Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
some stupid questions

I know I know, no the only stupid questions are unasked ones. But trust me, these are going to seem silly to you guys.

Let me point out that before my SVX (that I saved up 2 years to get) I've been driving around in a rusted out GL-10 wagon with no heater.

So, here are my questions, feel free to scold me for not searching or whatever it is around here.

- What's this MANUAL button on the side of my shifter? This is the first automatic I've ever owned but the function of this button escapes me? Do I need to push it to keep the tranny in one gear or something? I thought I could just use the selector to choose it myself?

- The SHIFT LOCK button, wait wait. I already have a button that locks the shifter, it's ON THE SHIFTER, what's this one for? To lock the shift lock button..?

- I know about the main problem areas of the car, mainly that the tranny's are suicidal and the wheel bearings have a tendancy to get tired. This car came with repair history and within the last year, all the belts on the engine have been replaced, the tranny was replaced (with one out of a '95 SVX) and all the wheel bearings have been replaced. Now the tranny seems fine, and the car makes no funny roaring while I'm driving, so I assume those parts are fine for now. BUT, there's some kind of rattling when I drive over bumps, it's definatley coming from under the car and it's DEFINATLEY happening when the front axle.

Any ideas? I havent looked under the car yet, it might just be some loose underbody panels or something.

(okay so that last question wasn't so stupid)
Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Welcome, since you come from the GL world, at least you won't have to ask "why your parking lights stay on, when you turn the car off"

1. The manual button will start the car in 2nd and keep it in 2nd if the selector is in 2nd. If the Selector is in 3rd, it will start the car in 2nd and allow it to shift to 3rd.

2. The "shift lock" button allows you to move the shifter out of park without using a key in the ignition.

3. Loose exhaust heat shields? Rotten sway bar bushings??
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Oh, that actually makes sense, DAMN YOU SUBARU lol.

Oh yeah, I've been with subie for a while now, why else do you think I'd go for an SVX?

I've been told by many that it might be the heat sheilds, are those in the front by the engine then? I was under the impression they covered the flex pipe.

Assuming it was the bushings though, is that a serious problem, or is it more of a "It's annoying but I'll fix it when I care."

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
Assuming it was the bushings though, is that a serious problem, or is it more of a "It's annoying but I'll fix it when I care."
When I had a sway bar bushing fail I could feel trouble through the steering wheel (even felt a thump through the floor when it let go), and the rattle of the bar within the bracket sounded like the entire front suspension was about to come out from underneath the car. Disconcerting. The sway bar bushings are easy to check without jacking the car or removing a wheel; just cut the steering wheel hard in one direction and look into the wheel well on that side.

dcb
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Heat shields cover the two pipes from the headers to the pre-cats then to the resonator, above and below. Can't remember if there is one above the main cat, but I think so.