How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM

SVX Newbie questions

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've inherited a neglected '95 L - I've always been a fan of this car, but I may be in over my head with this project. Here's the history:

7/13/2004 - into the shop for the following:
Transmission rebuild, front wheel bearing, inhibitor switch (?), install. of a used transmission computer. The shop ticket says something about an electrical problem that caused the trans. computer to go bad. A "bad" fuse panel was also replaced.

Sometime in the summer of 2005 it was in a frontal collision and sustained some cosmetic damage. It had been parked in a driveway for nearly two years before I took it off the owner's hands and saved it from the scrapyard. I've been piecing it back together on ebay, but I've noticed recently that the transmission seems to slip or "flare" even after unplugging the transmission resistor. The car has had about 13,000 miles put on it since the repairs - I've personally put on just about 150. I have a hard time believing it could be an actual transmission problem already. It does have mismatched front and rear tires. I'm in the process of replacing the transmission resistor, but the current one doesn't look too bad. Any information you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Graphic Artist

Hi there, a 2-3 flare when the resistor is unplugged is not unusual, esp. if the TPS is misadjusted or the brake band is worn.

Don't jump to the worst case yet. Keep that resistor plugged in, I've witnessed several transmissions grenade weeks or months after this supposedly "safe" mod is completed. If you'd like firmer shifts, go with a shift kit, or build your own resistor to meet your specs. A bad resistor can often be the cause of a 2-3 flare.

Measure the voltage on the middle (white) wire on the TPS (drivers side of throttle body) adjust until it reads .5v .

Take a look at the brake band adjustment how to here on the network, and retorque your band to the proper spec.

If all appears well with these two, you may need a new TPS, search for TPS testing, there is an excellent article here on how to check for faults, or you could simply swap it with a known good TPS.

In my case, my transmission flared at 2-3, no matter what I did, I finally replaced the TPS, tranny resistor, and adjust the brake band all in one go, its gone and has not come back.

Oh, and welcome to the network!

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 10-22-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
It's somewhat normal for the revs to increase when shifting between 1st & 2nd, especially at low speeds. The engine will rev then the gear will kick in. It shouldn't be violent or excessive. Just a slight rev-thunk. This can be adjusted somewhat with the band in the tranny.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_hustedt@hotma View Post
I have a hard time believing it could be an actual transmission problem already. It does have mismatched front and rear tires.
That may be the problem right there. This will make the tranny go if it is not corrected very quickly. I would not drive it unless you get all new tires that match.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
It's somewhat normal for the revs to increase when shifting between 1st & 2nd, especially at low speeds. The engine will rev then the gear will kick in. It shouldn't be violent or excessive. Just a slight rev-thunk. This can be adjusted somewhat with the band in the tranny.
I can not agree. The SVX transmission should and does shift absolutely smoothly and flawlessly if in good original condition, set up and adjustment.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Registered SVX
Greetings Newbie,

Your problem should not involve the dropping resistor. However it should measure between 9 & 15 to be within specifications. Most have proven to be near 12 ohms. You will find full information on the dropping resistor in my locker.

Refer to the how too section or my locker in order to find detailed information regarding cleaning and setting the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). As already pointed out this could well be the cause your problem. In any event well worth doing in respect of a car sitting unused for so long. To not replace it without setting it exactly.

Please be more specific regarding the transmission flare and more detailed advice may come to hand. Between all shifts, if not exactly which?

You have an excellent project on hand. Getting something obtained at little cost, and making it into something worthwhile can be very rewarding, in both mind and pocket. Stick with it, have fun.

Best of luck. Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I should note that the resistor also seems to control the engagement of third gear. While coasting down a grade, place the shifter in 3. The revs will immediately fall off and bounce off of 1k.

I ended up just soldering a new one together out of a fireproof resistor from an electronics store and it fixed everything.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
I should note that the resistor also seems to control the engagement of third gear. While coasting down a grade, place the shifter in 3. The revs will immediately fall off and bounce off of 1k.

I ended up just soldering a new one together out of a fireproof resistor from an electronics store and it fixed everything.
Nomake,

I am not sure what you are describing.

There is no way that the resistor can control third gear as such. It can affect line pressure, but this is not its prime function and the resistor circuit should not be used for this purpose.

Cheers, Trevor.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Unfortunately I am not lying. If you go back and read the threads when I first joined you'll find that the following occurs with a bad resistor (mine was reading as an open circuit when tested later on):

When you place the shift selector in '3', the revs will fall off until they reach about 1000 RPMs, then will "bounce" up to about 2250, then fall back to 1000, then bounce back up, until you place the shifter back into 'D'.

Replacing the resistor with a properly functioning one (and that is all I did, there were no other changes) returned function of '3' to normal.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
same thing happens when you just unplug it, you lose third gear engine braking.

I've tightened my brake band, unplugged the resistor, and occasionally still get some mild 2-3 flare, so I guess its TPS time
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats