Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM
keystoneaz

Hesitation going into gear

I have a 1996 SVX LSI.
Last year I had the front differential case replaced because of a leak from a crack in the case.
Then I replaced the rear differential after a fire caused heat damage to the rear differential seals.
Now I have a hesitation when you move the shifter from park to either reverse or drive. It will hesitate from 5 sec to 15 sec. Once it engages a drive gear it is ok as long as you keep it in gear. As soon as you put it in park then back into drive it repeats the problem.
The hesitation is less in the morning when the fluid is cold then it is once the fluid gets hot.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Was the entire transmission replaced or just the front diff case? Sounds like you get a new transmission and inherited the problem.

The problem sounds like either low line pressure and/or a slipping low/reverse clutch.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM
keystoneaz

Transmission is the original and has not been apart except for the work done on the front diff
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
keystoneaz

I was driving the car 2 days ago, and when I stopped at a red light a huge cloud of smoke came from beneith the car. I was able to get the car off the road before all the transmission fluid leaked out. The repair shop that I had it towed to informs me that a seal in the front of the transmission to the torque converter blew and he is suggesting rebuilding the tranny while he has it out. Since I still don't know what is causing the hesitation I'm wondering if it might be better to replace the tranny with one from another model Subaru. The cost to rebuild the original tranny is aprox. $3,500.00. I have read a lot of posts regarding tranny swaps with different gears but I need someone who has actually done it to advise me of the best possible match up for my situation and the cost to do so. My tranny guy is very knowledgable but he has never heard of the conversion being done. What are the pros and cons of doing the swap?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Front diff repair.

Doug, at a guess, I would say that when the front diff was done, they probably used the old oil seal on the pinion bearing. Now the seal is leaking the ATF from the box into the diff.
The hesitation going into R/D, is related to the oil pump gasket, that is also on the same plate as the pinion seal.

May be the two are related.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Doug, at a guess, I would say that when the front diff was done, they probably used the old oil seal on the pinion bearing. Now the seal is leaking the ATF from the box into the diff.
The hesitation going into R/D, is related to the oil pump gasket, that is also on the same plate as the pinion seal.

May be the two are related.

Harvey.
Harvey,

We have been instructed that you are the expert on transmissions. Why do you not give the members post proper attention and answer the questions put forward in full? At this point he is no further advanced.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 PM
keystoneaz

Harvey,
Sounds like you are sure of the cause for the hesitation.
It makes sence to me because both problems surfaced after the front diff was changed out.
How much work is involved in changing the seal and the pump gasket and can you advise me how much it should cost?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug maire
Harvey,
Sounds like you are sure of the cause for the hesitation.
It makes sence to me because both problems surfaced after the front diff was changed out.
How much work is involved in changing the seal and the pump gasket and can you advise me how much it should cost?
Yes mate, when the engine is at idle speed the flow of ATF is low, so it normally takes about 1 sec to engage the forward clutch or reverse clutch. If there is a leak at the pump, (as was caused by a faulty pump gasket on early models), it takes longer for the pressure to the clutch to build to engage.

As yours takes 5 to 15 seconds to engage it must have a major leak, and as you had the front of the trans worked on, I would suspect that some thing was disturbed at the pump area, when they did the diff.

The fix would be doing the same job again. Pulling the front diff off and replacing the seals and fixing the cause of the pump leak.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes mate, when the engine is at idle speed the flow of ATF is low, so it normally takes about 1 sec to engage the forward clutch or reverse clutch. If there is a leak at the pump, (as was caused by a faulty pump gasket on early models), it takes longer for the pressure to the clutch to build to engage.

As yours takes 5 to 15 seconds to engage it must have a major leak, and as you had the front of the trans worked on, I would suspect that some thing was disturbed at the pump area, when they did the diff.

The fix would be doing the same job again. Pulling the front diff off and replacing the seals and fixing the cause of the pump leak.

Harvey.
Major cost is involved if this post is taken as fact. Note the conflict in respect of "Yes mate"; "must have a major leak"; "The fix would be"; "If there is a leak" and "I would suspect".

Other causes are possible. Make sure you get a positive diagnosis before committing yourself to that which will be expansive.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
keystoneaz

Thanks to all of you that responded.
I am going to speak with the tranny shop who did the front diff repair and see if he will repair the front seal at no cost. The issue of the hesitation may be just a coincedence that occured as a result of the front diff repair.