Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
Clutch Binding, I know its been a problem :(

I know there are some other threads about transfer clutch binding but ive heard so many different things about it I wanted to clarify before i take some mechanical action
I dont have any lights on start up, Nothing blinks

When i put the FWD fuse in the rear binding went away

My mechanic wants to do a flush and refill with transtune and see if that helps. But i heard of someone saying that that will probably damage my transmission because of particles. Ive also read about selonoids and such. Im just very confused about if i should have it flushed now or not, but i do need to take care of this fairly soon so if anyone has any decent input on this please help, Im a mechanical moron : (
Old 01-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Re: Clutch Binding, I know its been a problem :(

No lights, the fuse makes the noise goes away, it tells me that all the electrical and mechanical systems ar operating as they should be.

Are you sure you do not have a missmatched tyre? Different pressures in the tyres? Long shot and only applicable if you have just got the car but... a diff of the wrong ration? Some one has adjusted the centre diff duty cycle perhaps?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Any codes coming up in the TCU???? Mine is doing the same....I have an ATF code and a Speed sensor code coming up....
Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
No lights, the fuse makes the noise goes away, it tells me that all the electrical and mechanical systems ar operating as they should be.

Are you sure you do not have a missmatched tyre? Different pressures in the tyres? Long shot and only applicable if you have just got the car but... a diff of the wrong ration? Some one has adjusted the centre diff duty cycle perhaps?
Actually this is common for Sol. C failure. Either the solenoid requires a constant 12v signal to actually operate (weak coil) or the transfer valve is slow to react in cutting line pressure. Replacing the Sol. C with a new one will include a new transfer valve assembly and likely cure the issue.

Tom
Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Actually this is common for Sol. C failure. Either the solenoid requires a constant 12v signal to actually operate (weak coil) or the transfer valve is slow to react in cutting line pressure. Replacing the Sol. C with a new one will include a new transfer valve assembly and likely cure the issue.

Tom
+1, that's how I fixed the binding my car had when I originally purchased it.

I think my issue was the valve assembly because I wasn't getting any Sol-C TCU codes. I also replaced the clutch plates as well since they were worn from the year or so of binding that the previous owner lived with. But for a couple $100, it made the tranny last a few more years until the front diff exploded, after which I went with 4.44's.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Registered SVX

I have matching front tires but the rear tires are 2 different brands, the circumference is the same, but thats what was on the car when i bought it. the tread patterns in the rear arent exactly the same i dont believe. Do you think that the flush would be a good place to start? My mechanic said he flushed his mother in laws subby and that did the trick and its the cheapest way to start out. I havent had the car too long and i havent driven it much so im not sure the exact problems i may encounter
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
I have matching front tires but the rear tires are 2 different brands, the circumference is the same, but thats what was on the car when i bought it. the tread patterns in the rear arent exactly the same i dont believe. Do you think that the flush would be a good place to start? My mechanic said he flushed his mother in laws subby and that did the trick and its the cheapest way to start out. I havent had the car too long and i havent driven it much so im not sure the exact problems i may encounter
Don't power-flush it. But it might be worth a shot... IMHO its not worth it but hey, I can always be wrong

Tom
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Same as Tom says above, it can't hurt to flush [but not power flush!] the system and replace the ATF. Like him I suspect it will still be binding after the oil change.

The 4 tires are meant to be and supposed to be EXACTLY the same. Even though you are non-mechanical it is unreasonable to be trying to shake down this problem while using unmatched tires on the rear.

Replace the two on the rear with the exact same as are on the front. Or buy 4 cheapos all the same.

Then, after all those tweaks, if you still have a problem, you will be tackling Solenoid C like the guys say.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 AM

Registered SVX

Ok Thanks for the help. I know my mechanic has a spare svx for parts, if that ends up being the problem then he may be able to save me some cash with the used sol.c
Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Same as Tom says above, it can't hurt to flush [but not power flush!] the system and replace the ATF. Like him I suspect it will still be binding after the oil change.

The 4 tires are meant to be and supposed to be EXACTLY the same. Even though you are non-mechanical it is unreasonable to be trying to shake down this problem while using unmatched tires on the rear.
Replace the two on the rear with the exact same as are on the front. Or buy 4 cheapos all the same.

Then, after all those tweaks, if you still have a problem, you will be tackling Solenoid C like the guys say.

Joe

When Joe says exact same, he means it. You have to be careful with the amount of wear on the tires as well as the make. That is, if the front 2 are worn, and you put on 2 new ones on the rear, same problem as having different ones...match the front as close as you can...my money's on buy 4 new ones. You guys in the States have some great tire prices!
(My car was binding, changed out the fluid, it went away for 6 months - until the front diff blew.)

Cynthia
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I know my mechanic has a spare svx for parts, if that ends up being the problem then he may be able to save me some cash with the used sol.c
Try swapping out the throttle position sensor from that donor, especially if your car ever gear hunts or shifts too hard.

dcb