How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-09-2001, 08:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
O.T. but I just have to ask

I see so many of those darn Gran Prix GT's out there these days that I had to go look what I'd be up against if one of them decides to pull something.

The GT is a 3.7L (wow!) six. I only produces 200HP though. The car weighs about 300 lbs more than ours so I'm ok in my basic theory.

Then there is a GTP. It's super charged...BUT it only get's 40hp from the super charger. I don't get it. Why bother with a supercharger if your only gonna get 40HP?

Our 3.3L un-charged SVX will STILL beat it based on this simplton 'analysis'.

Why do they bother. Besides the car is UGLY.

Sorry, just needed to rant.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:13 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Lightbulb

Well I've driven a few of them. Both the regular and the GTP versions of the car (no I've never owned one...or ever will either). However you notice a SIGNIFICANT increase in power/torque in the GTP. It may only make 40hp more, however that is a big increase in some cars.

For example, I also own a 97 Sunfire SE (2.2L uggg only 115hp). My friend liked my car so much he decided to buy a 98 GT (2.4 only 150hp). Both car's aren't exactly the fastest things on the road, however that extra 35hp make a HUGE difference in his car. The GT's actually weigh (with extra's) approx 250lbs more than the SE's (base...which mine pretty much is)

Anyways, my best run in that car was a 16.9s runnign consistant 17.1s times. My friend however, making 35hp more in a 250lbs heavier car, runs a consistant 16.1s with a best of 15.85s.

May seem strange, however difference torque/hp peaks makes a big difference on some cars. This is probably the case with the GTP.

Ryan
Old 07-09-2001, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
I guess it's feel that matters

It seems that a supercharger would be a complicated thing just to get 40HP but I did notice a significant increase in torque so I guess that's it. More kick in the pants. Makes sense.

I saw a GTP the other day that was all trimed out with chrome fender highlights and stuff. It looked pretty cool, I guess.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:15 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I got rid of a 2000GTP to buy my SVX, so my opinion I think counts here.

The GTP is fast... TOO damned fast sometimes. Mine had a few minor modifications... basically less than $300 worth of mods and a couple of Saturday afternoons and I was pulling pretty consistent 14.3's on the 1/4 in St. Louis... 70-78 degree temps, 30% humidity on all the runs I did.

It was a good highway cruiser, though not stellar... but yes, it would beat the holy living hell out of my SVX in all but icy weather (ice and wet traction left a lot to be desired as the rear is a little too light in that car causing an easy fishtail in bad weather).

I would definitely own one again... and in my not so sane moments have found myself bemoaning the loss of my GTP in favor of the less practical (but nicer to drive) SVX.

A GT... yeah you could beat it, but don't mess with a GTP... it's the TORQUE that matters, and that car's got 280lb/ft of it to go around. Plus remember that the GTP loses less through it's FWD drive-train than we do through our AWD.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:59 AM
SVXtypeR

Operative term here being...

...SUPER charger.

unlike hair-dryers (centrifugal induction, wether exhaust or belt-driven) which simply amplify existing engine charactaristics (smaller engines (4L and under) are typically tuned to "spike" hp and torque peaks at high rpm, big motors are typically tuned for lower MAX values per liter/cube, and have and extremely BROAD range of power values), true blowers (roots/lysholm) make a motor put out a power band that's a LOT broader.

Like you theorized, what you're feeling (and being beaten by ) is not 40+ MAX hp, but probably around 40+ hp across the ENTIRE RPM BAND (in most cases). Torque down low is what the "big block" guys love so much and what increases the fun factor of a car exponentially.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:20 AM
picklesbitch

Re: Operative term here being...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
...SUPER charger.

Okay, I am about to display some igorance here I think. At work a guy saw me reading a maq for old Mopars. He figured I knew a lot about cars I guess, because he asked me where he could get supercharger oil for his van. Seems it came from the factory with a supercharger. I have never heard of supercharger oil. I would have thought that it used engine oil, like a turbocharger does? Thanks to whoever clears this up for me.
Mike
Old 07-13-2001, 09:54 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: O.T. but I just have to ask

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse

Then there is a GTP. It's super charged...BUT it only get's 40hp from the super charger. I don't get it. Why bother with a supercharger if your only gonna get 40HP?

Why do they bother. Besides the car is UGLY.

Sorry, just needed to rant.
40 HP is definitely a HUGE difference . . . I was somewhat skeptical that the new 2.5 liter 165 HP engine in the new Impreza would "feel" that much better than the 130 HP 2.2 in my old Legacy - believe me, there IS a difference.

Other than that, I agree with your overall opinion of the Pontiac

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-13-2001, 10:05 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Operative term here being...

Quote:
Originally posted by pickles*****

Okay, I am about to display some igorance here I think. At work a guy saw me reading a maq for old Mopars. He figured I knew a lot about cars I guess, because he asked me where he could get supercharger oil for his van. Seems it came from the factory with a supercharger. I have never heard of supercharger oil. I would have thought that it used engine oil, like a turbocharger does? Thanks to whoever clears this up for me.
Mike
It's on the shelf right next to the blinker fluid and a couple of feet away from the muffler bearings.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:37 PM
picklesbitch

Re: Re: Re: Operative term here being...

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

It's on the shelf right next to the blinker fluid and a couple of feet away from the muffler bearings.

OK, that's what I thought. The "perfesser" (what we call the guy who asked me and others including his dealer) is not known for is high level of knowledge. Just thought maybe I was the one who was missing something. Thanks, Mike.
Mike
Old 07-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Operative term here being...

Quote:
Originally posted by pickles*****

OK, that's what I thought. The "perfesser" (what we call the guy who asked me and others including his dealer) is not known for is high level of knowledge. Just thought maybe I was the one who was missing something. Thanks, Mike.
Mike
Yup, we had a guy like that too. Used to call him "sh!t Ray", everytime he'd do something somebody would start the conversation with "Sh!t Ray, why'd ya...."

You might ask the perfesser if he thinks the cybrid power steering on the XT6 takes a special fluid, if he answers yes, then give him a gold star for the day!
Old 07-13-2001, 06:46 PM
SVXtypeR

Don't laugh...

Most lysholm superchargers actually run on a different grade of oil than turbos (don't know about roots, but I'm sure the new twisted lobe roots might). They're not plumbed into the engine oil system but rather they have their own non-circulating oil supply (basically gear oil).

So in essence, although asking out of ignorance, the guy had the right idea (if his blower indeed has it's own oil supply).
Old 07-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Don't laugh...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
So in essence, although asking out of ignorance, the guy had the right idea (if his blower indeed has it's own oil supply).
Okay, I'll bite and get myself into another mess here. Do you really think that manufacturers would be toopid enough to put a supercharger on a car that required a special oil? It's hard enough to convince (average) people that they need to change the engine oil! If the guy was asking about some super dooper whiz bang aftermarket supercharger, then yes, I'd look into finding the super dooper whiz bang oil that it would be using. DOH!!! Here we go again...
Old 07-16-2001, 04:35 PM
Lowered SVX

i actually went to the.....

pontiac grand prix club. there were some pretty highly modded GTP's. technically they only have 10 more hp than us but according to their numbers it is a different kind of hp. they were running solid 14's in the quarter stock. imagine the svx with a supercharger. putting out about 270hp. that would be one hell of a powerhouse.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"