Old Top Gear - Subaru SVX Review

Very cool... from the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hH4b5UN4ao
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 AM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX
Re: Old Top Gear - Subaru SVX Review

I have not seen this. I hoped that OLD Top Gear had done a review on the SVX, but had never found it!

Thanks for finding it!
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Registered SVX

Thank you for posting the link.
I also thanked and liked the video on youtube.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Well that's interesting - I didn't realize Euro-spec cars have a different center console. The USDM extends all the way to the rear seats but you can see at 5:55 that the Euro model stops short. No rear seat ashtray.

Thanks for posting the video!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Well that's interesting - I didn't realize Euro-spec cars have a different center console. The USDM extends all the way to the rear seats but you can see at 5:55 that the Euro model stops short. No rear seat ashtray.

Thanks for posting the video!
I think that depends on the year, the 94+ that have manual seat belts does not have that extra long center console, I believe.
I just rewatched it and while it showcases the car very well I dont think the guy was really giving the car a chance He may not have liked it and let it show through his review.

Also that car does not have auto belts I think I read only USDM got them.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 10-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
No rear seat ashtray.
European kids stopped smoking in the 80s, didn't need them

Thanks for the post.
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Registered SVX

Not bad but not great
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Edit: Below rant is mostly about english motoring press, not all englishmen in general and "our" englishmen in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
Not bad but not great
The english hate Subaru. Only the STIs were ever good enough for them and only because they were cheap and great performance cars. There's little snow in England and it's deeply rooted in their culture to choose the most laborous and self torturing solution (like manhauling instead of motorized transport). In other words, a French car is a much more attractive proposition to them.

Of course, any english car or car built in UK (Vauxhall (=Opel/GM), Honda etc) is always bloody perfect (native english cars) or really good (badge engineered or Honda).

English motoring press have thrashed the BRZ and love the 86... for a nuance that's all about taste in handling.

A fair shaped SVX does not expend 8.6 sec 0-100.. unless the trans was in ECO mode. You can see the instruments if you bother to position yourself better and the steering wheel better. The window splitter beam is not annoying unless you're taller than most people etc etc. Some valid criticism is just fine, but downright stupid and faulty ones not.

Maybe I'm just a nerf, a zealot, an anorak, but this review was quite coloured by the typical english attitude towards Subaru.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 10-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Average review. More pleasantly surprised than anything else just to see a new video! I found it funny that a critique was that the steering wheel blocked the instrument cluster. Dumbass clearly didn't know the car!

As for english folk not liking Subaru, I wasn't aware of that. I was always of the impression that they loved the Subaru's, impreza specifically. Hell the got the 22B!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

I wish it had one of those track videos that Jezza does...and a power lap
it'd probably be a slow one but who cares; the car is 20 years old
but it's always good to know that the car got some attention when it was launched
thanks for uploading it
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I found it funny that a critique was that the steering wheel blocked the instrument cluster. Dumbass clearly didn't know the car
Actually I have noticed that also. To put the wheel where I want to put it, it does block most of the dash. It's going to vary with the drivers height and arm length, but every car will have a certain driver size that make things awkward in some way.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM

A fair assessment, to my mind. And I liked that he alluded to the fact that 0-60 time isn't everything.

I've always thought one of the car's greatest design shortcomings is that, with the steering wheel stationed where I want, I constantly find myself having to peer around the thing to see some gauge or button. Haphazard layout. And I've read several reviewers who felt the side window divide bothered their peripheral vision. Doesn't trouble me, but maybe I'm just used to it. And the small window opening can certainly present problems at a car wash, parking lot ticket dispensers, bank drive-thru lanes, and the like.

dcb
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
A fair assessment, to my mind. And I liked that he alluded to the fact that 0-60 time isn't everything.

I've always thought one of the car's greatest design shortcomings is that, with the steering wheel stationed where I want, I constantly find myself having to peer around the thing to see some gauge or button. Haphazard layout. And I've read several reviewers who felt the side window divide bothered their peripheral vision. Doesn't trouble me, but maybe I'm just used to it. And the small window opening can certainly present problems at a car wash, parking lot ticket dispensers, bank drive-thru lanes, and the like.
I must be used to the steering wheel, or just the right height that it doesn't bother me. One of the more in-depth reviews I read years ago got it exactly right, IMO about the windows: after about an hour or two of driving it, you can't even see the window divides anymore. Most reviewers I suspect didn't spend quite enough time in the car to get used to it, but anyone who actually buys the car will get used to it practically instantly.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM

I suppose it's not so much the steering wheel that troubles me, but the way the turn signal/wiper control stalks tend to block the row of buttons below the instrument cluster. And I always find myself hunting for the mirror defrost and positioning controls. Guess I got spoiled by old Subies that had button clusters high on pods flanking the gauges, in full view no matter the position of the steering wheel.

dcb
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I have x-ray vision. None of this matters to me.......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything