Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
miracle cure for binding

Caught your attention I bet... I have been experiencing some torque binding problems in my SVX. Last week I even lost the tranny oil pressure and thus the transmission for a short period. Turns out the filter was plugged or something. I got the transmission oil changed and the tranny filter which seemed to clear up the torque bind for a day or so. But it came back. I've been reading all the threads and one recommended adding limited slip differential additive to the tranny. So I did. Took it for a little drive. All torque binding gone.....
Just thought I would pass it on.
PS limited slip differential additive cannot be bought at Cdn Tire (canada). I had to go to a dealer to get it. i went to a Toyota dealer. $7.00 cured the problem.
I will report back to let everyone know if it continues to solve my problem.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Re: miracle cure for binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
Caught your attention I bet... I have been experiencing some torque binding problems in my SVX. Last week I even lost the tranny oil pressure and thus the transmission for a short period. Turns out the filter was plugged or something. I got the transmission oil changed and the tranny filter which seemed to clear up the torque bind for a day or so. But it came back. I've been reading all the threads and one recommended adding limited slip differential additive to the tranny. So I did. Took it for a little drive. All torque binding gone.....
Just thought I would pass it on.
PS limited slip differential additive cannot be bought at Cdn Tire (canada). I had to go to a dealer to get it. i went to a Toyota dealer. $7.00 cured the problem.
I will report back to let everyone know if it continues to solve my problem.
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that one, just in case.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Interesting is right!. I am surprised that the binding comes from the transmission. Actually I should probably not be surprised a bit because I actually don't understand all I know about the limited slip thingy. However, I did assume that the thing that was binding was probably one of the contraptions that the front or the rear CV shafts come out of.
Would love to know more.
Keith
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Limited slip additive is merely masking the issues. Also, it allows for greater slip throughout the entire transmission which is asking for trouble. Take the following steps to properly diagnose and solve the problem.

- Install the FWD fuse to see if all binding symptoms are gone
-Yes... follow instructions below
-No... There is a physical issue in the transmission w/ either the transfer valve being stuck, solenoid C totally gone, or siezed clutches (doubtful is the LSD additive is working)
- Check TPS voltage at throttle rest and also check to make sure the voltage increases smoothly throughout the range.
- Replace the solenoid C(1) along with the transfer valve gaskets(2) gasket plate (1) and extension housing gasket (1).

Bandaids fixes are exactly that... They are meant to get you by while you gather the parts, time, and/or money to fix the problem.

Tom
- Check the TPS voltage and range of the sensor
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

I put the fwd fuse in and the problem went away suggesting that it was not the Sel. C.
So I followed the same procedure that cured the problem on my legacy. Which was to change the tranny fluid and put the Limited Slip differential additive into the tranny. My mechanic did it to my Legacy and it cured the problem. it's been perfect for at least a year.
My mechanic, who has a lot of experience with trannies, explained the process to me and it sure made sense to me. Basically the clutch packs get locked up and the additive works to unlock them and allow them to slip like they were meant to.
The Legacy has been perfect and I expect the same with the SVX.
I don't know if it's a bandaid solution or not. But it's working for me. I have read about a too many people who spend a lot of money to repair their car's torque bind only to find that it did not solve their problems.
If a $7.00 bottle of additive does the trick, I'll try it.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 11-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
I put the fwd fuse in and the problem went away suggesting that it was not the Sel. C.
So I followed the same procedure that cured the problem on my legacy. Which was to change the tranny fluid and put the Limited Slip differential additive into the tranny. My mechanic did it to my Legacy and it cured the problem. it's been perfect for at least a year.
My mechanic, who has a lot of experience with trannies, explained the process to me and it sure made sense to me. Basically the clutch packs get locked up and the additive works to unlock them and allow them to slip like they were meant to.
The Legacy has been perfect and I expect the same with the SVX.
I don't know if it's a bandaid solution or not. But it's working for me. I have read about a too many people who spend a lot of money to repair their car's torque bind only to find that it did not solve their problems.
If a $7.00 bottle of additive does the trick, I'll try it.
There are a couple things that cause "binding"

- Physical locking of the clutches (either seized or packed too tight)
- Physical fault in the transfer valve in which it is not able to hold line pressure from reaching the clutch pack.
- Sol. C failure
- TPS out of calibration or has dead/high spots
- Mismatched Differentials
- Bad speed sensor(s)

If this is a new occurance, you can rule out the idea that the clutches were packed with too tight a clearance.

Many tranny guys are good at what they do, but an LSD additive doesn't just work on just the transfer clutches, it works on all the clutches, which is not recommended. I am not going to force you to fix it, but I think it is right to keep you informed. Also, just because the FWD fuse works, does not mean the solenoid isn't bad. It could be that the solenoid cannot pick up the duty cycle because it is tired but can pick up a constant 12v signal (FWD Fuse).

Tom
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

Many tranny guys are good at what they do, but an LSD additive doesn't just work on just the transfer clutches, it works on all the clutches, which is not recommended. I am not going to force you to fix it, but I think it is right to keep you informed. Also, just because the FWD fuse works, does not mean the solenoid isn't bad. It could be that the solenoid cannot pick up the duty cycle because it is tired but can pick up a constant 12v signal (FWD Fuse).

Tom
With mine, putting in the FWD fuse stopped all binding, and it was still the Duty C solenoid that was the problem. I replaced the solenoid, did a TPS adjustment, and the problem was solved!

But if I was me in your position, I wouldn't use the additive, I would first do a TPS adjustment, do a couple of figure 8's in a parking lot, and see if that solves your problem. If not, then I would invesigate further.