Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX
Ball Joints

I need some new ball joints. I was reading this how-to, and it says ball joints are about $55 each. The cheapest I could find online are at 1stsubaruparts.com for $68. Does anyone know where I can get them cheaper than the $68?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54253

I checked Advanced Auto online, and couldn't even find them on there. Anyone got them from Advanced before? I could call them, but I'm at work now and was hoping someone had the info. I have a 20% coupon I need to use there soon.

1995 Lexus SC400- Lexta Z
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Ball Joints

They are dealer only. And the price recently went up from ~$50 to ~$70.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I got a deal from Renton Subaru in Washington state! Replace both and lifetime alignment for $1,200.00.

Didn't take the deal because I decided to change them myself and found out neither were bad. I did however let them do the "lifetime" alignment... $120.00 but hey, it is for lifetime, right? I went back to have it checked a couple of years later because the car was pulling slightly to the right. They wanted $129.00 + tax to look and see if it needed an alignment. Alignment would be under the lifetime warranty, but taking a peek was 129.00 + sales tax.

That inspired me to draw a crowd and they waved the 129.00 and took a free look, only to discover that the frame was warped! The car at that time had never been in any kind of accident, so... gullible as I am, that was still a tad suspect.
My tires just needed rotated and I got that done at Costco, my favorite store. I only stopped by at Renton to get the alignment checked in the first place to make sure it was good... after all, I did have some "free ones" coming.

Bottom line... If you take your car into the Renton Washington Subaru dealer for any reason, call time out and phone me so I can remind you of this post!

Keith
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I got a deal from Renton Subaru in Washington state! Replace both and lifetime alignment for $1,200.00.

Didn't take the deal because I decided to change them myself and found out neither were bad. I did however let them do the "lifetime" alignment... $120.00 but hey, it is for lifetime, right? I went back to have it checked a couple of years later because the car was pulling slightly to the right. They wanted $129.00 + tax to look and see if it needed an alignment. Alignment would be under the lifetime warranty, but taking a peek was 129.00 + sales tax.

That inspired me to draw a crowd and they waved the 129.00 and took a free look, only to discover that the frame was warped! The car at that time had never been in any kind of accident, so... gullible as I am, that was still a tad suspect.
My tires just needed rotated and I got that done at Costco, my favorite store. I only stopped by at Renton to get the alignment checked in the first place to make sure it was good... after all, I did have some "free ones" coming.

Bottom line... If you take your car into the Renton Washington Subaru dealer for any reason, call time out and phone me so I can remind you of this post!

Keith
Why would he go to a dealership in WA if he is in IA

As Dave said, its a dealer part, if you order from 1stsubaruparts.com, its a little cheaper than subaruparts.com and it seems to be a lot quicker to when the parts are at your doorstep.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Wait...What? Seriously, what?! The SVX has some of the easiest ball joints ever installed on a car. We call them 5-minute ball joints at work. I don't think labour would be any more than .5 hours each, plus the alignment. So $150 for the ball joints, say $120 labour, $129 alignment.... Where is the $1,200 coming from?!?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Why would he go to a dealership in WA if he is in IA
Looks like someone missed the plot. Might take another shot at it and possibly get the drift of the message.

Keith
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Wait...What? Seriously, what?! The SVX has some of the easiest ball joints ever installed on a car. We call them 5-minute ball joints at work. I don't think labour would be any more than .5 hours each, plus the alignment. So $150 for the ball joints, say $120 labour, $129 alignment.... Where is the $1,200 coming from?!?
It is called "Grand Larceny"... common at most repair shops, but not quiet to this extent. 99% of the "victims" don't know the difference.
You are right about how simple the ball joints are to change with just a floor jack out in a cold garage.

Keith
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
They are dealer only. And the price recently went up from ~$50 to ~$70.
I bought a ball joint for an SVX today.
Subaru part #20220PA000, and the current retail price is now $94.30.

Next gasoline will skyrocket from a reasonable $0.35 a gallon, to $0.60 a gallon for premium!

You know that you will need them, buy them now, or better yet, buy them yesterday!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by immortal_suby; 08-15-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixored part number
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I bought a ball joint for an SVX today.
Subaru part #20220PA000, and the current retail price is now $94.30.

Next gasoline will skyrocket from a reasonable $0.35 a gallon, to $0.60 a gallon for premium!

You know that you will need them, buy them now, or better yet, buy them yesterday!
I bought a pair axles (from spline to spline) from Dancarparts on ebay and they were $110 shipped. He sells lots of parts for svx. In short, Ebay-allthe-way, just dont forget to contact seller and ask all the questions so you get that warm and fuzzy on what your buying.

Hope this helps
Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktheseabee View Post
I bought a pair axles (from spline to spline) from Dancarparts on ebay and they were $110 shipped. He sells lots of parts for svx. In short, Ebay-allthe-way, just dont forget to contact seller and ask all the questions so you get that warm and fuzzy on what your buying.

Hope this helps
Does he have ball joints?

cuz if you install axles where the ball joints go it might not work out so well.:o
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Hi, here is his number (609) 364-8360, his name is Dan. (Very knowledgable)