How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
FastandFurious

cold start issues

As I mentioned before I am looking to sell my SVX but there are a couple things that I want to try to get fixed to get top dollar for my car. One I mentioned in another thread about my AWD and the other is a problem starting in the cold. Anything below freezing will trigger this issue, but the colder the harsher it is.
Anything between about 0 - -10 Celcius will start rough or maybe try twice to get it started.
Anything colder than -10 Celcius you have to be very careful orelse it won't start.

Anyway, when i try to start it at a cold temperature, it will start, the rpms will go up to 1500 then the engine will die almost right away. Then to start it a second time takes LOTS of cranking and the same thing will happen again unless i press the gas pedal when the rpms start to go up. Same is true on the first start up, if i press the gas right when it starts it will stay running.

This is why you have to be careful under -10 becuase you usually don't get a second chance.

When it does start the exhaust smells like gas.

To me it sounds like the engine is getting flooded some how, but pressing the gas makes it better when it starts up?

I'll list recent work
New air filter
New spark plugs
New fuel filter i just did the fuel filter recently and i didn't let the pressure off of the pump, but when i took the line off no gas spit out at me like there was no pressure. That was letting the car sit overnight and i changed it first thing in the morning before i drove it.

When the car runs, it runs perfect, super smooth and fast.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 AM

The symtoms aren't entirely the same, but three winters ago my teal wouldn't even try to start if the temperature was around 32F, unless I held the accelerator to the floor; then it caught immediately. Only seemed to happen around freezing with a stone-cold engine. I replaced the ECU temp sensor and have not had a single instance of trouble since. Might be worth a shot.

dcb
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
FrankenWedge (My EG33 powered XT6) does the same thing....I replaced the Temp sensor with one out of my spare engine, but it made no difference.....I suppose the other sensor was bad too....but wish I could be sure before I buy a new one...

It's a real bear to start this time of the year as it is....going to end up burning up my starter

I guess I should break down and buy a new sensor....it's only money, right ?..
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM
FastandFurious

Update

I have been playing around with starting my car. I have noticed since I posted i have found a technique to flawlessly start it without using the gas pedal. Coldest temp was -15 Celcius start up.
I started it a bit like a diesel. Leave the key in the on position for about 10 seconds before cranking it. Starts perfect everytime, so far...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 AM

aac

Perhaps this is an auxilliary air control issue. You could pull it and clean it up a bit.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Perhaps this is an auxilliary air control issue. You could pull it and clean it up a bit.
Yes: certainly sounds like.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Cold Starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
I have been playing around with starting my car. I have noticed since I posted i have found a technique to flawlessly start it without using the gas pedal. Coldest temp was -15 Celcius start up.
I started it a bit like a diesel. Leave the key in the on position for about 10 seconds before cranking it. Starts perfect everytime, so far...
When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? You may also have a small leak in the fuel line. Do you ever smell fuel? Sounds like the rail needs time to charge. If it works do it Let us know if this keeps working for you.

With my modified fuel rail I need to turn the key, let it charge a bit, then when I here the pump kick off, I shut it down and turn it on again. This is only when it has not been run for a while. This lets the fuel pump charge the fuel rail. I just hope I'm not in a horror or suspense movie where I need to get the car running fast or the monster gets me.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? You may also have a small leak in the fuel line. Do you ever smell fuel? Sounds like the rail needs time to charge. If it works do it Let us know if this keeps working for you.

With my modified fuel rail I need to turn the key, let it charge a bit, then when I here the pump kick off, I shut it down and turn it on again. This is only when it has not been run for a while. This lets the fuel pump charge the fuel rail. I just hope I'm not in a horror or suspense movie where I need to get the car running fast or the monster gets me.

Good luck
Good one Chuck,

The best logical explanation provided so far based on the information set down.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!