How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-10-2002, 09:06 AM
AJ

Help! Fuel System/Electrical problem??

Thanks for the help in advance, its pretty urgent. Im worried the dealer is trying to screw me.

1994 SVX L

Driving home the other day, my car simply stopped running, like went dead, no power steering, brakes. Took like 10 tries to get it started, went about 100 yards and it died again. Same thing again, then had it towed to the dealer. I have been noticing problems starting the car for the past few months. (I get in, turn the key, nothing, no attempt to start, but the car turns on ok, just no engine activity whatsoever, it will work after about 6 tired)

Dealer (normally trustworthy, Tischer Subaru in DC but seems to be under new ownership) says problems in the elecrical system, perhaps due to aftermarket best buy alarm wiring...Causing/combining with faulty "fuel resistor" and "fuel module control" for about $770 estimate. Parts need to be ordered from outside the country, will take a week!!@@!!

Called another dealership, they said theyve never heard of those two parts! Im confused as hell, and just a college age kid so i'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks for any help you can give.

PS: i dont know if this is important, but for the past 6 months, my car experiences very not smooth/grinding acceleration under certain circumstances, very noticeable. I was in an accident a few weeks ago, and now it seems this problem happens all the time. I dont know what it is and why it would be aggravated by a minor head collision, but now the car drives like crap. Don't know if the problems are related. Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2002, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
First, if you're lucky the starting problem might not be too expensive. It could simply be loose security bolts on the ingition switch. We bought replacement bolts for $0.50ea at a hardware store and cured the problem immediately.

Second, the stalling problem could be related to many things. I've never heard of a "fuel resistor" or "fuel control module" either, but then again, I'm not an expert mechanic. Perhaps you should ask them for some part numbers? Some simple things to check are the fuel filter, fuel pump, and pressurization. You can usually hear the fuel pump and pressurization when you turn the key to the ON position before starting the car.

As for the grinding during acceleration, you'll probably have to provide a more detailed description of the symptoms for anyone to help, but have you considered checking the brakes?

Last edited by kuoh; 07-10-2002 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:26 AM
UStifosi

Where in DC are you located?

I had a similar starting problem and had the starter and security bolts replaced. It seemed to lessen the problem.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:52 PM
AJ

I'm in College Park usually, sometimes North Potomac. I'm all over suburban DC MD basically....

I have never into dismantling stuff on the SVX, just seems a little beyond me...is the tightening of the bolts a tough job?
Old 07-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
There is a resistor on the fuel pump. It's used in series with the pump when on light throttle to drop the fuel flow. There could be a problem there, but I would get them to diagnose the problem, Not just replace the whole thing.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AJ
[B]I'm in College Park usually, sometimes North Potomac. I'm all over suburban DC MD basically....

AJ - Would your car be red & have 666 (no, I'm not kidding) on the license plate?

Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.