IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
So now, my car stumbles even worse then it did before. New Iridium plugs that stumble. Great....
Jason when does it stumble? Idle, under load, accelerating?

A lot of this sort of problem, stems from the rubber boot on the coil that covers the plug. This can develop carbon tracts that will short the spark out, down the side of the plug.

If there is a track, it can be scratched out, and sealed with a silicon spray. Better is to replace them with some off a set of 'after market' plug leads.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Jason when does it stumble? Idle, under load, accelerating?

A lot of this sort of problem, stems from the rubber boot on the coil that covers the plug. This can develop carbon tracts that will short the spark out, down the side of the plug.

If there is a track, it can be scratched out, and sealed with a silicon spray. Better is to replace them with some off a set of 'after market' plug leads.

Harvey.
It stumbles all the time now. It always searches for idle and stumbles when it's cold. When it's warm, it only stumbles at low RPM's (sub 2500RPM).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM

There's an access hole on the driver's side? Nice...

I just did my plugs on saturday. I thought they'd be a lot worse, actually. They took maybe an hour total for all 6. I did a bit of loafing around though.

I'm definitely a fan of the NGK Iridium. Idle is just rock solid now.

Also, I'm with Harvey. It's either a crack in one of the coil thingers or just a bad coil itself. Best way to check is just go around one at a time and disconnect the coils as the car is running. When you unplug one and the idle doesn't change, that's the cylinder that's not firing right. Then just take the coil out and inspect it for cracks or damage.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
did you drop any of the plugs by mistake? maybe you have one with a closed gap. (been there)

In any event I'd recommend pulling the fuel injector wires one at a time to check for the misfire, rather than the coil wires.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
did you drop any of the plugs by mistake? maybe you have one with a closed gap. (been there)

In any event I'd recommend pulling the fuel injector wires one at a time to check for the misfire, rather than the coil wires.
That's definitely easier.

Here's my problem. When the car is warm enough to run the rad fans, it doesn't idle search and it doesn't stumble or hesitate. I did several strong pulls and it didn't miss a beat. I have yet to get a bone cold test since I reset the ECU and did a relearning sequence (the same one I did to my Legacy). I'm going to take the camera out tomorrow to video tape this stumbling nonsense if it happens again tomorrow morning.
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Couple of tips on spark plugs:

1) for the plugs that you can barely get a ratchet into, use a regular ratchet to break them free, and then spin them out with one of those finger ratchets (Or an air ratchet if you have air)

2) If your cam cover gaskets are leaking, and you are doing plugs at the same time, the plugs are a LOT easier with the cam covers removed since you have an extra 1/2" to 1" of clearance.

3) When installing the new plugs, spray the threads with silicone spray, they will thread in easier. Also spray the inside of the coil, where it attaches to the spark plug, the coil will go on easier, plus it'll come back off easier next time.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Registered SVX
Meh, the car's still acting up. It's weird because when the car is at its warmest, it doesn't stumble that much. However, from cold it stumbles enough to shake the car. It reminds of when my MAF was bad.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sparkplug boots... They may look fine but they will still leak. Either get a new set of boots or use some dielectric grease to seal them up... More than likely the root of your problem since tampering with the seals by installing new plugs seems to have made it worse

Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
sparkplug boots... They may look fine but they will still leak. Either get a new set of boots or use some dielectric grease to seal them up... More than likely the root of your problem since tampering with the seals by installing new plugs seems to have made it worse

Tom
Damn, and I thought I could get away without having to take those out again. So, what should I do with the boots once they're out? Just cover the outside rubber part in dielectric grease or in the inside part that goes around the plug itself?
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Best to seal the boot to the coil itself and then spread some on the inside of the tip that seals to the plug... You can get little packets of the stuff at most auto parts stores for a couple bucks

Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Someone posted about boots off of a set of off the shelf cables will fit onto our coils???

Sometime in the last year? Not sure who posted it though???
Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

Harvey.
Only took 10 posts to get back to what I said here.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Only took 10 posts to get back to what I said here.

Harvey.

I saw many post it so I left it... but revived it when it seemed overlooked.. This should have been the first thing taken care of

Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I saw many post it so I left it... but revived it when it seemed overlooked.. This should have been the first thing taken care of

Tom
Well, I picked up grease and now have to wait until my car is cold. Unfortunately, it'll be a day or two until I get to that position. I really don't want to take the battery out again...

I'll take pictures as I do the process so maybe we can put up a how-to. The boots looked fine when I pulled them but I guess they aren't. If this doesn't fix it though....
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Well, I picked up grease and now have to wait until my car is cold. Unfortunately, it'll be a day or two until I get to that position. I really don't want to take the battery out again...

I'll take pictures as I do the process so maybe we can put up a how-to. The boots looked fine when I pulled them but I guess they aren't. If this doesn't fix it though....
To be honest you *should* grease the plugs any time you take the coil off them...

Tom