IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Re: Miss firing?? Not sure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The OP stated that it "might be" a misfire, read the symptoms stated. The TPS is also responsible for notifying the ECU to advance the timing when the throttle is pressed..... and since his symptom is a complete delay in acceleration when the throttle is pressed, not rough running, I wouldnt suggest to him discounting an easy test such as verifying a smooth linear voltage output of the TPS.
Read this:

The title of the thread was miss firing. Excuse me for offerring advice that was far better than the crap you've cluttered this thread up with.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Read this:

The title of the thread was miss firing. Excuse me for offerring advice that was far better than the crap you've cluttered this thread up with.
Pardon? The title was "miss firing QUESTION MARK Not sure!!!". And since when is offering help to somebody considered "crap"?

And if you recall, you disagreed with me FIRST, so I can't understand why you would get so angry that I reiterated my point.

It's nice to have more than one opinion on a subject, and your viewpoint is most welcome..... it would just be appreciated to have a little more tact if you dont agree with what I say.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Read this:

What the op is describing is not a misfire and does point more toward the TPS being faulty-I should know as I am currently dealing with the exact same symptoms and just haven't felt like switching it yet since I can just deal with it for now. When someone puts what the op has as a title of this thread, it usually means they are just taking a wild guess as to what it is.
There is no reason for this post from you. SoCal is often one who makes sure to read what a poster is saying and gives relevant advice very consistently.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
What the op is describing is not a misfire and does point more toward the TPS being faulty-I should know as I am currently dealing with the exact same symptoms and just haven't felt like switching it yet since I can just deal with it for now. When someone puts what the op has as a title of this thread, it usually means they are just taking a wild guess as to what it is.
There is no reason for this post from you. SoCal is often one who makes sure to read what a poster is saying and gives relevant advice very consistently.
You don't know what the issue is. I've battled a faulty TPS and know what symptoms it causes.

If you don't think my information is pertinent then just ignore the damn post. Blasting somebody because you don't think their information is useful is childish. And so is having a post count of over 1200 on a forum.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Blasting somebody because you don't think their information is useful is childish. And so is having a post count of over 1200 on a forum.
So I guess most of the people here are childish, according to you.

Perhaps a better explanation is a lot of the folks here like to help others, instead of what Frank Rizzo does.......

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
You don't know what the issue is. I've battled a faulty TPS and know what symptoms it causes.

If you don't think my information is pertinent then just ignore the damn post. Blasting somebody because you don't think their information is useful is childish. And so is having a post count of over 1200 on a forum.
I didn't ever say that your informationg is not pertinent and I didn't blast you at all. You were the one that was blasting the member here and telling him his info is useless. Get your facts straight before hurling insults across teh internets. And if having a post count over 1200 is childish as well, well then I guess I'm childish as well as SoCal, as well as most of the moderators and administrators on this forum. Do you then think that this whole entire forum is childish itself?

Also as taken from your first post, you point out that a faulty TPS causes erratic shift points. I can say that it does not in my car and I now have the ambition to go and change it out to confirm my deduction of mine being faulty. Only problem is I won't be able to change mine out right now as I am currently very busy with something much more important than a car, even the SVX.
A bad TPS may cause erratic shift points but the other main symptom is right in line with what he is describing. The TPS "wears" a "sweet spot" in the place that the throttle is usually used most often (light throttle), especially anywhere after 100k miles. What this does is in those few spots, causes the TPS to not give a correct signal to the ECU or more likely, a zero throttle signal at all causing the ECU to not know that the accelerator is pressed. Then if you push the pedal a little more or just plain "play" with the pedal it will hit areas on the TPS that are not faulty, thereby you often times get the "something releasing" feeling and the car takes off quickly as the OP is describing. Also as he says, mine only has a problem at take off and never a problem once it is up to speed.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I wouldn't give it a second thought Nate, the guy seems very angry at life or something and isn't a big contributor here anyways. BTW I hope Roo is doing ok!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I wouldn't give it a second thought Nate, the guy seems very angry at life or something and isn't a big contributor here anyways. BTW I hope Roo is doing ok!
TY, he's doing great now thankfully! It was quite a scare yesterday but early this morning i waited a little longer to give him his pain killer and he was a little more active and then just now he is very playful even after getting the pain killer a couple hours ago so all is well
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 AM

Registered SVX

I would say check the TPS if you have not already. It is very simple to do and easy to replace. Just a thought though, and i could be wrong, the tolerances in the 92 svx manual online is incorrect. I believe there is a TSB that gives the correct tolerance. Or you could verify that on this forum with the search function.