Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 07-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Exclamation Reading 17 HOTEL INFORMATION

ORIGINAL POST

I was afraid this would happen one day.

Over the past couple of years, the declining attendance at Reading and the number of rooms that were actually picked up from the block that the hotel reserved for us, has cost them in lost revenue. That, along with entirely new management, has probably caused them to rethink their relationship with us.

The last two times they gave us a small allocation of 10 rooms a night, I begged them increase to 20, promising them that we would fill it. We failed to do it then, and last year as well. Last year, For Friday, we only booked 14 rooms... or Saturday, only 4

Based on our past performance, their latest contract had given is the following.

Friday night:
2 Queen suite: 1 (this was not a typo) 1 room
King suite: 1 (again, not a typo) 1 room

Saturday night:
2 Queen suite: 5 rooms
King suite: 5 rooms.

Looks like they are wanting to give us only 12 rooms total for the weekend

After keeping the rooms at the same rate for over 2 years, the rate is also up $3.00/night, from $89.00 to $92.00 plus 11% tax, or $102.12/ night.

I will try to convince the hotel that this is not adequate for our needs. We don't patronize their restaurant as well as we could. Same with their bar. These areas would usually make up for what they would lose in room revenue. Things were very different when we were filling 30-35 rooms a night, not less than 10.

This may revert back to the way it was at the very first Reading. Show up and meet, decide to stay the night if you want and hope they have rooms available (which was never an issue the first weekend in April)

Will post my progress or lack of.

If I cannot prevail, I am not sure I would be willing to sign the current contract. Any advice or comments are appreciated;
this is new territory.

I believe this is a management decision; the old management, with Jerry Bellistri, would not have allowed this to happen. All the great people who I have cultivated a relationship with have moved on.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-07-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Reading 17 hotel information

Don't take it personally John, the hotel has to do what is best for them. Empty rooms are not good for a hotel. The people who need to stay over can pay a few dollars more.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exclamation Re: Reading 17 hotel information

UPDATE: JULY 13

I called the Holiday Inn this morning and spent over half an hour talking to Jackie King, the new Director of Group Sales and Catering. Also had a brief conversation with the new General Manager, Anthony Yue.

I talked about the latest contract that I received. I explained our long-standing history with the hotel, and a bit about the SVXWN and the Reading Meet in general. I also told her about various attendance figures, special meets, and changes in personnel at the Holiday Inn over the years.

She was very patient, understanding and very interested in what I had to say. She also had the complete list of rooms booked for every year going back to 2004.

We discussed reasons for high attendance during certain years and explained the hotel position position for the reduced room block of rooms, based on the past couple of years.

The last two years have had the lowest booking rate in Reading history. Initial reservation confirmations and subsequent cancellations, etc.

At the end of the conversation, I had them agree to once again give us a decent number of rooms and PROMISED them that if given another chance, we would keep our commitment. This may very well be the last chance that we get.

After consulting with the General Manager, she was hesitant, but willing to increase our room allocation as follows:

Friday night:
Executive 2 Queen suite: 12 rooms
Executive King suite: 3 rooms

Saturday night:
Executive 2 Queen suite: 12 rooms
Executive King suite: 3 rooms.

If you don't think this is possible to achieve, I won't even bother to sign the contract. I have until July 28, 2015 (10 days) to make a decision. I need to know if we can turn this around and show the Holiday Inn of our sincerity this time. Failure to live up to another agreement is an embarrassment and takes away our credibility with them.

We also agreed that if the block is not completely filled by February 1, 2016, The entire contract will be cancelled, as well as all reservations made before then.

If that happens, individual bookings at the non-group rate can be made, based on availability. $125.00/night, plus tax ($138.75)

This is a serious situation; I guarantee we won't get another chance.

I desperately need some early enthusiasm and input here. Otherwise as I see it, the handwriting on the wall is getting hard to ignore...

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HERE LIES READING..jpg (132.7 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg Block2.jpg (85.3 KB, 637 views)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 07-18-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I need to see some sort of affirmation of enthusiasm on this issue . I seems that there is indifference and general apathy, or a doubt that we can get even 15 rooms reserved by February 1, 2016. I am not sure what the message is here.

If that is the case, it is better that the 2016 rooms contract is not signed. Better to save embarrassment now, than cancel it 3 months ahead of the meet for non-compliance. Even the normally enthusiastic members have been mysteriously silent.

After Tuesday the 28, if the contract is not signed, members can just reserve a room at the non-group rate as an individual. Those who register at the last minute may not have a room.

Re-read the above posts if you need more information; it's all there.

I desperately need some early enthusiasm and input here.

Last edited by svxcess; 07-24-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Reading 17 hotel information

John, I'll avoid the "whys" as to the waning of enthusiasm. Just count me in for a 2 night rental. I'll wait until January to make the reservation, as the car, or I could blow up in the mean time.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I need to see some sort of affirmation of enthusiasm on this issue . I seems that there is indifference and general apathy, or a doubt that we can get even 15 rooms reserved by February 1, 2016. I am not sure what the message is here.

If that is the case, it is better that the 2016 rooms contract is not signed. Better to save embarrassment now, than cancel it 3 months ahead of the meet for non-compliance. Even the normally enthusiastic members have been mysteriously silent.

After Tuesday the 28, if the contract is not signed, members can just reserve a room at the non-group rate as an individual. Those who register at the last minute may not have a room.

Re-read the above posts if you need more information; it's all there.

I desperately need some early enthusiasm and input here.

You have 2 days to make a difference. The silence on this thread is unprecedented. Not a lot of deep thought required here.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

Maybe a few of us can stay in a BAGO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dFZDt1mPY
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

John,
At the present time, I have every intention of attending Reading 17 with a two night stay. But nine months in advance, I can't guarantee those plans will not change. I had a conflict arise for this year's meet and couldn't attend.

I came to Reading 15 as my first meet. It was an enjoyable time getting to meet you and the other attendees. I actually stayed 3 nights (Thu-Sat) and I'm sure I did not get the member rate as I didn't know to ask for it and hadn't made reservations until the week before when my travel plans were finalized.

You asked for comments, so here are a couple. They're not meant to condemn or condone. They're simply observations from my point of view from attending one Reading meet.

1. I did feel a bit out of place. Being my first meet, I didn't know what to expect. Many of the conversations were technical and I consider myself more of an SVX "owner" rather than an SVX 'enthusiast". I'm no mechanic, my 92 is 99% stock (trans cooler and after-market SVX sunroof air deflector are the only alterations), and so the discussions of 5-speed conversions, swapping out wheels, and the like weren't all that meaningful to me.

2. The Saturday drive seemed to be geared towards "pushing" the SVX - going out on curvy roads and exercising it. I didn't feel very comfortable doing that. Not knowing how to fix something if I pushed the car too hard, I really didn't want overdo it. Understand that my SVX has been a garage queen ever since I bought it new off the lot. The 100k or so miles it has on it have been highway miles and one reason (I think) that it has fared so well is that I have rarely pushed the car towards its limits. I understand the attraction of the drives for enthusiasts who know their way around the car's internals but that isn't me. Plus if it broke, I'd be 450 miles from home around people I'd only just met.

But I did get some information from members that was new to me even after 20+ years of ownership (There's a winter wiper setting? Really? Show me.) And watching Huck strip down a seat was entertaining. So I do plan on returning for Reading 17 now that I know a bit more of what to expect.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm only an hour away so I've never gotten a room or stayed overnight.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

You can put me down for a Friday & Sat stay
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The contract deadline has passed and IT WAS NOT SIGNED...There is NO contract for 2016.

This issue was posted over two weeks ago as a group problem. I asked for input, advice and enthusiasm and a commitment from people within the group and the response was not forthcoming.

I decided to forgo yet another embarrassment with the hotel and our failure to achieve even the minimum expectations, which have decreased over the years.

It is now YOUR individual responsibility to call and reserve your rooms for the dates Friday, April 29 and Saturday, May 30th.

Since there is no reserved block of rooms, I highly suggest calling early to secure a room. If you hesitate, there might not be a room available for you on those dates.

610-286-3000

Last edited by svxcess; 01-05-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exclamation Reading 17 hotel information IMPORTANT

Updated Information / VERY LAST CHANCE

As you all know by now, the Reading contract was NOT signed for 2016. It was now the responsibility of each individual member who wanted to attend to call individually and reserve a room.

However, as of a few minutes ago, I spoke with the Director of Sales of the Holiday Inn, who called me to alert me to the following situation.

The NMRA Ford Motorsports Nationals will be in Morgantown that weekend, starting Thursday, April 28. They have rented the Maple Grove Raceway and want to rent the entire Holiday Inn for Ford executives, drivers, vendors, etc. (See attached flyer) Nothing seems to be going on at the hotel, except for the lodging.

They still gave us the courtesy of holding a few rooms for the SVXWN through the end of business Friday, before letting them go, so I had to act quickly

I told them I would sign the contract for 12 queen rooms and 3 king rooms for each of the nights (Friday and Saturday) so there will be a least a few rooms. The price is still $92.00/ night, plus 11% tax.

However the new cutoff date for the block is Wednesday, February 17, 2016. Any rooms not picked up in this block will be given to Ford and gone forever. Period.
Without a contract, they would be gone by this weekend.

So if you are even thinking seriously about attending, you have less than one month to decide...
If you haven't registered by then, you were probably never serious about going in the first place.

Hotel registration info is in earlier posts of this thread. For those who can't be bothered to look, the phone number is (610) 286-3000. The group code is SVX.

Book online at www.holidayinn.com/morgantownpa

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMRA.jpg (205.6 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 02-17-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

THE ROOMS RESERVED FOR READING 17 ARE NOW GONE,

Now given to the NMRA Ford Motorsports people for their event that weekend. They were quite appreciative.

Last edited by svxcess; 02-17-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Hotel.Com asking $145 a day during those dates..
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 02-18-2016, 05:47 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Wow, I hope *somebody* shows up. I love dropping by on Saturday when possible.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: