How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM

Coil Pack Wire Connector

Ok....after spending what has seemed to be hours trying to get the connector for the coil pack "unconnected" and having no success...I have now managed to pull one of the wires out of the connector on the harness side of this extremely, poorly designed connector. What are my options for repair? Should I try soldering the wire back into the connector? ( yeah...right....like there's enough room to get a soldering iron in there). Or should i drive this thing into a ditch and walk away from it. Seriously....were the engineers for this car known drug abusers???? Were they paid by the complexity degree? Quite possibly the worst car I've ever owned.....................but the one I love the most. What's up with that???? Anyway, suggestions, tips or prayers appreciated!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
That's gona leave a mark.

Re: Coil Pack Wire Connector

I almost did the same thing on my 94, lucky for me the metal connections came out of the plastic connector/ housing, and they snapped right back in.

so- if you finish getting the connection apart, you can get the metal connector out and solder/crimp the connection again then put it back in.

as to how to get the thing apart correctly in the first place- I leave that to someone with a bigger clue, sorry

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Just slide the metal connector out of the plastic clip and recrimp it. Use a saftey pin to push out the metal connector.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

To get the connector apart, rather than push in on the lock tab, you need to pull it up with your fingernail or a small screwdriver.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Yeah, I tried pushing on the clip....lifting the clip, with and without a small screwdriver. Once I get the damn thing apart...I will use all the great suggestions I have received so far. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXonthebrain View Post
Yeah, I tried pushing on the clip....lifting the clip, with and without a small screwdriver. Once I get the damn thing apart...I will use all the great suggestions I have received so far. Thanks!
Could always call OT a million and 1/2 times like I did

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
To get the connector apart, rather than push in on the lock tab, you need to pull it up with your fingernail or a small screwdriver.
Small screwdriver is how I did it as well.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Could always call OT a million and 1/2 times like I did
Lol!! That's what I do..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 AM
My car/My project: red '96 LSi

Question Re: Coil Pack Wire Connector

Aaaauuuugh! I'm trying to diagnose a misfire in the middle cylinder on the driver's side, but I can't figure out how to release the electrical connectors for the driver's side coil packs! I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I've replaced a passenger side coil pack before; although I remember the connectors being somewhat aggravating, I could actually reach them on that side. Now I can't even see the male end of a connector, let alone the little tab I need to pull in order to release it. Not to mention that I'd need to then somehow pull the two ends apart, and find a way to get the female end (the end that runs to the coil pack) detached from the back of the engine block.

Please help me figure this out. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:07 AM
That's gona leave a mark.

I just replaced #5 (back left passenger side) It s harder to see the passenger side connector block.

I took out the airbox, removed the coil, then stuck/wedged a small screwdriver in the connector "clip" and pulled on the coil & wire. that worked for me.

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cohen View Post
Aaaauuuugh! I'm trying to diagnose a misfire in the middle cylinder on the driver's side.
Did you get a code for the diagnosis?
Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnsltd View Post
I just replaced #5 (back left passenger side) It s harder to see the passenger side connector block.
Hmm. Maybe the previous owner messed with the passenger side coilpacks, because I can get to their connectors—they aren't in a block.

Quote:
I took out the airbox, removed the coil, then stuck/wedged a small screwdriver in the connector "clip" and pulled on the coil & wire. that worked for me.
I've tried pulling on the connector while holding the long thin clip (on the side next to the engine) toward the connector body, using pliers to yank on it and trying again using a screwdriver wedged into there while I tried to get it to move by hand. No luck so far.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Did you get a code for the diagnosis?
Thanks,
Keith
No, not yet. When it suddenly started running roughly I realized it was missing on one cylinder, so I pulled the fuel injector plugs one at a time and identified the culprit. With the injector plugged in, I can smell unburned gasoline in the exhaust, so I think it's working (although I imagine the unplugging will cause each of them to throw a code now!). I've got a spare coil here that I think works, so I figured it makes sense to see if switching it in solves the problem. It would be an easy thing to try, except for this connector that's kicking my ass....

Today I'll try figuring out how to read codes. I've read the how-to documents, it doesn't sound hard.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No, not yet. When it suddenly started running roughly I realized it was missing on one cylinder, so I pulled the fuel injector plugs one at a time and identified the culprit. With the injector plugged in, I can smell unburned gasoline in the exhaust, so I think it's working (although I imagine the unplugging will cause each of them to throw a code now!). I've got a spare coil here that I think works, so I figured it makes sense to see if switching it in solves the problem. It would be an easy thing to try, except for this connector that's kicking my ass....

Today I'll try figuring out how to read codes. I've read the how-to documents, it doesn't sound hard.
Thanks for the information and... Reading codes is super easy!

Keith
Old 01-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I've tried pulling on the connector while holding the long thin clip (on the side next to the engine) toward the connector body, using pliers to yank on it and trying again using a screwdriver wedged into there while I tried to get it to move by hand. No luck so far.
Well, I finally got it free by jamming an allen wrench in there to depress the clip or tab, and pulling with the pliers. Success! And it only took me a couple of hours! Grumble.

Plugging in the old known-pretty-good coilpack solved the problem, so it looks like I guessed right. Oddly, I can't see anything wrong with the one that's gone bad (no white lines, no carbon tracks or black deposits, no cracking or broken wires). Oh, well. All I have to do now is decide whether to order a new ignition coil from Subaruparts.com for $76 + s&h + tax = $94, or a used one from Aaron's Wrecking for $40 + tax = $44.