SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Miss my SVX... (z' issues)

So it has been a little over a month now that I've reverted back to driving the 'beater' impreza and the SVX still sits idle in my driveway waiting for me to spend upwards of $500 in parts for it to have it running again.

(timing belt, water pump, a/c tensioner, a/c belt, not to mention labor)

Had to get in there a few minutes ago to pull some CDs out of the back and it really makes me miss driving it normally. It hasn't really been much of 'normal' since the accident (ever ending issues with the exhaust) and now a leak somewhere and the timing belt broke, even though it was under 30k miles on the timing belt.

I started thinking about it and remembered it slowly getting high in the temp area to almost overheating once or twice on a long run out somewhere but it didn't come back and I had forgotten all about it. Now, after all this talk about head gaskets I'm starting to wonder... if it isn't that which may have caused the temp flux and ultimately the breaking? of the timing belt?

I know a bad water pump can cause it but really... what's the chances of one being bad less than 2 years? I checked the coolant level because I've noticed some slow/small leaks on the ground recently... and I can't tell what it is... but the coolant was full, almost max, for the most part.

A few weeks prior I met with a buddy and he pointed out my rear diff seemed to be leaking slightly or that's how it looked. I'm not sure.. I haven't even really looked into it after he mentioned it as I'm almost to the point of **** it really, but obviously, don't want that to happen lol.

I miss it... and I"ve put a ton of money and time into it... 2 years.. but how much more can I take? It's going to sit for another month I'm guessing as I have other **** I need to spend $ on and I'll make do with driving around in a ghetto box that only takes $20 a week to fill oppose to my gas and part(s) hungry SVX... even though, I do miss it so much

I'm guessing come end of August.. I'll plunk down the $500ish and hope it is only a ****ty water pump causing the temp issue... and then carry on with another several hundred dollars to get the exhaust issues figured/worked out.

At this rate I'll be lucky to have it as a weekend driver... let alone a luxury-stylin' trip monster that I had planned when I first purchased it. I swear to god though, if it turns out to be a head gasket... I'm going to

Sad to say I've been on craigslist looking at DSMs for a more casual and reliable daily driver... the impreza is about to fall apart itself but is holding its own in holding out for me until something better comes out of it all or along I guess...

I love you SVX... why do you have to be such a pain in my ass!?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Miss my SVX... (z' issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
I love you SVX... why do you have to be such a pain in my ass!?
I know what you are saying, as I have definitely felt the exact same way in the past. Even now, one day I want to spend every penny on it and the next day I find myself wondering why I even bother. Either way I find myself constantly thinking about the SVX. (I'm so obsessed )
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I've just stopped listing my issues .
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah, once you just accept that that's how things are sometimes, the closer you get to a luxury trip stylin, daily driving, unique head turner.

I swear, I love how much people ask me about this car. I was thinking of getting rid of it not too long ago for something faster, but I realized how much I would miss it.

Stick with it and it'll most certainly be worth it
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Dude if you want to hear from the quiet minority, I was in the same place you are about 14 months ago when my waterpump took a bleep. I didnt have mucho funds to drop on it right then, so I bought a used (good condition) belt from a member here for $20, bought an A1 Cardone reman waterpump for around $50, spent a couple hours under the hood removing and reinstalling parts, and the cooling system/timing belt have been fine since. It has bought me almost 20,000 more miles so far for an investment of $70 and an afternoon*, so dont feel so despairing about how hard its going to be to get your SVX back. Just get it back . *(Didnt include my freak idler dust cover debacle here in Reno, or the $15 pulley I bought from Scott {Sperry}, wouldnt happen to anyone else in a billion years!)

Id almost say doing the timing belt and waterpump on our cars is on the same level as doing the spark plugs, and a hell of a lot easier than the valve cover gaskets. Theres just not that much stuff that has to be removed.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 07-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.