Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Make sure there is not a crack in the coil boot. Also use a very small amount of dielectric grease around the inside of the coil boot. Also something you might look for is if there is a lot of corrosion on the plate inside the coil that contacts the top of the plug.

As for plugs, use either NGK, or Denso. Bosh, Champion, etc are junk. I have used Bosh plugs for other projects in a pinch, and always seem to have problems somewhere down the road.
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM

yes that coil had a black circle inside the coil where the plug touches it... i cleaned it up a little bit but it did nothing...
Old 11-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
well i did that a while ago, i still got misfiring but, i dont get a CEL for it, it took like 2 months to even get a CEL for cyl. 2 in the first place....
where did you get the misfiring when you swapped coils? on that same cylinder or the cylinder where you moved the suspect coil to?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just did a search and you have 4 different threads about the same problem with coil/sparkplugs/misfiring. It makes it very difficult to try to help you when the clues are spread out all over. Please try to keep it to one thread so that we can easily see all of the information and what troubleshooting has been done already.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM

when i baught the car it had 4 plugs that were the +2, and the other two were platinum 2.

it has misfiring and backfiring, i cant figure out what it is, 2 months later while it is misfiring i get a CEL, saying cylinder 2 misfire

i pull the plug on cyl. 2, put a new one in... no change, i reset the ecu

i then switched the cyl. 2 coil with cyl.1 coil, hardley any change, yet NO CEL

i put all new bosch +2 in, runs even worse

i took out the new +2 plug from cyl.1 (cyl. with the supected bad coil), and changed it with a old platinum 2, not the +2

now it runs like before i changed all the plugs

the engine died on me while i was driving, oil lights flashed, dont know if these problems are related...

i can definatly tell when its running on all 6 cyl. and only 5, when it doesnt misfire it will instantly get up and go, it will shift at 6500 rpm, but if it feels like its sluggish it will only shift at 4500 rpm at WOT and have the power of a NA legacy.....

i hope i have give some better details....

Last edited by cruisen_15; 11-03-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If I am reading that correctly it means the misfire did not follow the suspected bad coil from cylinder 2 to cylinder 1. This would mean there is nothing wrong with the coil.

If the coil is not causing the misfire you have to move on.

Try pulling the plug on the fuel injector on the misfiring cylinder while it is running and misfiring. See if there is any change as you unplug it and plug it back in a few times.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:55 PM

but right now i dont know what cylinder is misfiring, i still dont understand how it acts weird when i change the plug with the suspected bad coil......
Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So we are back to not knowing if it is the coil or not.
Forget about the plugs for a minute.

To tell what cylinder is misfiring you need to have the car running.

While it is running and misfiring go to each cylinder and one at a time unplug the fuel injector, listen for changes in how the engine is running, and plug it back in. When you find a cylinder where unplugging the injector does not change the running of the engine you have found the cylinder with the misfire. The good cylinders should cause the engine to almost die when you unplug them. The bad cylinder you will hear little or no change in running when you unplug it.

Once you identify which cylinder is misfiring you need to identify what is causing the misfire. Is it the fire or the fuel.

To find if it is the ignition, you swap coils between the suspect cylinder and a good cylinder and then go through the unplugging of fuel injector clips again. If the misfire follows the coil to the new cylinder then it is the coil.

If the misfire stays with the cylinder and does not follow the coil swap then it is the sparkplug or the fuel in that cylinder.

If testing does not show it is the coil you need to swap fuel injectors between cylinders and again test for where the misfire moves to.

Read through this thread starting at post#20. He went through avery similar problem and they used a great troubleshooting technique to find the answer. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...r+firing+order

Last edited by immortal_suby; 11-03-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM

thanks for the help immortal, i did the test you told me and yes of course it is the coil i suspected to be bad, i figured out why it doesnt run bad when i use the old plug, the prngs on it were pushed towards the center so it can spark easier , i also put some TB cleaner inside the coil where the contact is and used a sharp flathead to sorta scrap it to a nice finish, hooked it all back up and ran much better with nearly any misfire, it does here and there but i think itll be a little quicker once i get my new coil, pep boys sells new ones for only 99$, i thought that was a good deal so im going to get one....once again thanks for the help so i didnt buy something i dont need