How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
Brand New Engine

Ok, so my parents tell me I'm leaking oil on the driveway. I take it to the shop where we normally go for easy fixes. Long story short, he found the leak, but also found that my crankshaft was doing some serious damage. The pulley that it is attached to is moving, and it is wearing away at the timing case. He said there are two ways to fix it, a rebuild/overhaul, or a new engine. I went with the new engine. He sourced this engine from Indiana. I think he might have said that it is a JDM version of the H-6. With that came more questions I need answered. My first was, I have the ECUtune stage 1 installed. Will it be affected at all with the swap? Second, If it is the JDM version, will it be compatible with my wiring harness and ECU? Also, is there anything different between the US spec and JDM?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
just because the timing cover is getting eaten doesn't mean you need a new engine... almost all of my svxi have messed up timing covers... it is from pulley seperating not crank walk... Tell him to measure the tolerences of front to back motion on the crank and give you the masurements to see if they are out of spec... I think he either doesn't know what he is doing or he is trying to get some extra cash out of u

Tom
Old 01-01-2007, 03:25 PM

That is what I thought when he told me about it on the phone, but when I went to the shop to check it out, it was wobbling pretty hardcore. I could hear the pistons moving funny. It didnt sound right under the hood. I knew that there were tolerences, but this thing was all over the place. It had made uneven groves and mild cracks in it.
This engine has about 65,xxx on it. But the crappy part is, that the guy in Indiana keeps the core as part of the deal. At least now my trans and engine will be closer on mileage.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Frequent User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX PlayBoy
That is what I thought when he told me about it on the phone, but when I went to the shop to check it out, it was wobbling pretty hardcore. I could hear the pistons moving funny. It didnt sound right under the hood. I knew that there were tolerences, but this thing was all over the place. It had made uneven groves and mild cracks in it.
This engine has about 65,xxx on it. But the crappy part is, that the guy in Indiana keeps the core as part of the deal. At least now my trans and engine will be closer on mileage.

Pay attention to what Mr. TOMSSVX is saying....the harmonic balancer on the EG33 has a history of separating into two pieces, which will manifest itself as a wobbling balancer. What do you mean by "all over the place"? The EG33 is one of the strongest engines out there - capable of 300k miles with normal maintenance. How many miles does your current motor have on it?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
before you buy a whole new engine, do yourself a favor and pick up a new crank pulley and see if it fixes your issues... It is at least worth a shot

Tom
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
That is what I thought when he told me about it on the phone, but when I went to the shop to check it out, it was wobbling pretty hardcore. I could hear the pistons moving funny.
To echo what everyone else has posted: Mine did this, and it was just the pulley separating. The odd sound you're hearing could be the backside of the thing taking bites out of the timing belt cover. DO NOT let this guy sell you on an engine replacement until you are sure it's not just the pulley going bad.

Reading back, I see that you "went with the new engine." If it's too late, next time you'll do well to be sure of the problem before you start needlessly spending a truckload of $$$.

dcb
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 AM

listen to these guys advice. My pully was wobbling front to back and up and down. Ended up it wasn't even the pully itself, but the key that keeps the pulley from slipping around the shaft had stripped because whatever idiot mechanic had worked on my car last didn't tighten down the crankshaft bolt worth crap. Just pulled the old stripped pully and threw on an aluminum one. The crankshaft was a little beveled from all the slippage but we tightened the pully up enough so that its back to normal. Check into your problem a little closer before you let him go with that engine.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

No its the engine, if I read it right yours has 65k on it. Send that one to me and I'll send a core directly to the guy. I'll even pay shipping!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
No its the engine, if I read it right yours has 65k on it. Send that one to me and I'll send a core directly to the guy. I'll even pay shipping!

Ben,
beat me to it
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
OT for the last 2 posts

If you guys are actually interested in a "low" mileage engine, I'll have a "lowish" mileage (80k) engine available in the near future. PM if you're interested.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
If you guys are actually interested in a "low" mileage engine, I'll have a "lowish" mileage (80k) engine available in the near future. PM if you're interested.

I don't even want to think about the shipping from AZ to MD or PA
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
I don't even want to think about the shipping from AZ to MD or PA
-Bill

About the cost of 4 Harry's engines.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 PM

well i bought the engine and its being installed now so no use in thinking about that anymore. not to sounds ungreatful for you advice and comments. but I did have other questions about this swap. So since the engine is bought I was wondering if we could work on the other half
Old 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
well i bought the engine and its being installed now so no use in thinking about that anymore. not to sounds ungreatful for you advice and comments. but I did have other questions about this swap. So since the engine is bought I was wondering if we could work on the other half

I'd think to answer your question, more information would be needed such as is it a USM or JDM or other, what is the engine vin (so you know the year). Honestly I'd have that engine checked out by a professional (not your mechanic) before sending it in then go back to him with the results on the money he cost ya.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I'd think to answer your question, more information would be needed such as is it a USM or JDM or other, what is the engine vin (so you know the year). Honestly I'd have that engine checked out by a professional (not your mechanic) before sending it in then go back to him with the results on the money he cost ya.

yeah, what Ben said!
-Bill

My Locker