Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

That was the point I asked Harvey, also have 2 transmissions would be a lot of dead weight. There is a guy here in Australia that joined to Porsche engines together. That would be a better idea.

If you need more power from our existing engine you can either rev it to 10k like we are doing or wack a big turbo on it like Bazza has.

Its worth dreaming though.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
That was the point I asked Harvey, also have 2 transmissions would be a lot of dead weight. There is a guy here in Australia that joined to Porsche engines together. That would be a better idea.

If you need more power from our existing engine you can either rev it to 10k like we are doing or wack a big turbo on it like Bazza has.

Its worth dreaming though.
Tony
I don't think you could really argue that 2 engines together would be the best way to get the most power. But while we're dreaming, might as well dream big. Some things you don't do because they're a good idea, some things you do just because nobody ever did it before.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Registered SVX

Make room for the enormous fuel tank you'll need to get any range out of it but I like the idea
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
SVXtreme

I've always toyed with the idea of a F/R v8 swap myself..
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 AM

I have had a look at the back sub frame and it should be possiable build the front engine support frame into the back subframe. It will require strengthening but it all could work.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Diff Rear Subframe Small.jpg (325.3 KB, 381 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

How sweet would it be if the mounting points were the same distance apart on the front, and rear subframes. You could weld the front to the rear, and greatly simplify the fabrication of the motor/trans mounts. Up to, and including mounting the full powertrain to the assembled unit before bolting it into the body. It would be nice to have 6 bolts holding it in. Simply unbolt the cradle, and drop out the whole unit for service.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM

What you suggests is mostly the way it would work.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
I think you guys and Harvey are thinking the same. He suddested on the weekend the same idea except turn the back engine around and connect the tail shafts.

Pretty wild.
Tony
Well in my defence.

We were talking of a project to do when Tony retires. The Idea was really only a, 5PM, 3 Coopers, type of thought bubble.

Tony had suggested moving the engine to the rear. I thought, that would leave a big hole in the front, so why not just put another one in the rear.

The Subaru “All for the Four Symmetrical”, logo came through the mist. So the thought of two engines and trans, the rear one turned around so the two transmission rear output shafts connected together. So that the wheels were driven all the time, and the two transfer clutches locked.

OK the rear engine would have to run backwards, but that can be arranged, but in the clear light of the day, the problems of getting a auto box and torque converter that will work the opposite way fouled the project.

Next day, only a 2 Coopers day.
OK we turn then rear engine around the right way, no mechanical connection between them, but enough electronic controls to keep the two engines under control.
Both use an auto trans, with only the front drive fitted. Both boxes are run by the one TCU, using the two speed sensors fitted to the diffs, to look for wheel spin. No transfer clutches, so the TCU uses the two electric throttles to control the torque of the engines.
The rear engine would not need any accessories, as the front can do those duties, to provide a biasing of the torque to the rear.

The result would be a 6.6lt 500Hp Flat 12, dual engine, AWD, SVX.

Huck can’t wait to get started.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 10-03-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: AWD
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Harvey you are getting pretty wild,
Now image if you did wnat Bazza does and turbo both engine.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM

All jokes aside,
This project is do able and as such would be best with one engine, the goal is to end up with a final car that is driviable on the open road and is Subaru. For that reason its not a option to use any other motor or gearbox other then Subaru. If its a daily drive then one engine will be enough of a head ache so that is the way it would have to be.

Tony
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Registered SVX

You guys are nuts.

But I'm cheering you on.

Definitely only one engine, just to keep weight down.

Going mid-rear engine gives you lots of opportunities to add lightness.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

For Harvey I say sorry that I have continued this thought but hell it keeps me off the streets at night out of the pub.

I have spoken to a engineer about getting approval for the car to be registerted in the the state of NSW (in Australia). He said it can be done but I need to have a "Scope of work" meeting with him first so I can be clear what is involved to get it passed. I won't do this project unless I can drive the car on the road around Australia. I also want it to be a complete car in other words I need to start with a very good condiation SVX one that has never been crashed (I think I have a car in mind).
In addiation as I see it the car would be a standard SVX in all ways internally except it would not have a back seat. As regards the engine I would anticpate it would be a home for the 10k dry sump special Bazza and I are building.

In other words the car would need to be as good as if Subaru built it.

So the big question that I ask myself all the time is why bother to do this project. Well I think the answer is a lot simpler then I am letting myself beleive.
When I was 16 years old I brought books on designing race cars, they were engineering books about frame design etc. As part of that I had always wanted to get a rear engine car ubt at the time couldn't afford it. Today I can afford just about any rear engine car I wanted up to about 1/2million dollars but I don't see one single car that I want. So to say I am frustrated would be a understatment. I am all about the package which means the building as much as the driving, improving and developing, the proving to myself that I can do somthing, the uniqueness of what I will finally acheive.
I love when I drive throught the desert in a sports car and people are shock because it
"I can't do that, no one drives a sports car in the desert",

To say I enjoy P_ _ sing them off would be a understatment,

A rear engine SVX would be brillant,

Its never been doen before____
The SVX body is the toughest Subaru ever made____
Once the engine proformance was increased it would be a pretty fast car____

And finally its not about money its all about enjoying life and doing things different to the rest of the world, creating something unique that other have never done.

Sorry for the rant but I want to put my thought down as to why the project should hit the go button. Feel free to disagree or what ever, I am happy to here alternative opinions.

Have a great day all.
Tony
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM

I think it's a great idea.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 AM

Brought a further SVX for this project, will provide more details later.
Tony
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Brought a further SVX for this project, will provide more details later.
Tony
and let the cutting out of floor pans begin!!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker