Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
OBDII 5mt CEL... fix

Well I have figured out why OBDII SVXi with the 5mt conversion throw codes...

The code tossed is the P1702 tcm... This also stands for a lacking signal comming from the AT Diagnosis terminal. Now its not as simple as I hoped. This signal is a waveform that varies voltage from less than 1v to more and 4 volts. Now in order to cure this we can eithe leave the TCU connected and need to switch the inhibitor to park whenever you need to remove the key or start it... or we can work together on finding a way to either lose the need for the signal or create a new one

Tom
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Maniac modifier

pin 80 needs to be supplied the waveform... sory the pic is so big but I had to scan a print-out

Tom
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Radio Shack oscillator chip with a 9V battery?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Bill, I was thinking of something a little more perminant... BTW do you ever check your voicemail??

Tom
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Well I have figured out why OBDII SVXi with the 5mt conversion throw codes...

The code tossed is the P1702 tcm... This also stands for a lacking signal comming from the AT Diagnosis terminal. Now its not as simple as I hoped. This signal is a waveform that varies voltage from less than 1v to more and 4 volts. Now in order to cure this we can eithe leave the TCU connected and need to switch the inhibitor to park whenever you need to remove the key or start it... or we can work together on finding a way to either lose the need for the signal or create a new one

Tom
Tom,

The wording "whenever you need to remove the key or start it..." is rather loose. Please fully describe every condition in which the inhibitor switch is required to register park, as well the exact subsequent circuit change required at the inhibitor switch.

With this information on hand, I should be able to make viable suggestions towards solving your problem.

Edit P.S. Can/does "key removed" equate with key in the off position. If not and two functions are involved, do OBII cars have an ignition switch with key in/out contacts, as do many cars which incorporate a "keys left in at door opening", warning function?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-19-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Bill, I was thinking of something a little more perminant... BTW do you ever check your voicemail??

Tom

Tom,
Been working in a "special" building at Lockheed Martin's facility out in Denver - no cell phone reception . I'll check my voicemail tonight (yeah, got to work 28 hours this weekend )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Interesting... I might have an idea. What are the variances in the signal coming from the tcu? Is it seperate for P, D, N, R, 3, 2, 1 or is it just P and everything else?

If it's the latter, for starting conditions only, i'm pretty sure something can be devised rather easily. If you can get me the readings, or provide me with a tcu that would give me readings on my o-scope, i'm pretty sure i can duplicate the wave-form.

I can have seperate automatic switching sequences for the two signals, tying into the clutch switch which prevents the engine from starting unless the clutch is pressed, so that it will throw park codes when clutch is in, normal driving codes when clutch is out.

Would that cause any sort of problem when you go to shift gears as far as the ecu goes?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Maniac modifier

the issue is that the diagnostic plug for the TCU is no longer getting a signal to the ECU. This is because of its lack of presence. Now to fix this, we would need to create a waveform that varies from less than 1v to more than 4v. At a frequency that I do not know. This freq. can be measured on a stock OBDII SVX that is OBDII and still has an auto. Once it is measured we can use the velleman kit that I have for my DCCD controller and set it up to create the frequency we need

tom
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Yeah, that's what i mean. Would need to be able to toy with an OBD2 system to get the wave form. When does it change, what effects the waveform reading?

I can most likely make something from radio-shack parts to emulate the wave-form, without having to go so far as to hook it to your DCCD controller, it would just be a tiny circuit board that would need to be wired in.

BTW, i got the parts for your data dump piece, be putting it together this weekend hopefully. Just need to find 1-2 more parts.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Maniac modifier

I have a feeling it doesn't change unless there is a code present. So we need a perfectly good operating OBDII svx to be a test pig... Not to mention an osciliscope to measure the wave form

Tom
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

i've got an o-scope. just gotta dig it out.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Maniac modifier

aw man... those aren't cheap or easy to find... great!! Now who has that OBDII that will stand to the test

Tom
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Nah, but it's like 20 years old. Some kids got blocks to play with, i got an o-scope...

Old 08-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I don't imagine it being an analog signal.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Maniac modifier

lost me... that was hard huh??

Tom