How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2002, 06:45 AM
henryb

Question Installing OEM Security System

I just purchased an OEM Security System. Complete with the Control Module, one Remote Transmitter, Security button and light opitic plus user manuals.

However, it did not come with any instructions on how to install the module.

I was able to find out that the module is mounted behind the glove box somewhere... but a visual inspection from under the footwell does not shed any light on where it goes? Maybe I need to remove the glove box? Any procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Also I figured out where the Security Button goes... it is mounted in the spare button position just to the left of the steering wheel. I inserted the light optic and the button into the spring loaded button position... Does that button have an in and and out position? Mine just pushes in and returns to its original position (some buttons work like that - does this one?).

In trying to figure out where the button goes I removed the spare button cover on the right of the steering wheel... however, I can't seem to get that spare cover to click back on??? Any ideas on how to get it to click into place?

Also I have read somewhere that Fuse #23 needs to be installed. I checked the fuse panel under the drivers footwell and it goes up to fuse #21. Where is fuse #23 located?

I'm guessing that once I get all of this installed then I will need to reprogram the remote. I have read that reprogramming requires 2 remotes. There must be a procedure for reprogramming with only one remote?

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 12-11-2002, 07:15 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Installing OEM Security System

I just purchased an OEM Security System. Complete with the Control Module, one Remote Transmitter, Security button and light opitic plus user manuals.

However, it did not come with any instructions on how to install the module.

I was able to find out that the module is mounted behind the glove box somewhere... but a visual inspection from under the footwell does not shed any light on where it goes? Maybe I need to remove the glove box? Any procedures would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a 92, you will need to remove the glove box to install the module. There are a series of screws in the back of the glove box (visable with glove box door open) Simply remove these and the glove box will come right out.

Also I figured out where the Security Button goes... it is mounted in the spare button position just to the left of the steering wheel. I inserted the light optic and the button into the spring loaded button position... Does that button have an in and and out position? Mine just pushes in and returns to its original position (some buttons work like that - does this one?).

That is the way it should work. It works just like the 'cruise' button.

I'm guessing that once I get all of this installed then I will need to reprogram the remote. I have read that reprogramming requires 2 remotes. There must be a procedure for reprogramming with only one remote?

I am quoting this from a post randy made a while back on how to program the remotes. "You could try putting it into "programming" mode, to see if it works. With the security button in the OFF position (not blinking) put your key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition to the on position (dash lights light up, but don't start the car), then, turn the ignition switch off and immediately and rapidly begin to push the security switch repeatedly until the horn sounds a couple of beeps, the parking lights flash and you get a clicking sound from either the glove box (92-92) rear package shelf (94-97). If you get these sounds, it means your system is operable. You can now click your remotes to program them. Click twice on one remote and three times on the other (system must receive 5 signals, if programming two remotes. You can stop at two clicks if you only have one). Each press of the remote will be answered with a beep of the horn. If there is no response from the car (beep at each press of the remote), then, your remote battery is dead, or the remote is inop. Once programming, or failure to program has been achieved, then, turn the ignition to the on position (engine off) once again, and turn it off. This will take you out of programming mode (lights stop flashing and the clicking will stop)."
Old 12-11-2002, 12:20 PM
henryb

Thanks for the info... sounds like a fairly simple install -- once you know where it goes!

Does anyone know about the other spare button on the right hand side of the steering wheel? The blank button does not seem to want to clip into the spring loaded slot? Any ideas!

Also, I'm guessing that fuse #23 is not installed... just need to identify where it is located... probably in some relay panel? Does anyone know what panel that fuse is mounted in?

Thanks again,
Old 12-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by henryb
Thanks for the info... sounds like a fairly simple install -- once you know where it goes!

Does anyone know about the other spare button on the right hand side of the steering wheel? The blank button does not seem to want to clip into the spring loaded slot? Any ideas!

Also, I'm guessing that fuse #23 is not installed... just need to identify where it is located... probably in some relay panel? Does anyone know what panel that fuse is mounted in?

Thanks again,
Henry,
I have a diagram of the location of the components on my home computer, I'll try to post them tonight, though, I think I may have posted them at an earlier date. Try doing a search on "security system." May even be in my locker.

Fuse 23 is in the fuse box under the hood. According to my diagram, it's for the right hand cooling fan.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-11-2002, 01:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Henry,
Here's the thread with the diagrams of the security system positions in the '92. Check it out.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=Alarm+System
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-11-2002, 05:46 PM
henryb

Thanks for the great info Randy...

This is simply a fantastic resource for our cars.

I will post an update once I get a chance to work on it tomorrow night.

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:47 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the great info Randy...

This is simply a fantastic resource for our cars.

I will post an update once I get a chance to work on it tomorrow night.

Thanks again to everyone!
Our pleasure, Brent. That's what we're here for . . . besides our incessant rambling and occasional useless chatter.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-12-2002, 06:45 AM
henryb

The only thing that I don't have an answer for is... re-inserting that spare button back into it's spot on the right-hand side of the steering wheel. There must be a trick to doing it?

Thanks again,
Old 12-12-2002, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
The only thing that I don't have an answer for is... re-inserting that spare button back into it's spot on the right-hand side of the steering wheel. There must be a trick to doing it?

Thanks again,
Brent,
I haven't had any experience with that particular problem. I've only snapped the switchbanks out as a unit. Mike? Haven't you had experience with this? Or, perhaps John (svxcess)?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-13-2002, 09:24 AM
henryb

Well last night I was determined to get this OEM Security module installed. So I started taking all the screws from the Glove box out... There was at least 16 screws holding this thing in there! Solid eh!

Once I got it out, I saw the location where it looked like it should be mounted but there was something else there - approx the same size! I removed it thinking that it might have been an aftermarket unit? As there is a mystery LED mounted on top of the steering column??? It turns out that the module I removed was the Cruise Control module. Beside it was another smaller unit with a single smaller wiring harness connected to it -- to small to connect to the Security module (which requires 2 connectors). Don't know what it was for -- didn't remove it!

I checked around in there quite thoroughly -- as much as I could lieing on my back in the passenger footwell !!! And I could not see any other wiring harnesses??? So basically there was no place to mount the module and no wiring harness to connect it!

So I put all of the brackets and glove box screws back in place. I am wondering if the previous owner has pulled the wiring harness to install an aftermarket security module somewhere else -- easier to get to. Or I have a very late '92 model and the wiring harness is actually under the rear deck lid? Or the Canadian models were not pre-wired for the security system.

Note on Canadian models... all models came with exactly the same options - basically they are all fully loaded, AWD, leather, etc. However, none of them came with a factory security system... so maybe they are not wired for it??? However, I doubt that Subaru would do that as that would be far more costly on the assembly line then its worth!

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:41 AM
henryb

I've decided to take this one into the dealer to have them determine what is going on with the wiring harness and if there is an aftermarket unit installed somewhere.

Will keep you posted on their report.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Green1995SVX

You are in the right place. the security module mounts right by the cruise module. Very weird. If your car has the rear wire harness, there will be a 'trap door' in the top of the trunk.

Mike
Old 12-19-2002, 11:34 AM
henryb

Well, I just got the car back from the dealer yesterday and it appears that Canadian models were not wired for OEM Security systems!!!

However, they were able to activate the aftermarket unit that was installed and upgrade it to have an Auto-starter and programmed them all into one remote! Great feature for those minus 20 mornings!

So that all being said, I will no longer need my OEM Security System. If anyone would like to purchase it from me... I would gladly sell it for exactly what I paid for it. Email me if you are interested.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out on this one.