Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Ireland - wallet attack!

Just had a weeks holiday in County Kildare. Lovely place, lovely people, but my God everything is so expensive! Hands up, I am a skinflint but fish & chips with 2 cans of pop from a chippie, not a restaurant, as good as it tasted surely not worth £20! Indian meal for 2 with 2 drinks, no starter, no sweet, a snip at £55...
If this is the 'euro' effect you can keep it. Wife talked me out of going in the SVX, saying it's reliability was questionable. All in the past I said, but in the interests of marital harmony I relented. Gets home and next day I jumped in the SVX having missed it for a week - 12 miles and the rad sprung a leak! Sorted it but pleased to say the wife hasn't found out.... I believe that this is 'character' in a car. Mind you, someone once defined 'character' as 'not quite sure you are going to get there'!
After all the moaning I would go again tomorrow - great holiday.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Ireland - wallet attack!

That's a little steep. Fish and chips would be about £14 and the meal about £43. With a bottle of wine it would hit £55.
But how's the whiskey?

Last edited by Blacky; 09-21-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Now it's funny you mention whiskey - I had been forewarned on this so took my whisky with me. I'm no Scottish fan but theirs is the only one for me. In fact, my alcohol units per week consumption is about right healthwise, or would be if I was 154 yrs old....When the wife saw the empties as we left she couldn't believe my bad luck - one with a leaky cap and another 2 with porous glass I explained.
Have to say the Guinness was remarkably easy to drink too. Great holiday!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Gets home and next day I jumped in the SVX having missed it for a week - 12 miles and the rad sprung a leak!

it did this BECAUSE you neglected it, had you taken it on the journey, there would have been no problems
Old 09-22-2009, 06:24 AM

I went for fish and chips the other night here in brissy for the two of us we got a dinner for two which was 2 pieces of fish some calamari, chips and potato scallops had to pay $16.00AU!! and we couldnt eat it all
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=legacyau;618669]I went for fish and chips the other night here in brissy for the two of us we got a dinner for two which was 2 pieces of fish some calamari, chips and potato scallops had to pay $16.00AU!! and we couldnt eat it all [/QUOT
Blimey, I reckon that's only £8.53 - you must live like kings!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=stevek;618689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
I went for fish and chips the other night here in brissy for the two of us we got a dinner for two which was 2 pieces of fish some calamari, chips and potato scallops had to pay $16.00AU!! and we couldnt eat it all [/QUOT
Blimey, I reckon that's only £8.53 - you must live like kings!
And we have to endure the horrible weather here too!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Just had a weeks holiday in County Kildare. Lovely place, lovely people, but my God everything is so expensive! Hands up, I am a skinflint but fish & chips with 2 cans of pop from a chippie, not a restaurant, as good as it tasted surely not worth £20! Indian meal for 2 with 2 drinks, no starter, no sweet, a snip at £55...
If this is the 'euro' effect you can keep it. Wife talked me out of going in the SVX, saying it's reliability was questionable. All in the past I said, but in the interests of marital harmony I relented. Gets home and next day I jumped in the SVX having missed it for a week - 12 miles and the rad sprung a leak! Sorted it but pleased to say the wife hasn't found out.... I believe that this is 'character' in a car. Mind you, someone once defined 'character' as 'not quite sure you are going to get there'!
After all the moaning I would go again tomorrow - great holiday.
Bugger Steve, why didn't you PM me you were coming over??

I'm in Kildare, I would have loved to meet you for a pint.

We suffer a little in Kildare from being in the proximity of Dublin. Eateries tend to price using Dublin city centre cost structures, even though their overheads are nothing as high as a city centre location.

There is another problem caused by the boom years, even though we are bust now. People were earning very high salaries and had lots of disposable income. They ate out all the time, nobody cooked at home, the style accustomed and all that. Restaurants and pubs just pushed up prices because nobody complained or even checked their change!

That's all changing now but prices are slow to come down to more reasonable levels. They cling on grimly to the high prices until they have to close down. Over the past year the cost of rent has come back, the cost of house purchase has come back, the cost of cars has come back. The cost of eating out? You would have to look around and know where you were going.

Next time you are in town give me a shout.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: