IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Outback tire question

Short and to the point.

Looking for a good all-season performance tire. decent mileage, good in snow and fairly quiet. Price is not too much of an issue.

Any suggestions?? I was looking at Blatt Tire in Philly. Any place else I should look? Would like to get things lined up before heading up next Wednesday.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-12-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Tires

Hi John, I;ve had good luck with "Goodyear" Assurance Triple Tread on my Legacy GT. They handle nice and do well in our Michigan Snow. They have an 80 thousand mile wear out warrenty. I think I paid about $115.00 each out the door. I have about 35 thousand miles on them over two years. Take care, BOBB
Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Short and to the point.

I will be looking to put a new set of tires on my wifes 2002 Outback VDC wagon while in Philadelphia. Her most recent set was the Bridgestone Potenza G009. She got almost 50,000 miles from them and they seemed to give her decent handling and performance. Tire size is 225-60-16.

Looking for a good all-season performance tire. decent mileage, good in snow and fairly quiet. Price is not too much of an issue.

Any suggestions?? I was looking at Blatt Tire in Philly. Any place else I should look? Would like to get things lined up before heading up next Wednesday.

Once I get her all taken care of, I can run off and play at Tom's house!!

John - I was considering getting the Bridgestone Potenza G009 for the Baja, they seemed like they were a decent tire for the money - decent reviews on TireRack and not nearly as expensive as the OEM Bridgestones. Is there some reason you're looking for something else?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Where the heck is Millington?

Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads - I have them on my 99 Outback and they are great. Dry, rain, snow and ice - super performance. Got 'em at Wal-Mart considerably less than the G'year store.
1997 LSi, Brilliant Red, 62K, #204
1999 Outback Limited, Black, 182K
US Navy Retired (CWO3)
Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Based upon input from here and other tire reviews freom 1010tires and tire rack. I went with the Goodyear Assurance tripletreds.

Excellent in dry wet and snow, very long mileage UTG 740), excellent ride and noise. Most reviewers were very impressed with these tires. We shall see...

$540 out the door for a set of 4.

No, they don't make an ultra-high performance version for the SVX

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Headed to Texas...

I read the reviews for about 6 different tires on Tire Rack. I would say that Tire Rack reviews pretty much boil down to: what do you want to hear? One reviewer wil rave about the tire, the next will tell you what a piece of crap it is.
I looked at the Triple Treads, and for me it was not enough tire for what they were asking in $$.
I went with the Sumitomo HTR - H4. $290 delivered and probably $360 installed on the Baja. Same tire I've had on the SVX and liked. Had the summer version on the WRX and liked. Better specs than the OEM Bridgestones.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Exclamation tire tests

tirerack.com does actual tire tests of all tires under similiar circumstances and has the actual wet and dry test results on the web site. the actual test results are very revealing and are inconsistent with tirerack's ratings. the kumho supra 712 is the most underrated tire when you look at the hard numbers, but in a 225/60vr16 all season tire the continental contiextreme contact for $78 has the best #s for the money. compare prices at tires-easy.com discounttiredirect.com edgeracing.com has wtf pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Short and to the point.

I will be looking to put a new set of tires on my wifes 2002 Outback VDC wagon while in Philadelphia. Her most recent set was the Bridgestone Potenza G009. She got almost 50,000 miles from them and they seemed to give her decent handling and performance. Tire size is 225-60-16.

Once I get her all taken care of, I can run off and play at Tom's house!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: