Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 09-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Methanol... Take 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Not the timing belt, my blower belt. It keeps walking off the front by one rib.
Sorry, the perspective got me. Must be an alignment issue. OT has the same issue with his system.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yea the PS pulley needs to be shimmed out.

Bobby there is a problem with what you are thinking though. The voltage from the MAF you have is going to different for the same air rate of the stock meter. Thats the problem even if the MAP and MAF monitor using the same signal, yours is still different because you are using the Z32 MAF

Tom
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

True... But it is all irrelevant now as the computer on the pump has its own "MAP" sensor and it will be reading off of the same line that my boost gauge reads. Simply run a 't' fitting off of the existing line and voila.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I do not think that the PS pulley needs to be shimmed. If I shimmed it I would need to shim the crank pulley as well as that is doing the same thing.

I ran a square off of the PS pulley to the blower pulley and they are perfectly square at the base of the blower pulley but as you go up they are no longer square (the blower pulley is set back a bit at the top). This is due to the angle at which the blower sits. I tried everything today. My blower pulley was already shimmed out 1/8" using washers (3 washers per mounting bolt). I tried 2 washers per bolt, 1 washer, no washers, back to three washers. Could I simply not be tightening the belt enough? I have it pretty freaking tight already......
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bobby,
There could be a slight amount of dynamic longitudinal "walk" in the system. This is what will cause the belt slippage, even with the system being perfectly square statically. I'd suggest spacing things out statically as YT has suggested.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Bobby,
There could be a slight amount of dynamic longitudinal "walk" in the system. This is what will cause the belt slippage, even with the system being perfectly square statically. I'd suggest spacing things out statically as YT has suggested.
-Bill
But it is not perfectly square.. The blower pulley is resting in a different plane than the other pulleys. This causes the belt as it comes down from the blower pulley to not hit the crank pulley square, but rather it hits with the back edge first and then the front edge. The difference is ever so slight but it is enough to make it walk one rib forward on the crank pulley and then causing the PS pulley to follow suit. If left long enough or if the motor were to be revved, it would walk off completely....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

The belt probably needs to be tighter. With short belt runs like we have the belt seems a lot tighter to the touch than it actually is. Having multiple things driven on one belt is problematic but it's what we ended up with. The problem is the different driven loads accelerate and decelerate differently so that the tension/slack in the belt is not distributed evenly accross the belt. A bunch of tension will accumulate in one span between pulleys and a bunch of slack will accumulate in another span between pulleys. If you could figure out an automatic tensioner to fit into the span that gets the slack you could get by with less tension. As things are you have to keep the belt very tight so that it is not possible for enough slack to develop in any span to allow the belt to jump ribs.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 AM

That is what I am going to be trying this afternoon.... See how it goes. In had everything fine on the 12psi pulley so this should be good too. I just need to work on it a little more.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Just some dude.

That shouldn't be the problem. You should choose your shims to get the centers lined up and the idlers on each side should take care of the rest.

If you remember I assembled it by mounting the blower mounting flange to the blower, setting the blower on the engine and shimming it in line, mounted the sides of the manifold to the motor, and welded the mounting flange to the manifold sides. Perfection is hard to achieve like that so if the angle the blower is sitting is a little off I'm sure it is the angle of the mounting flange in the manifold. What we could do that might be pretty cool is find some somewhat compressible gasket board material like they used on old carburetors. If you can find it and send it to me--when i get a chance I'll machine some thickish gaskets for between the manifold and injector stacks that can be compressed unequally to let you adjust that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
But it is not perfectly square.. The blower pulley is resting in a different plane than the other pulleys. This causes the belt as it comes down from the blower pulley to not hit the crank pulley square, but rather it hits with the back edge first and then the front edge. The difference is ever so slight but it is enough to make it walk one rib forward on the crank pulley and then causing the PS pulley to follow suit. If left long enough or if the motor were to be revved, it would walk off completely....
Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Just some dude.

If we do that I think instead of making a 1 piece gasket for each side like the oe's I'll make a seperate gasket for each intake runner.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM

I was thinking about calling Outlaw Engineering and having them make me a different spacer for between the blower and the manifold that is angled precisely to offset the angle of the mounting flange.. Or I was thinking about taking the set of spacers that go between the stacks and manifold and machining them down progressively towards the front, also offsetting the mounting flange angle. That would raise my blower pulley, but my hood is going to undergoing surgery over the winter anyway and that will be a non issue...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Good News:
The lines are now run for the injector and for the boost line. The wiring is basically done for the pump and the low level indicator LED is mounted and wired in.

Bad News:
I tightened the belt down RIDICULOUSLY tight and it is still walking off. Is there a chance that the tighter I make it that I could be exagerrating the problem? I need to pull the manifold to mount the injector so I am not going to worry about getting the belt set right now if I have to take it off again but this is getting really annoying.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 PM

FWIW:
I highly recommend this product from a quality stand point and ease of installation and clarity of instructions. A+ Coolingmist.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Bobby, if you follow the belt... why would the blower angle effect the PS pulley.... Wraps from crank--PS pump--Blower. If it is pulling off the PS pully it is either the crank pulley off or the PS pulley too far in. Considering I dealt with the same issue... I would suggest shimming the PS pulley out. BTW... Hitting 14psi with the 9psi pulley and a sealed system.

Tom
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM

because the angle of the belt as it hits the crank pulley coming off the blower is an angle that promotes the belt to want to work its way forward. So, it starts moving onto the shoulder of the crank and then from there it pulls it over the front edge of the PS pump..... If I shim out the PS pump it will no longer be in line with my crank pulley and it seems to me that it would make it worse.

P.S. mail me that gasket stuff so when I take my blower off to install the meth injector I can reassemble it with the gaskets!!!!!!!
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5