Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 AM

trans question

trans is slipping whenever i go into drive but does not slip when using manual mode to shift through the gears was wondering how to change out the fluid does it have to be warmed up to switch or just in park or neutral? thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: trans question

That means your brake band is toasted. Usually when the brake band goes the high clutch is mostly gone too so if you start driving it with the manual button on expect to loose 3rd and 4th next. You probably won't loose 1st and 2nd unless you don't have an aftermarket atf cooler and the slipping high clutch creates enough heat to cause the rear support thrust bearing to harden until it crumbles.

You might want to consider one of my partial rebuilds. It upgrades the parts which cause transmission failures on the SVX so you can expect it to last and last and make any fears of recurring failures a thing of the past.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
That means your brake band is toasted. Usually when the brake band goes the high clutch is mostly gone too so if you start driving it with the manual button on expect to loose 3rd and 4th next. You probably won't loose 1st and 2nd unless you don't have an aftermarket atf cooler and the slipping high clutch creates enough heat to cause the rear support thrust bearing to harden until it crumbles.

You might want to consider one of my partial rebuilds. It upgrades the parts which cause transmission failures on the SVX so you can expect it to last and last and make any fears of recurring failures a thing of the past.
but when it goes into drive it runs through all the gears okay theres no slipage its just the initial switch into drive
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Just some dude.

I don't think I am understanding what you are describing.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 AM

alright when i go into reverse the car goes into reverse but when i put the car into drive there's a hesitation then it goes into drive
Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Just some dude.

How long does it take for drive to engage after you put the stick in D? While driving all of your shifts are correct?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 AM

it take no more then 4-5 seconds but when it does go into drive the car jumps forward a bit not alot but just enough to feel it then once it drive it shifts through all the gears correctly
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Just some dude.

Ok, that's the valve body. It probably can not be repaired. Driving on it shouldn't cause any hard parts damage so if you don't want to fix it just drive it and don't worry about it. To fix it you will need to replace the valve body. I sell the performance version for $800 with no core. There are lots of people on the network with blown transmissions rotting in their garages. You can probably get a used valve body for cheap if you post for one in the wanted section.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 AM

do you know how to change the trans fluid does the car have to be heated up or jus in park er neutral cuz im jus gonna drop some trans mdeic in it to see if it works for the mean time
Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Just some dude.

It's not a friction problem. No additive will make any difference. Just drive it.

If you really must change your fluid then draining it cold is fine but it really is a complete waste of money unless your fluid is bad or you put crap fluid in it before. If you have crap fluid in it refill it with quality fluid otherwise you are just as well off driving it without messing with it.

Last edited by longassname; 12-26-2009 at 11:26 AM.