Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2002, 11:05 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks

The number of quality replies in such a short time truly illustrates the goodwill which exists on this site. Clear averages are starting to appear and there may be more posts to come.

Thanks all for a great result and I will comment further particularly when Ron finds out how, where and how far Harvey cruises at mega speeds! Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-06-2002, 06:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Cruising at 210kph (130mph) returns 10.5lt/100kl, = 22.9m/USgl, = 26.9m/Imp gal.
98 octane is $1.04 a liter.
Harvey.

Harvey - YOU CAN CRUISE AT 130 MPH??!!!

I gotta retire to Oz!!

Where's the Barbie, Mite?

Crocodile Mummy (Ron). [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry Ron,. I suppose I did say "Highway".

The highways here have a speed limit of 100kph, 110kph on some of the freeways. But on the secondary roads out west, that we call 'highways', It's an open go.

A 220kl run from Wallget to Moree is as flat as you can get, in all directions, you can see the Roos coming a mile away. Not that I try to speed, It's just that damn engine, once it senses the open road It just starts climbing the torque curve.

I start cruising at 140kph, Check the speedo a couple of minutes later, Oh!, 180kph, Of well, I say, I will try to stay at 180. O well 210 is only about 4300 revs, hasn't even reached peak torque revs yet.

The well damped, long travel suspension removes the bumps and keeps it's feet on the ground over flood way dips. My best mate is relaxing back there listening to a CD, temp set for 22.5cen, Seat set for max comfort.

I mean like, that is what this car is was built for.
It's not my fault that the car's will is stronger than mine, Officer.

Harvey
p.s. I use to do it quicker on the bike.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:30 PM
ehyde111

Re: Average Fuel Consumption

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
. . .
It would be of value if we could record a reliable figure for average fuel consumption in respect of the SVX for say three classes of driving. City commuting in fairly heavy traffic, highway cruising at moderate speed, and maximum performance driving on open give and take roads.

Accurate figures will be essential and those who have taken reliable measurements should post their results so that averages can be established. When quoting gallons it will be important to stipulate US or imperial.

. . .
Trevor,
I've been watching MPG for the past year. I typicaly run 22-24 MPG (US gallons). My driving habits are a bit erratic. Weekly, I commue to from work 5 miles each way, then an aditional 25 mile commute 2x/week, on the weekends, my commute is about 80 miles each way -- all highway at moderate speed. Hope this helps.

As for the conversion

1 US gallon = 3.784 liters

Chris
Old 08-06-2002, 07:50 PM
SVXCAPE

I have been getting about 330 miles on an a single tank premium gas, I don't accelerate like a madman either but I live at about 9000 feet asl and there are many hills around so I usually in 3rd all the time, not much stop and go.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oab_au
[B]

The well damped, long travel suspension removes the bumps and keeps it's feet on the ground over flood way dips. My best mate is relaxing back there listening to a CD, temp set for 22.5cen, Seat set for max comfort.

Splluuuggghhhttt. The sound of drool.

Roneroo.
]

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:32 PM

Registered SVX
Smile

both SVX's do 20 mpg city and 29 mpg flat freeway (is that a west coast term?).
Old 08-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Sorry Ron,. I suppose I did say "Highway".

The highways here have a speed limit of 100kph, 110kph on some of the freeways. But on the secondary roads out west, that we call 'highways', It's an open go.

A 220kl run from Wallget to Moree is as flat as you can get, in all directions, you can see the Roos coming a mile away. Not that I try to speed, It's just that damn engine, once it senses the open road It just starts climbing the torque curve.

I start cruising at 140kph, Check the speedo a couple of minutes later, Oh!, 180kph, Of well, I say, I will try to stay at 180. O well 210 is only about 4300 revs, hasn't even reached peak torque revs yet.

I mean like, that is what this car is was built for.
It's not my fault that the car's will is stronger than mine, Officer.

Harvey
p.s. I use to do it quicker on the bike.

Amen! Preach it, brother!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-07-2002, 05:06 AM

Registered SVX
Ron,

Sorry Im have not replied earlier to your Query. Yes I am just as confused as you are regarding the various ways of recording fuel consuption and find it hard to think in other than MPG. I find it annoying that some motoring publications use different metric systems which means calculations to make comparisons.

What with MPG(US), Ltrs per 100Kms etc. and MPG (Imperial) lodged firmly in memory, the brain box groans.

Regards and thanks for your info. Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:01 AM
awdrocket92

I just filled up coming back from a trip. I put 61 liters of gas and made 653km. Around town I hardly get 400km no a/c. At .82$ a premium liter. I find this car expensive to drive. Tranny not helping I guess shifting is not constant. Dual exhaust and air intake probably don't help!!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:10 AM

What with MPG(US), Ltrs per 100Kms etc. and MPG (Imperial) lodged firmly in memory, t

Here is a link to some neat software which converts "everything you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask".

www.joshmadison.com/software
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:58 PM
red95svx

mileage

I average between 19-22 mpg for city driving, and I can usually get 26-29 mpg on the highway.

I also like Mobil gas. I've had some pretty picky cars in the past when it came to fuel, and they all seemed to like Mobil....
something about it must be good!

David

Last edited by red95svx; 08-09-2002 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:40 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Guys I will grab a calculator and figure how my car compares.

Old 08-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Since 1995 I've been using a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to track my mileage for my Justy and now my SVX. I enter the date, where I filled, how much it cost, the volume of the gas as well as both my trip meter and odometer readings. The spreadsheet calculates everything for me like MPG, L/100km...

I sometimes use the data to create graphs to map mileage or gas prices etc.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Geez, I didn't think anyone was as obsessive as I am. Since purchase (original owner of a 1992), I have recorded mileage and gallons into my Quicken account. I can then export a report of fuel transactions into Lotus or Excel. I then edit a bit and do some calcs and form graphs of every tank of gas I have purchased over the 10 years. I also summarize by month!

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Since 1995 I've been using a Lotus 123 spreadsheet to track my mileage for my Justy and now my SVX. I enter the date, where I filled, how much it cost, the volume of the gas as well as both my trip meter and odometer readings. The spreadsheet calculates everything for me like MPG, L/100km...

I sometimes use the data to create graphs to map mileage or gas prices etc.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:21 AM

Registered SVX
MoreIBNR,

You shame my little calculator but you do not appear to have posted your average figures which would be of considerable interest in view of the length of time you have been keeping records. Please let us have them.