Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Finally picked up my 96 SVX. Temp gauge moves around a little.

Well, I am getting it checked out by my mechanic today. Here's hoping that the thermostat is in there and stuck open.

I have to say that the car transmits road noise. On rough pavement it can get loud. Those concrete highway sections are noisy. It makes it tough to distinguish between road/tire noise and bearing noise.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Have you checked to make sure all the tires are matching?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I have to say that the car transmits road noise. On rough pavement it can get loud. Those concrete highway sections are noisy. It makes it tough to distinguish between road/tire noise and bearing noise.
When I took my teal to the road for the first time I immediately thought, whoa... tire noise?! Nope.

I hope it's just that your tires have a very aggressive tread.

dcb
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
When I took my teal to the road for the first time I immediately thought, whoa... tire noise?! Nope.

I hope it's just that your tires have a very aggressive tread.

dcb
They are directional tires, which tend to be a little noisy. And the noise level varies greatly depending on road surface. But, hey, it is a minor issue relative to the potential head gasket problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
But I am not getting to level. I am actually at only about 40% full scale and that was after a long, steep climb. If I had a head gasket problem, wouldn't I keep consuming fluid? If I fill the overflow container, drive it, fill it again to make sure the system is full and then monitor it, shouldn't I see it drop relatively fast? I don't know, I kept hearing about HG problems in legacies as well and mine never had an issue after 14 years and 161K miles. Of course, I drove that car from day 1 and know it was never abused. I don't know about this car.
It's not just a river in Egypt...
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
It's not just a river in Egypt...
You can be a funny, funny man!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

You know, I think some of you are simply sadistic and want to see other people in pain. Nothing funny about that. If you want to be helpful, how about giving me an idea of what the cost should be IF I need a gasket replacement. Since so many of you have had them done, there should be plenty of data.

The mechanic said the car looked solid and ordered a new thermostat and radiator cap. The flush and thermostat change will happen tomorrow. Then I will know for sure if there is still a thermostat in there and if it was the issue.

Thanks to those who have given good advice and well wishes.

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
You know, I think some of you are simply sadistic and want to see other people in pain. Nothing funny about that. If you want to be helpful, how about giving me an idea of what the cost should be IF I need a gasket replacement. Since so many of you have had them done, there should be plenty of data.

The mechanic said the car looked solid and ordered a new thermostat and radiator cap. The flush and thermostat change will happen tomorrow. Then I will know for sure if there is still a thermostat in there and if it was the issue.

Good on you for calling a spade a spade. I have been watching this thread with concern and am pleased that you have relied on common sense and have not become wrongly influenced.

There has been an ongoing tendency within the technical section, for the worst scenario to be given maximum space, when the logical approach is to first eliminate what could be simple inexpensive issues. It would appear that some are intent on only exploring the most complicated possibilities, on the basis of illustrating their alleged know how. As a result they achieve the opposite and more importantly the thread becomes detrimental to the member asking for genuine assistance.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Here's to hoping it's just the thermostat...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:

No one here is being sadistic.
We all share the pain of potential head gasket failure.
As far as the cost of a head gasket replacement, the Subaru gasket kit alone is about $250.00 now.
The machine shop cost of milling, pressure testing, and cleaning the heads could be about $200.00.
Depending on what your shop charges, you might have fifteen hours of labor.
I am sorry that you are having a problem.

Sarcasim is a vent for frustration.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Good on you for calling a spade a spade. I have been watching this thread with concern and am pleased that you have relied on common sense and have not become wrongly influenced.

There has been an ongoing tendency within the technical section, for the worst scenario to be given maximum space, when the logical approach is to first eliminate what could be simple inexpensive issues. It would appear that some are intent on only exploring the most complicated possibilities, on the basis of illustrating their alleged know how. As a result they achieve the opposite and more importantly the thread becomes detrimental to the member asking for genuine assistance.
Maybe you are different than I on this, but as long as multiple ideas are explored, and other possibilities mentioned at least once, I would MUCH rather expect the worst and then find out that its not as bad as I thought.... than thinking oh its minor and finding out I need to have the engine yanked and get a massive repair bill.

A lot of differing ideas were mentioned up front, along with suggestions he TEST for a HG leak also, so I dont think anyone was trying to scare him or be a "spade" lol. Given the amount of HG failures experienced nowadays, and the symptoms that clue in on this as a cause, it wasnt out of line to suggest this as a likely culprit.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I don't have a problem with people suggesting that the head gaskets may be leaking. I just think it was strange that some people seemed convinced of it and made jokes of being in denial if I thought any other causes could be possible. I talked to three Subaru dealers this week, including the largest in the country, and they all said head gasket jobs on the H6 engine were rare and, in some cases, they never even did one. To me, the worst case scenario is that the previous owner or the dealer that sold the car for him removed the thermostat to hide the problem. That would be very upsetting.

Otherwise, I still find it odd that the temp runs low, not hot.

svxfiles,

You mentioned head gasket hill. With a perfectly fine engine, with no head gasket issues, if you climbed that hill on a 90 degree day would you expect the gauge to move off its normal spot even a small amount or is the temp setpoint on the thermostat so high that the engine should never exceed that temperature with the thermostat fully open regardless of conditions?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Up till about 2 years ago, HG's on this engine were somewhat rare. It seems that age is showing it's ugly head and HG's have been failing more often lately. I wouldn't classify it as a common problem like the transmission, and if they are done properly. The HG's will most likely last another 20 years.

Hopefully the thermostat fixes your problem.

It used to be that I would warn a new member to start saving for a bad transmission. Now it seems that new owners should be warned to save for a transmission and HG's?

edit; And the only time that my gauge has varied from it's normal spot was when my HG's went. In my case it was an external coolant leak, leaking out the bottom of the head between the oil pan and exhaust manifold. Even while lying on the ground under the car on ramps with the engine running at 4k, I was never able to spot the leak. It was only identified when the heads were pulled.

Last edited by Hocrest; 08-06-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
svxfiles,

You mentioned head gasket hill. With a perfectly fine engine, with no head gasket issues, if you climbed that hill on a 90 degree day would you expect the gauge to move off its normal spot even a small amount or is the temp setpoint on the thermostat so high that the engine should never exceed that temperature with the thermostat fully open regardless of conditions?
With a properly running SVX, on a 90°f day, the gauge will not rise at all over its normal fully warmed position.
Once they get up up to temperature they stay glued right in the middle.

Of course it takes several hours for that 700lb block (engine and trans)of aluminum and steel to cool down to where you can touch it.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
With a properly running SVX, on a 90°f day, the gauge will not rise at all over its normal fully warmed position.
Once they get up up to temperature they stay glued right in the middle.

Of course it takes several hours for that 700lb block (engine and trans)of aluminum and steel to cool down to where you can touch it.
Where is the normal fully warmed position based on your experience? I have heard it is about 45% or just below horizontal.

I just read that thermostats can also get stuck in partially open positions as well. Annoying little buggers. I should know later today if there even is one in there. Man, what do I do if they took it out to hide a head gasket problem? Am I SOL or do I have recourse? I live in NY and the dealer and owner live in TN.