Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Re: How to remove the rear view mirror.

Got it.
Took a small flat head screwdriver and pushed it in the space between metal frame and the plastic from the windshield side. Popped right off. Bad news is I'm going to need an OEM metal frame piece to mount my new mirror. Any one got a spare?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake

I made a braket when I installed my auto dimm.

Not the best pic.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM

The mirror I picked up has the glue to the windshield type mount and wiring cover. Problem is need the metal piece to remount the plastic cover to get a cleaner look. That's why I hope someone has a spare with a busted mirror since I only need the frame to get the mounting pieces.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The mirror I picked up has the glue to the windshield type mount and wiring cover. Problem is need the metal piece to remount the plastic cover to get a cleaner look. That's why I hope someone has a spare with a busted mirror since I only need the frame to get the mounting pieces.
My self dimming-compass-rear view mirrors glue to windshield also. The original bracket can be shortened... cut in the right place... and the plastic cover reinstalled with the circuit wires covered with the plastic things that come with the glue-on type kit. The attachment shows how mine looks. The visor is down as a reminder that the glued mirror bracket should be place far enough down and forward to allow for the visors to be brought down without not impeding the sides of your new self-dimming-compass-rear view mirror.
Wiring access would be reached by removing the component that houses the map-light switches, etc and using the existing wires. Current flow is practically non-existent.

Nice thing to have and if done correctly looks like a factory job!

Good luck,
Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (392.5 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by kwren; 01-01-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
... a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
My self dimming-compass-rear view mirrors glue to windshield also. The original bracket can be shortened... cut in the right place... and the plastic cover reinstalled with the circuit wires covered with the plastic things that come with the glue-on type kit. The attachment shows how mine looks. The visor is down as a reminder that the glued mirror bracket should be place far enough down and forward to allow for the visors to be brought down without not impeding the sides of your new self-dimming-compass-rear view mirror.
Wiring access would be reached by removing the component that houses the map-light switches, etc and using the existing wires. Current flow is practically non-existent.

Nice thing to have and if done correctly looks like a factory job!
Just confirming, so your new auto-dimming rearview is NOT mounted to the windshield but rather to the factory mount that you modified? Or are you saying you mounted it to the windshield & shortened the factory mount to use to hide the wires? Also, I see there are several of these mirrors out there, any particular one you recommend? My factory mirror is so loose I hate trying to flip the lever at night, this seems like a perfect solution!!

I hear what you're sayin', but whatta ya mean?!