Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Tomsvx Intake for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
He was saying that the 4 cyl boxers have as many as 3 resonate points, while the flat 6 seems to only have one resonate point, and that is why we have the resonator where it is. Removing our resonator does not effect the flat 6 as much as it does on the flat 4's. Or something like that.
so, would removing the resonator from the exhaust increase or decrease the power??
Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
so, would removing the resonator from the exhaust increase or decrease the power??
Don't quote what I said lol, I was just trying to clear up what was said for someone else when I posted that.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM

Registered SVX

In theory the exhaust resonator shouldn't affect the performance, only the sound. The tuned length is determined by the cats, anything after that as long as it is not a restriction is only affecting sound. Once again, though, only testing will tell the real tale.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
The resonator being discussed is the Helmholtz resonator in the intake.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

oh ok I see
Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
He was saying that the 4 cyl boxers have as many as 3 resonate points, while the flat 6 seems to only have one resonate point, and that is why we have the resonator where it is. Removing our resonator does not effect the flat 6 as much as it does on the flat 4's. Or something like that.
Yes thanks Nate, I didn't get back to answer that.

I was referring to Williaty's thread on the 4 cylinder inlet resonance problem. They have overlapping inlet phases, that form a long inlet pulse that is hard to smooth out for the MAF to read properly. To smooth it they use two dead end interference pipes attached to the inlet air pipe. This reduces the amplitude of the main pulse and inserts smaller pulses between them ,to smooth the reading.

Removing the standard air inlet pipe and replacing it with a straight pipe, has the two inlet pulses from each side combining into two long pulses like a twin cylinder. To upset the MAF reading at low speed.

The SVX has evenly spaced inlet pulses ,that the MAF can read easily. The inlet resonator just removes the last of the sound waves.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX

That seems to make sense. Just like we have a nice smooth exhaust note we have smooth intake pulses, thanks to being evenly spaced. Sweet.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
That seems to make sense. Just like we have a nice smooth exhaust note we have smooth intake pulses, thanks to being evenly spaced. Sweet.
This makes no sense. The exhaust on the 4 cylinder engines is more rumbly due to its exhaust pulse collisions, as the cylinders on each bank fire following each other instead of constantly crossing the block (1-3-2-4). "Boxer rumble" is a misnomer - it all has to do with exhaust runner length, not sideways-firing cylinders! The SVX fires across the block constantly (1-6-3-2-5-4) creating a better balance.

Harvey, the first reason to respect williaty's threads and information is that all of his statements are backed up with experiments. I'd love nothing more than to see evidence that the intake resonator is exclusively for our ears, and not for the MAF.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
This makes no sense. The exhaust on the 4 cylinder engines is more rumbly due to its exhaust pulse collisions, as the cylinders on each bank fire following each other instead of constantly crossing the block (1-3-2-4). "Boxer rumble" is a misnomer - it all has to do with exhaust runner length, not sideways-firing cylinders! The SVX fires across the block constantly (1-6-3-2-5-4) creating a better balance.

Harvey, the first reason to respect williaty's threads and information is that all of his statements are backed up with experiments. I'd love nothing more than to see evidence that the intake resonator is exclusively for our ears, and not for the MAF.
I will aggree that it is soley to help seperate water and to surpress noise. No gain or loss can be had by removing it

Tom
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:

First off, you seem to think that I do not agree with Williats work. In my first post on the subject, I supported his findings, and offered the reason for it.
Quote “ due to the firing order, that has overlapping intake pulses on each side. ”Quote.

You say” The exhaust on the 4 cylinder engines is more rumbly due to its exhaust pulse collisions” I don't follow this, you may want to explain that in some technical terms.

Also that “as the cylinders on each bank fire following each other”. The cylinders on each side not only follow each other, they have a combined exhaust phase. The exhaust valve on No.1 cylinder opens its EX valve for 240*, when 180* later, the No.3 cylinder next to it opens its EX valve. So, as the first cyl. has 60* of its EX stroke left to go, the No.3 starts its 240* opening.
As both of these cylinders exhaust into the same manifold, we end up with one exhaust phase that is 420* long with two peaks in it. This can only be corrected by fitting a header with long branches to separate the two exhaust phases. All flat fours have the same problem.

Harvey.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I will aggree that it is soley to help seperate water and to surpress noise. No gain or loss can be had by removing it

Tom
+123456789, yep.
Harvey.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I don't know why everything I say comes to a headbutting match with you, so I'll clarify this and steer clear in the future. In my quote above, I was not associating you in agreement or disagreement with williaty's information. My question is that of whether removing the intake resonator bungs up the MAF as it did in williaty's experiment.

Maybe if I make it less personal, it'll be clearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
The first reason to respect williaty's threads and information is that all of his statements are backed up with experiments. I'd love nothing more than to see evidence that the intake resonator is exclusively for our ears, and not for the MAF.
I'll trim it down some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I'd like to see a williaty-style experiment that shows that the intake resonator is exclusively for our ears, and not for the MAF.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I don't know why everything I say comes to a headbutting match with you, so I'll clarify this and steer clear in the future. In my quote above, I was not associating you in agreement or disagreement with williaty's information. My question is that of whether removing the intake resonator bungs up the MAF as it did in williaty's experiment.

Maybe if I make it less personal, it'll be clearer?

I'll trim it down some more.
Sorry if we got crossed paths, wasn't intended

I agree removing the SVX inlet resonator that it will not have the same effect that removing the 4cylinder one has. It will only affect the noise level.

Harvey.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

I guess we'll never know until it is tested though.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)