How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM

EGR delete?

I have two eg33's in the garage right now. On both I had to cut the manifold --> EGR valve pipe to remove the passenger side manifold.

I want to plug the port in the manifold, and leave the EGR pipe open to atmosphere.

I want the motor to run properly and not throw any codes, but don't want to have to fabricate a new egr-->manifold pipe. Emmisions are not an issue where i live.

I eventually would like to remove the EGR system completely and use plugs and blanking plates to cover all the ports.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Ian
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Re: EGR delete?

Bump for some input on this.

I had to break a pipe for my exhaust manifold (rusted), so id like to delete my egr as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I haven't deleted my EGR yet, but I have a decent idea of how it would be done. First, if your car is a California spec car, you don't want to. Likewise if your state requires emissions testing. If you have an OBD2 car, I'm really not sure at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it behaved similar to the CA spec cars.

Really, all you would have to do is remove the part that plugs into the exhaust manifold, and plug the hole with a short bolt or something. Remove the part that bolts to the intake manifold, and fashion a block-off plate of some kind to plug the part where the air enters the intake manifold. (You can also cut the tube and plug the tube, but that would look kind of ugly.)

The part that bolts to the intake manifold might have a temperature sensor on it, which the ECU gets a signal from. (My '92 did not have this sensor, my '94 did, but didn't care that it wasn't there when I swapped in the '92 motor. My '97 has the sensor and a whole bunch of other stuff going on that I didn't recognize from the earlier ones.) If your car throws a code then what you might be able to do is just plug the sensor back in and see if it doesn't any more. It might care that it has a reading from the sensor, but not care what the reading actually is.

Removing the actual EGR system should be pretty straight forward, there's not that much to it. There are a few vacuum lines running around that you will have to plug. The two small vacuum lines on the top of each throttle body lead to the EGR stuff, but you'll want to double check this. Auto parts stores sell vac line plugs of various sizes.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I've effectively deleted mine. The vacuum lines from the throttle body were cut and shaved and plugged with aluminum filler (nifty metal paste stuff). I made a block off plate to go between the manifold and EGR tube, so the only thing left to do it remove the actual EGR hardware.

I did get a CEL as soon as I started the car back up. I haven't pulled the codes to find out if it was EGR related because I spun a rod bearing about 50 KM later and engine codes seemed small fries at that point. But it would stand to reason that if the ECU can't see some of it's electrical components it'll get annoyed. It's possible that you could fool it by leaving the various solenoids plugged in and just not doing anything (vacuum lines and such removed), but that's just a guess.

The car ran fine for those 50 KM, but really seemed to be lacking power. It could have been holding itself back... Don't know for sure.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Phil & Belha

You may be able to get around CEL codes by running a JDM ECU firmware. No EGR on the JDM cars so it won't complain if the system is missing.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM

the best and easy way to determine if you will fell any difference or if you will get a CEL is to disconnect the P small hose that comes from the throttle body and leave it to open to the atmosphere. Plug the P entry on the throttle body and run the cr for some kms... than you will know. Please share your results.
The P hose coming from the throttle body activates the big EGR valve. If there's no vacuum, no aperture of EGR valve, so no recirculation of gases. I 've ran myne without EGR for a long time just to fill the difference and I could not fill any. one moth later I had a CEL for left crank sensor and I reconnect the EGR on my fool wish to make the CEL disappear... I change the sensor and no more CEL. My EGR is still connected since then but I don't think it had something to do wit the failure of the sensor so I can disconnect the EGR again.