How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 AM
The Molinator

AXLE, Front

While starting to do my front brakes, I noticed a large tear in my outer axle boot (driver side). I think I've replaced this axle twice...First time I purchased the axle (Pep Boys), the second time I got it free on Lifetime Warranty (I think).

Should I replace the axle, since I don't know how long the boot's been broken. There is no blob or large amount of grease inside the broken boot, so I'm assuming it tore quite a while ago. Should I try to replace the boot only as shown in the shop manual? Is that easy to do?

Sorry for the senility...but I almost died in September from chemo I took to treat the cancer I got in August. I can't remember how to replace the axle, even though I've done it twice...Ha! Do I remove the lower ball joint, leaving the rest of the supporting structures intact...to remove the axle (to either replace the boot..or to replace the axle)? Also, I didn't do the front disc and pads, because I was afraid I would have to remove the calipers/rotor for the axle.. Do I have to?

Sorry I have to bother you with this basic info, but I would sure appreciate your help.. .

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: AXLE, Front

It is easier to replace the whole axle and a lot less messy rather than just replacing the boot.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
The Molinator

OK!.. Do I have to remove the rotor/caliper?.. or can they remain attached during axle replacement? It seems like I just detached the lower ball joint (3 bolts) to pull the suspension out of the way to get axle out.. ?? Is that right?

Thanks.. . Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
The Molinator

OK.. I found the "How to" thread for front axle.. . Never Mind!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

It's pretty easy to follow. I was about to send it to you when I looked last time.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM

Registered SVX

I think I've replaced this axle twice...First time I purchased the axle (Pep Boys), the second time I got it free on Lifetime Warranty (I think).

that is your problem. take some advice, get a subaru oem or mwe axle. and be done with it for good.
or, don't listen to me and have vibrations and replacements required every 6 months or year.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
The Molinator

Why dint U till me B 4! Hmmmmmm!?
[I pick up my free Lifetime Warranty replacement axle today.. . (special ordered)]

Oh Well... .. . Hmmm? Jim
Old 01-23-2009, 05:52 PM
The Molinator

BTW...the axle replacement took me forever because I forgot that I can't take out the three ball joint bolts (on top) without jacking up the A-arm to change the angle (so the bolt can back out without hitting the hub structure!) I don't know if it was always like that...but it was not mentioned in the "How to", so think it became a problem for me when I installed the drop springs and Koni inserts!...?

[Heh!.. What if i put the bolts from the bottom up (instead of inserting from the top), placing the nuts on top? It would alleviate the problem, but I was too afraid I'd have to redo the positioning for some undetermined reason...or have my ball joint fall off while driving...So, I went to the trouble of re-installing with the bolts inserted on top! Yikes!]

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You can also just turn the steering wheel all the way to the right to get one bolt out, and all the way to the left for the other one. It takes only a slight amount of manuevering to get the bolts out this way.

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-24-2009 at 03:55 AM.