How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX
Stall when put in Drive

When i got the car the alternator had gone bad and fried varistors in a few different things as well as the tcu. A friend of mine soldered new ones in, and i replaced the alternator with a higher output one and did the "Big 3".

Problem I'm facing now is when you put it in drive it stalls out completely, it will go in reverse though...

I'm not sure what exactly would cause this...
I did try using another TCU that i grabbed from a junk yard, but that didn't make a difference. It is possible that a component could have fried in the ECU? I did grab an ECU as well but didn't have time to switch it out, or open it up and check it out. There are also no CEL's being thrown either.

Anyone know what the cause of the stalling may be?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Stall when put in Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcovey2.5 View Post
When i got the car the alternator had gone bad and fried varistors in a few different things as well as the tcu. A friend of mine soldered new ones in, and i replaced the alternator with a higher output one and did the "Big 3".

Problem I'm facing now is when you put it in drive it stalls out completely, it will go in reverse though...

I did try using another TCU that i grabbed from a junk yard, but that didn't make a difference. It is possible that a component could have fried in the ECU? I did grab an ECU as well but didn't have time to switch it out, or open it up and check it out. There are also no CEL's being thrown either.

Thanks,
Joe

i didn't have any alternator or resistor frying problems with my first pearly , i used to shift fine then one day started shifting very harsh , then stalled out at the bottom of a driveway , started again and parked and from then on it would stall in any "gear". P and N it would idle fine but when i moved it to any gear it would just grab and stall

i was told it could be something inside the box or the torque converter had disintegrated internally . my dad (30yrs+)mechanic pulled it apart to see if he could find anything that would make it stall , he found nothing wrong with it at all

i was then told it could possibly just be the "b" solenoid not working
which im guessing controls the amount of slip the torque converter uses , in which case if its that , it wont slip at all causing the stall
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX

does it stall if you have all 4 wheels off the ground? you may be able to find out if it's not allowing slip (possible torque converter lockup solenoid) by shifting it into drive with your foot off the brake.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
does it stall if you have all 4 wheels off the ground? you may be able to find out if it's not allowing slip (possible torque converter lockup solenoid) by shifting it into drive with your foot off the brake.
I did not think of that, I will try it out.
Problem is I don't have access to it everyday. I just moved from Maine to newhampshire, and left the car at a friends in Maine
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcovey2.5 View Post

Thanks,
Joe
Well trying to ignore, the over voltage burn up, I would try unplugging the plug on the left side of the trans, to turn off all the electrics to the box, so that it will only start in 3rd, and see if it still does the same thing.

I doubt it is the torque converter as it will go in reverse.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Well trying to ignore, the over voltage burn up, I would try unplugging the plug on the left side of the trans, to turn off all the electrics to the box, so that it will only start in 3rd, and see if it still does the same thing.

I doubt it is the torque converter as it will go in reverse.

Harvey.
I will deff try that this weekend.
I hope its not the TC, obviously that is a lot more work...

The over voltage was cause by the voltage regulator going bad in the old alternator. Causing it to send 17-18V out. but lets keep ignoring that haha