i belive is the ej22t for a block, and some decent 2.5 liter heads.
Is there a timing belt that fits this block and head combination?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Is there a timing belt that fits this block and head combination?

Yes........
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"