How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Green1995SVX

Transmission Temp and Engine Under Guard

I preformed a test today to prove my theory that the plastic wind guard that goes under the engine can really affect transmission temp.

This is what I did:

With the transmission temp under 100 degrees, and the engine underguard installed, i went for a 25 mile drive with varying road types... highway, city, and rural roads.

I then returned home, removed the guard, and allowed the transmission temp to return to below 100 degrees.

I then went for the same 25 mile drive.

The result:

The transmission temp was consistently between 30 and 50 degrees cooler with the engine underguard removed.

Mike
Old 12-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Interesting results Mike

The underpan was put in place for engine cooling. With the minimal front end openings of the SVX, the pan is in place to ensure the fans pull outside air through the radiator to aid engine cooling at low speeds. It also functions to reduce front end lift at high speeds by forcing air which does not go through the radiator under the engine instead of under the hood.

Can you rerun the tests with your temp guage hooked to the cooling system?

Todd
Old 12-30-2002, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Where is your temp guage for the ATF?

Could it be that with the underguard off the ATF temp sender unit is getting hot air from the radiator fans being blown on it?

I just put mine in and i've been getting some false high readings that I think can be attributed to this.

-mike
Old 12-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Green1995SVX

The sensor is in the bottom of the pan, directly over the subframe brace. I dont see how outside temp can affect the sensor when it is taking the reading inside the transmission pan in the hot oil? Maybe i dont have the best understanding of how the sending unit works? Please explain.

Mike
Old 12-31-2002, 06:23 AM

Thats why I asked WHERE it was mounted. Mine is in-line en route to the cooler, so it's picking up ambient temps.

-mike
Old 12-31-2002, 10:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Mike,

I've noticed the same exact thing.. When we were at the 10th anniversary meet, I didn't have my underguard on, and the gauge was reading very low.. I installed it a few weeks ago, and the temps are now higher.. (could also be because I'm in Colorado....)

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 12-31-2002, 01:50 PM

my race team mechanic is going to move the sensor to an alternate location come spring time and we'll see how it works. We are also going to put in some metal lines rather than the rubber ones.

-mike
Old 12-31-2002, 02:56 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Mike,

I would like to know if you have any of those pan temperature to share with us? I would be very interesting in seeing readings about every 5 minutes as the tranny is heating up. I have taken similar readings but on the line going to the cooler and not in the pan. Then all we need is both the pan and the line out to complete this picture.

I agree that the pan will be cooler with the bottom cover off. Less heat from the engine will be directed to the pan. The pan is open to air flow and heat will be removed form the pan. I also think that pan temperatures stay low. Do you have any summer time numbers?

Thanks

John