Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-19-2007, 04:00 AM

how much $ to fix ticky lifter?

i already asked this question once but i think i worded the title wrong.

i have what im pretty sure is a noisy lifter. because...

it ticks louder when hot(especially after ive been racing it).
thicker oil seems to quiet it up a little.
i used a long a$$ screwdriver to try to find it. and it was lodest on the middle of the drivers side valve cover.

anyways does anybody know how long it takes or how long it calls for to change a lifter. or how much a lifter costs.

i also kinda heard the tick when i put the screwdriver on the intake manifold, just to the drivers side of the black plastic cover, just front of the center.
is there any thing that would tick under there.

i did search and couldnt find anything. if there is a thread about the $ part of this issue just give me a link and ill be happy.
THANKS
Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Did you try any Marvel Mystery Oil in it? That sometimes can quiet sticky lifters. Other than that though, you'll pretty much have to take off the valve covers, remove the valves, and bleed and refill the ones you think are sticking. It'll take some time, but it isn't too expensive if you do it yourself.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Don't put marvel mystery oil in it. Use something that was made for sticky lifters which will not foul up your cats. Valve medic works nicely, however, me thinks your issue isn't as simple as a stick lifter as when it likes to do it. Hows your oil pump? How often do you change your oil? What kind of oil do you use? Has it ever been run low?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Don't put marvel mystery oil in it. Use something that was made for sticky lifters which will not foul up your cats. Valve medic works nicely, however, me thinks your issue isn't as simple as a stick lifter as when it likes to do it. Hows your oil pump? How often do you change your oil? What kind of oil do you use? Has it ever been run low?
No to the Marvel? In the Legacy's, that's well-known for clearing up sticky lifters.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
No to the Marvel? In the Legacy's, that's well-known for clearing up sticky lifters.
I didn't say it wouldn't work but remember where all that oil and crap is going. Straight into your cat. Use a product that is made for the job at hand. Using your whole a$$ is always better than using only a part of your a##
Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

i alredy used mmo, i also tried an engine flush before.
it seemed to be the quietest with some thicker oil and, "engine honey". in the morning alot of times it doesnt tick.

the reason everyone says use mmo for the noisy lifters on this car is because, i guess it's usually a clogged passage way to the lifter, so it doesnt get enough oil. i think maby mine were like that for too long. or maby it is something else.

is there room under the hood to remove the valve covers. it looks pretty tight on the sides there.

and ive only had the car for about 11000 miles, ive probably changed the oil 5 or 6 times. i have no prior knoeledge as to what has been done to this car as far as repairs.(i did find out the ecu has already been "crushed"[snipped]).

i dont know what kind of condition the oil pump is in, or if it has ever been changed. ill do a search on the oil pump.

supposedly i have high flow cats that are pretty new according to the guy who sold me the car.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstafresh View Post
i alredy used mmo, i also tried an engine flush before.
it seemed to be the quietest with some thicker oil and, "engine honey". in the morning alot of times it doesnt tick.

the reason everyone says use mmo for the noisy lifters on this car is because, i guess it's usually a clogged passage way to the lifter, so it doesnt get enough oil. i think maby mine were like that for too long. or maby it is something else.

is there room under the hood to remove the valve covers. it looks pretty tight on the sides there.

and ive only had the car for about 11000 miles, ive probably changed the oil 5 or 6 times. i have no prior knoeledge as to what has been done to this car as far as repairs.(i did find out the ecu has already been "crushed"[snipped]).

i dont know what kind of condition the oil pump is in, or if it has ever been changed. ill do a search on the oil pump.

supposedly i have high flow cats that are pretty new according to the guy who sold me the car.
Yeah you can remove the valve covers with the engine in the car. Not the easiest thing to do but doable. You're sure that it isn't a loud injector right? My SVX has an injector that flips out every so often after sitting for a couple weeks.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 AM

i broke down and bought a mechanics stethiscope.
Of coarse when i got home to check where the tick was coming from it was more quiet than it had been in months. Perfect excuse to get er' up to 90 in second gear.
when i got home the tick still wasnt that loud, but loud enough.
i chased it to the drivers front side where the cam gear is. It was loudest on the bolts on either side of the sensor. heres pics.
you think this is because it is the closest to the cam? The lifters would be ticking against the cam right?
(not sure what that sensor is either, but when i unplug it my engine dies immediatly)