How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-04-2001, 09:29 PM
ehyde111

Question transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

I just purchased a 1992 SVX LS-L with 123,000 miles. It is a one-owner vehicle who was maticulu about maintenance. Everything done at the dealer at regular intervals. The quesiton I have is I am not sure if the external tranny filter was installed. The only reference I can see if from June 1993 at 6k miles

"138-321 A/T OIL COOLER HOSE UPDATE
16 WS 0.70
1 X4551PA000 SVX HOSE KIT
FC: MEF54
PART# X4551PA000"

I can't imagine he wouldn't have had the update done. Could someone verify if this is it. I've looked for it in the engine bay under the battery but really don't know what to look for. Where exactly should it be.

I'd like to put a tranny cooler in. If there was in fact no filter update, is there anything I can do to that little screen filter that clogs?

thanks
Chris
Old 07-04-2001, 10:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
I just purchased a 1992 SVX LS-L with 123,000 miles. It is a one-owner vehicle who was maticulu about maintenance. Everything done at the dealer at regular intervals. The quesiton I have is I am not sure if the external tranny filter was installed. The only reference I can see if from June 1993 at 6k miles

"138-321 A/T OIL COOLER HOSE UPDATE
16 WS 0.70
1 X4551PA000 SVX HOSE KIT
FC: MEF54
PART# X4551PA000"

I can't imagine he wouldn't have had the update done. Could someone verify if this is it. I've looked for it in the engine bay under the battery but really don't know what to look for. Where exactly should it be.

I'd like to put a tranny cooler in. If there was in fact no filter update, is there anything I can do to that little screen filter that clogs?

thanks
Chris
The filter would be a black cylindrical object at the bottom of the radiator on the battery side. It looks almost like your fuel filter. Nothing can really be done about the screen, aside from changing your radiator. I'd install the cooler as soon as possible, just in case. If you bypass the stock cooler, or place the cooler in parallel, you won't have the screen to worry about.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-05-2001, 03:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
For simplicity's sake, I've added a pic of the location of the ATF filter in my locker. It's circled in red. Hope it helps.

(Photo courtesy KuoH3)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...dubjay/568.jpg
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-06-2001, 03:13 AM
ehyde111

transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Thanks for the pic. That confirms my suspiscion that the external filter is not there. I can't believe it! The previous owner was so maticulous about maintenance. ANyway, I have the kit ordered. By the way, does it come with instructions?

Thanks again for the info
Chris
Old 07-06-2001, 08:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:
Thanks for the pic. That confirms my suspiscion that the external filter is not there. I can't believe it! The previous owner was so maticulous about maintenance. ANyway, I have the kit ordered. By the way, does it come with instructions?

Thanks again for the info
Chris
Yes, Chris. Instructions are included as well as all hoses, clamps and necessary mounting hardware. I can't believe it hadn't been installed either. Hmmmmm. Well, good luck on your install and, enjoy your car. I know I have.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-17-2001, 08:50 PM
ehyde111

Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, Chris. Instructions are included as well as all hoses, clamps and necessary mounting hardware. I can't believe it hadn't been installed either. Hmmmmm. Well, good luck on your install and, enjoy your car. I know I have.
My external filter kit came today, but without instructions. In two days, the SVX is going into the shop to have a B&M cooler, ATF flush and refill with Redline synthetic, and install of this external filter. As I said there were no instructions. Does anyone have the procedure already written up? If not, shoud the mechanic at the transmission shop know how to put it in without instructions.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2001, 08:54 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

My external filter kit came today, but without instructions. In two days, the SVX is going into the shop to have a B&M cooler, ATF flush and refill with Redline synthetic, and install of this external filter. As I said there were no instructions. Does anyone have the procedure already written up? If not, shoud the mechanic at the transmission shop know how to put it in without instructions.

Thanks
I just found the link to the TSBs that pretty much have is spelled out.

THanks,
Chris
Old 07-17-2001, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

Thanks
Gee whillikers, what's the world coming to? Glad you found the TSB though. Happy trails.
Subaru Ambassador