Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
Head Unit W/a Hard Drive?

Does anyone know of a receiver unit with a hard drive built in?

All I can find is the Sony's, which, as far as I can tell, only allow you to rip a CD you've inserted, and of course, it saves it to the hard drive in ATRC3 codec.

I'd like to get my 20GB of music into the car. I don't really want to have an iPod hanging off of an input.

I could home brew something with Linux and an ITX motherboard maybe, but that's a PITA and probabbly there's cheaper dedicated solutions. I just can't find them at crutchfield of bestbuy.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Re: Head Unit W/a Hard Drive?

Yeah, I was checking out JVC line of decks before - 24gb of space with 16gb of maps 40gb total... here is the one I wanted to get about 3 months ago... haven't done more research since then though.

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1

-Sov13t.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz

If iPods are $150 hows this thing $1100?! Holy Moly!

I could build a PC with a 27" LCD TV in the backseat for that much.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi all,
Could you use a head unit with an USB input, maybe rear mounted, with a portable HD?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Problem with using portable hard drives becomes powering them and securing them... which pretty much overrides the idea of "not using an ipod."

Seagate had a great idea with D.A.V.E. a solid slate disk powered by a battery with bluetooth and wi-fi interface. However, for some reason that project never got off the ground. If it did, I would throw one of those under the passenger seat.... and forget about it.

I am sure pretty soon we will start seeing decks that will take advantage of SD cards that have bluetooth and wireless USB (WUSB) standards, which will solve such issues fairly well.

Yeah, that deck is expensive

-Sov13t.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

I've got a 120gig external Western Digital hard drive that pulls the power straight from the USB. Unfortunetly, my DVD deck doesn't have any external inputs for it, but I use it all the time for the Xbox 360 to stream music.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
I am sure pretty soon we will start seeing decks that will take advantage of SD cards that have bluetooth and wireless USB (WUSB) standards, which will solve such issues fairly well.
Alpine IVA-W205 is what we have in our SVX. Mated to the Blackbird, it accepts our iPod Touch, our iPhone, our 2GB SD cards (into the Blackbird), CD's, DVD's, and has complete Bluetooth integration with our phones.

California has a cellphone law now that you can't have it up to your ear while driving. Never mind the woman with the makeup and hairstyling going on during the morning commute, or that guy using both hands to munch on his McMuffin or his breakfast burrito...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

There are many headunits with rear mount usb ports. You could easily mount a hd in the glove box or arm rest, and run it up.

Here's an external 80gb USB powered drive:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...LB80-R&cat=HDD

It does have 2 usb plugs, that you have to use the second if extra power is needed. However there are 12v cigarette lighter adapters that have usb ports for the purpose of charging things like this, ipod, etc.

My new headunit I have coming in is a am/fm/cd/mp3/dvd/etc with 7" screen, but my USB port is on the front, which is annoying. However, it does have an SD card port, I was thinking of getting an 8gb SD card for music on the go for it. I figure this is plenty, as i have an 80gb Zune, that only has 3gb of music on it...
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
do da stanky leggggg!

Send a message via AIM to apocalixto

I am a strong believer in Pioneer products...so I would say if you want to spend the time doing a little customizing...you could have a GREAT system with the Pioneer AVIC-Z3. And now there is even the bypass instructions for the video available online if you are interested in that. The customizing is going to be difficult, but I believe that it can be done.

MB Quart components and 6x9s, Autotek "Mean Machine" Amplifier, Pioneer D3 Touch Screen Nav/DVD/CD/iPod, 4 10" PowerBass 2XL Subs, Powerbass XA-3000D Monoblock Amp
Flowmaster exhaust, MP 6000K HID w/ clear lenses and '97 style grille, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ scoop (recently painted), 17" Sport Max rims (gunmetal w/ chrome lip), Ground Control Coilovers, Motorsport Crank Pulley, and Green Filter, ARP head studs, GroupN Engine mounts
4.44 AWD swap w/ Quick Change
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalixto View Post
I am a strong believer in Pioneer products...so I would say if you want to spend the time doing a little customizing...you could have a GREAT system with the Pioneer AVIC-Z3. And now there is even the bypass instructions for the video available online if you are interested in that. The customizing is going to be difficult, but I believe that it can be done.
When I eventually get around to my audio system I want to use the AVIC-D3 unit, the Z2's cheaper cousin. Especially now that it's come down in price a good bit (from ~1K to $650).

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl