SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-17-2002, 06:46 PM
uconnscott

I have the EXACT same problem

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Most likely the ignition switch is the culprit. There was a thread on the Yahoo club way back with several owners seeing the exact same symptoms. It seems the security bolts that hold the ignition switch in place has a tendency to loosen over time which somehow allows for imtermittent contact that generally affects the start position first. I don't have any firsthand experience with this problem, but this is what I recall of the old thread.

For those of you handy with electronics and wiring, it would be a simple matter to tap the starter wire in the ignition harness to an LED mounted on the dash, so whenever the key is in the start position, the LED would illuminate. Then it would be a very easy task to determine conclusively whether it's the starter or the ignition switch. The LED could also be wired after the starter kill relay to eliminate that as a possible culprit as well.

KuoH
The dealer is trying to sell me on getting a new starter too. I am bringing it to the shop late next week. I didn't think it was the starter because the care does start....It just takes some time.

If it is the ignition switch, can the dealer fix it? And how much should it cost?

I love my car, but this starting problem is really annoying and even embarassing sometimes. Appreciate any advise!