Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Viper Alarm System Reviews

Does anyone have a Viper installed in their SVX? Which one do you have? Is the 5702V worth $650??

That's pretty damn pricey, I paid that much for a long block EG33..... seems a little much for an alarm remote start and ability to pop the trunk.

The trunk release itself is 60 bucks. Is it better to go with something like the 5202V that doesn't have all the buzzers and ringers??
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Viper Alarm System Reviews

I installed that model into Sov13t's car. It is a really nice system and well worth the $. You can pick them up on ebay brand new for $250

Tom
Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

sweet ebay here i come again!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I have the older 791xv. All I can say is that it rocks and the new version is even better. It's very reliable, has excellent range (mine is 1/4 mile but sov13t's is 1 mile.) Just make sure you dont install the antenna in the front windshield because the TiO2 tinting cuts the range down significantly.

You can also get the window module add-on to roll down the windows and open the sunroof. It also has the sensor that tells the remote what the temperature of your cabin is before you step in.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Viper is excellent, no doubt about it. But I would chose this

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Sorry I wrote the model wrong I guess its the 5901 but can anyone provide a how to or guidance on installing th e 5901
Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

anyone know of any how to's on any other sites of installing one of these that might make it easier for me to put things into perspective. I don't wanna pay to have it done... it's just rape. I'm willing to do it myself...
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
anyone know of any how to's on any other sites of installing one of these that might make it easier for me to put things into perspective. I don't wanna pay to have it done... it's just rape. I'm willing to do it myself...
Its not rape... Its called doing it right. If you cannot do it yourself then I would suggest not even starting until you can afford for someone to do it for you.

Tom
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I had my coworker do mine. It's not the easiest thing and you dont want to fry anything if you've never done it before due to the complexity of the unit.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Its not rape... Its called doing it right. If you cannot do it yourself then I would suggest not even starting until you can afford for someone to do it for you.

Tom
Maybe rape was a strech, but as of right now I don't really have the means to pay for anyone to do much work for me, and my budget is very limited.

I just like doing my own work as it for one saves me money, for two helps me to become more intimately familiar with my car, it's like a bonding experience and I really enjoy it.

It also helps me to know that it was done right and that I'm not going to find someone else's mistake down the road because they took a shortcut because they figured it's not their car they don't care.

I guess it just seems like a lot to me that even with an employee discount I'd be paying 200 dollars just to get the basic system installed, anything else, trunk popper, window module, etc is ontop of that.

If it was something I could do myself, I'd feel a lot better about it that I was able to save that money for something else, and the satisfaction of pride in my work.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Maniac modifier

So read the instructions and find the wiring schematic for the stock security system. With those two things I was able to install the alarm system using 85% of the stock wires

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

awesome! That's what I'm talking about! Does the alarm system come with a pretty detailed instruction booklet??? I have the full SVX maintenance manual or whatever it's called.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

I don't know about the Viper Alarm System.... But I am guessing, since they have good products, that it will show, in nice detail, the wireing schematics.

The alarm system we put on the old Legacy Turbo, I can't even recall the brand, but It had very nice details on wireing it up, etc.
I was experienced with wiring for things like networks, but not for anything on a car when we got it, but It was very stright forward to follow.

If you have the wiring schematic for the Stock Alarm, its just a matter of tieing into the correct wires.

I remember with the alarm, Window Controls, Door Lock Solenoids & Trunk Popper Solenoid... it took about 4 hours to get it all done, and, at the time, it was my first time installing one.

Plus... Doing it yourself, if something does go wrong, you know exactly what to look for as you were the one to do the wiring

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
Plus... Doing it yourself, if something does go wrong, you know exactly what to look for as you were the one to do the wiring
EXACTLY!

Cool I'm excited! This project is a bit down the list... but it is for sure not far. I will be building my sub enclosures running wires and installing my subs, speakers, and amps. Then I'll tackle installing my hydra. Then I'll order clear lenses n corners and I'll tackle my headlights and tail lights. Then I think I'll be good to go for the alarm system! woot woot!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

.... Just remember, if you pass through Jax, Fl... give me a heads up before ya do!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)